What's new

Can someone give detailed aluball directions?

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
In reading so far, I've seen people talk about soaking and the number of washes per tablespoon. One post mentioned 3 to 4 tablespoons was 6 to 8 aluball washes. Can someone describe to me in detail how I should be doing this? Right now I'm putting 2 tablespoons in the ball, 400-500ml of water, shaking for about a minute, and then drinking about half, waiting maybe 30-60 minutes, then drinking the rest. Sometimes I'll drink the whole thing at once (2 shells?) I then throw out what's in the ball. Please let me know if there's a better way.

Thanks!

superspeedkit

Kava Curious
It sounds like you're doing it correctly, except you should try doing a second wash. Most kavas will give you a less strong, but still worthwhile second wash.
Some people buy a replacement Aluball, put both in and use more like 600ml of water. I recommend shaking 1 ball at a time to make them last longer if you do that. I think you also get a slightly stronger grog if you do 1 at a time since some of the extraction with the Aluball is from the force of the ball changing direction rapidly.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
It sounds like you're doing it correctly, except you should try doing a second wash. Most kavas will give you a less strong, but still worthwhile second wash.
Some people buy a replacement Aluball, put both in and use more like 600ml of water. I recommend shaking 1 ball at a time to make them last longer if you do that. I think you also get a slightly stronger grog if you do 1 at a time since some of the extraction with the Aluball is from the force of the ball changing direction rapidly.
I'll try that second wash. Thanks!

Kaptain Kava

Kava Curious
Personally I've found most effective to use the amount of tablespoons you tolerate. I fill the aluball which is about 3 tablespoon to a little over 2 cups of water and then I shake it for at least 10 minutes and then put the kava plant matter into a piece of t shirt and strain the rest into a cup of water for a second wash so that I know by touch that all the oils are getting out and none of the powder is going to waste in the trash.

schatz

itchin for kava
I have only been Aluballin for about a year now but I usually just fill one half of the ball and then screw together and fill to line on bottle and shake for two minutes (probably overkill) and drink while watching news at 5 and by the end, if its really strong kava it will be finished and I will then do a second wash and always get good effects from that. If the kava is not as strong sometimes I will drink my first wash before the second commercial in the news and then do my second wash. I usually do 2 Aluballs some times three depending on kava and what I am feeling like. I love my Aluball and dosen't get much easier than that but I still love doing the traditional prep when I have time.

Rick.Sanchez

Kava Enthusiast
I find that shaking for long enough gets most everything out. If i shake it for ten minutes, I don't get anything noticeable from a second wash.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
In reading so far, I've seen people talk about soaking and the number of washes per tablespoon. One post mentioned 3 to 4 tablespoons was 6 to 8 aluball washes.
Thanks!
I only fill the ball to just below the half way mark because the kava swells up after it gets wet and then you don't get much water flow through the ball. Usually 1.5 - 2 tbs for me.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Two AluBalls, about 1/3 full. Shake them together with 3/4 full of water for 30 seconds and you'll get a strong wash. Repeat until you're just getting lightish brown water (usually by the third wash for me).

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Blue Roads so the broad consensus is do it however you want! lol . I think there's nothing wrong with the way you do it but I add a third ball after the first two are washed out. I note what @superspeedkit says about one ball at a time and he may well have a point but I still seem to get a good session using 2 first and then adding a third.

superspeedkit

Kava Curious
@Blue Roads so the broad consensus is do it however you want! lol . I think there's nothing wrong with the way you do it but I add a third ball after the first two are washed out. I note what @superspeedkit says about one ball at a time and he may well have a point but I still seem to get a good session using 2 first and then adding a third.
Yea, doing 1 ball at a time certainly won't be the difference between a just ok and an amazing session. I like to think there's just enough of a difference to be noticeable, but I do it mainly to get more mileage out of them.

Munsoned

Kava Curious
If I don't use my second, or third pending on the type, wash the same night as my first I save it. The next night I will have another first wash with some fresh root, and then add the two currently used aluballs to my second wash from the prior night to add some extra strength to it. I use two aluballs at once.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
If I don't use my second, or third pending on the type, wash the same night as my first I save it. The next night I will have another first wash with some fresh root, and then add the two currently used aluballs to my second wash from the prior night to add some extra strength to it. I use two aluballs at once.
I can see why you do that but I prefer to use fresh root every night.

Nirad

Kava Curious
Here are some instructions I sent to another user in a PM that they said were useful: I usually put about 350-400 ml of liquid (~12 oz) and I fill the ball itself by filling the threaded half just up to the top of the screens. I find that filling my container to the right volume is more important than the exact amount of liquid, it allows for room to shake without slamming into the ends of the container. Usually just over half full. I kind of shake horizontal so that I can get the ball to slam against the water as it travels at a different rate. Kinda hard to explain but as long as you don't smack the ball against the ends of you container it should help to make it last longer. I have heard of some people cracking parts of both by doing that too hard. For a second wash I leave the same kava in the ball and use fresh water. You can either drink this or use it as the starter water for you next batch. I usually throw the whole rig in the fridge after the first, then when I'm ready for more do a second wash, decant into my cup, refill the ball and return the water, shake and enjoy!

Rick.Sanchez

Kava Enthusiast
Honestly aluballing is as simple as filling it up with at least the recommended minimum amount of water, putting in a kava filled aluball, and shaking for at least 30 seconds. The rest is personal preference.

I was wondering how anyone could afford to drink kava on a daily. I'm still a bit confused
We bought a half pound from Bula Kava. I made two batches with one cup kava powder, 4 cups water. Put in the bag, kneaded, twisted all water out n repeated 15 mins. Second time using it. Drank 6 ounces half hour ago, going to drink 4-6 more. I've seen the balls and wondered why the package mentioned tablespoons. Have severe anxiety. Maybe that's why I don't feel much effect but at this rate a half pound bag will last 3 nights for 2 people

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I was wondering how anyone could afford to drink kava on a daily. I'm still a bit confused
We bought a half pound from Bula Kava. I made two batches with one cup kava powder, 4 cups water. Put in the bag, kneaded, twisted all water out n repeated 15 mins. Second time using it. Drank 6 ounces half hour ago, going to drink 4-6 more. I've seen the balls and wondered why the package mentioned tablespoons. Have severe anxiety. Maybe that's why I don't feel much effect but at this rate a half pound bag will last 3 nights for 2 people

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I drink 2 - 4 litres of kava every day and it costs me about $4 - $5 dollars a day. I drink a huge amount of kava, though, from when I get up in the morning to shortly before bedtime. I have posted some videos on YouTube about how you can use different techniques in preparation to get a lot more out of your medium grind. I typically get about six times as much grog out my my grind as I did when starting out. That brings the cost down drastically.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Two AluBalls, about 1/3 full. Shake them together with 3/4 full of water for 30 seconds and you'll get a strong wash. Repeat until you're just getting lightish brown water (usually by the third wash for me).
Thought I read that if you fill the bottle that low with water, that the extra space in the bottle created by less water, causes greater force in the how hard the ball hits the bottle during shaking. That greater force will make the ball more likely to crack sooner.
And therefore it should be filled at least 2/3 or more, of water ?
Is that not true ?