What's new

Kava Preparation Can You Freeze Grog?

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Traditional prep is gratifying in its own way. But sadly I'm having a hard time finding folks to drink some kava with, which means I make a lot of kava and I don't drink it all (not without krunking myself over). Is it possible to freeze kava grog to extend its shelf life? I know refrigerated shelf life is not terribly long.

Advice is more than welcome!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Traditional prep is gratifying in its own way. But sadly I'm having a hard time finding folks to drink some kava with, which means I make a lot of kava and I don't drink it all (not without krunking myself over). Is it possible to freeze kava grog to extend its shelf life? I know refrigerated shelf life is not terribly long.

Absolutely. Frozen grog is fine. Just thaw it out, stir well or shake to re-blend and it is wonderful. Good to take along on a long trip. As it thaws, you sip a bit. Wait for more to thaw, more sips. Especially welcome on hot days.

Zaphod

Kava Lover

Sure. Just make sure to leave space for it to expand. Some folks have made kava ice cubes to throw in their grog to cool it down but not dilute it. As for refrigeration I have found it just fine for 2-3 days sealed up tightly in a mason jar. Although there was a recent article posted about a study that shows it does go bad pretty quickly so I am inclined to not let it go much further than that.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Re: short shelf life of refrigerated kava -- it's not that short. I've had kava in the fridge for 2 weeks and it was fine.
Tastes a little wonky -- not as much "edge" to it, but the effects were fully intact.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Sure. Just make sure to leave space for it to expand. Some folks have made kava ice cubes to throw in their grog to cool it down but not dilute it. As for refrigeration I have found it just fine for 2-3 days sealed up tightly in a mason jar. Although there was a recent article posted about a study that shows it does go bad pretty quickly so I am inclined to not let it go much further than that.
Genius! I almost never use warm water, cause it makes me want to puke if I drink hot kava (though it makes kneading go quicker). I figure the convenience of making it quick and not wanting to puke outweighs the benefits of warm water. But if I had 5 kava cubes to toss into a shell that'd be pretty rad.