What's new

Can someone explain using Almond Milk?

kaXva

Kava Curious
I'm a little confused as to the process of using Almond/Soy/Coconut milk in your grog. Is it more of a to taste thing or does it increase the strength of the Kava?
Also if you were to use Almond milk, how do you make the grog? Is it added after you make your traditional prep or Aluball with water?

sorry for what is probably a really basic question...

Also....thoughts on a good heavy that is still available? Since my current favorite Supreme is sold out.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
It's for flavor. If you're gonna do it with an aluball, add the milk after shaking, so it does not gum up the screens.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
It's for flavor. If you're gonna do it with an aluball, add the milk after shaking, so it does not gum up the screens.
If I'm not mistaken, there are other "forms" of milk other than almond milk, that increase the strength if added during the prep, no ?
If that is what he is looking for, maybe we could suggest that ?

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
If I'm not mistaken, there are other "forms" of milk other than almond milk, that increase the strength if added during the prep, no ?
If that is what he is looking for, maybe we could suggest that ?
The idea is that adding fat does 2 things:
- it helps dissolve more kavalactones than water alone
- it forms a pickering emulsion with the starch naturally present in kava

To dissolve an appreciable amount of KL's you'd have to add a whole bunch of fat. More than what's in milk.

Using an emulsifier is a fine idea. However i've found that both dairy milk and non-dairy nut milks will congeal if you add them before kneading. A few drops of oil and a pinch of corn starch gets the job done better IMHO without turning into a soup of tiny gummy nuggets.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
The best effect i get is to drink a micronized on an empty stomach, then follow that with a fatty drink or food item and your gut will do a good job of digesting the lactones pretty effectively. I can usually feel the effects of eating the fatty food within 5 to 10 minutes

It will give me a "rush" for about 30 min. or so, then tapers off. It will make me feel flush and sometimes a little dizzy

Buddy Love

Quantum activist in the holographic playground
HeadHodge, how long after consuming the Micronized kava do you consume the fatty food or beverage? is it your chaser? or a bit later?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
HeadHodge, how long after consuming the Micronized kava do you consume the fatty food or beverage? is it your chaser? or a bit later?
I drink all the kava first then eat right after

My favorite is scrambled eggs covered with melted cheese and a side of bacon, ham, or pork sausage

Last edited: