What's new

Kava Culture Canada and Kava

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Hey guys and gals. This thread is more for us Canadians who can group together and perhaps eliminate the stigma and help sort out the legal red tape on why Kava powder is not legally allowed to be sold in the country ( Capsules are however...Health Canada 2012. I'll post the link afterwards). And to all of my other cousins from around the big sphere in the universe we call earth, your opinions, recommendations and genuine insight are/is very well wanted, needed and will be listened to.

Thanks ahead of time to all of you who read this thread and join the conversation. Happy groggin' and as @Roaddog says - much love.

Cheers,

Kava_newbie

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It's quite legal as I understand it from our Canadian posters? Or at least, they haven't had any problems importing kava powder.

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
It's quite legal as I understand it from our Canadian posters? Or at least, they haven't had any problems importing kava powder.

Oh we can import it for personal consumption. But why can't we have these Kava bars like some of the states in America? Why can health food stores sell capsules and not the actual powder... just a thread to ask some questions and maybe someone who is in this fine community has some more legal expertise etc...that may be able to shed some light on the topic.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
As far as I can tell, all the restrictions were lifted two years ago. The lack of nakamals could be down to lack of interest. There really aren't all that many in the States, even in Hawaii. You generally won't find quality kava products sold in brick and mortar stores other than nakamals.

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
I have a feeling health food stores don't sell quality product. I've only found the one brand that any stores carry around here. ( "NOW Canada" is the name) I found the last jar of capsules in a 40 mile radius today after numerous phone calls and window shopping. Kava is for sure a product that hardly anyone has heard of in my neck of the woods. Hence I'd like to spread the word. We have to start somewhere, and this is as good a place as any to begin the process of informing people and making some positive changes.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I have a feeling health food stores don't sell quality product. I've only found the one brand that any stores carry around here. ( "NOW Canada" is the name) I found the last jar of capsules in a 40 mile radius today after numerous phone calls and window shopping. Kava is for sure a product that hardly anyone has heard of in my neck of the woods. Hence I'd like to spread the word. We have to start somewhere, and this is as good a place as any to begin the process of informing people and making some positive changes.
Yea, you need to place an order with @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava . Simply because he has quality Kava, at a descent price.Yes the health food store stuff, is usually bunk. If you can find it, in them. I don't know of a place local I can buy it. I live in the USA. Much love. Roaddog....

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
As far as I can tell, all the restrictions were lifted two years ago. The lack of nakamals could be down to lack of interest. There really aren't all that many in the States, even in Hawaii. You generally won't find quality kava products sold in brick and mortar stores other than nakamals.
Yeah, the kava bars are pretty rare here. The only 2 I even know of are in Florida and Oregon. I'm sure there are more, but the chances of finding one in your town/city in the USA is pretty slim.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Yeah, the kava bars are pretty rare here. The only 2 I even know of are in Florida and Oregon. I'm sure there are more, but the chances of finding one in your town/city in the USA is pretty slim.
Believe it or not there are a few more. I think there is one in Austin Texas. I have even thought about it here. Everyone I have turned it on too, likes it. Its almost too knew, for kava bars. Especially in Canada, where a restriction had to be lifted. Much Love. Roaddog....

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Off the top of my head: A lot in Florida with very hit and miss reputations, two in N.C. owned by @Andrew Procyk, one in Austin, New York, a handful in Hawaii. I'm sure there are a couple others I am missing, but there's probably less than 30 total outside of Pacific island nations.

And of course as @Roaddog said kava hit a massive legal stumbling block most everywhere in the early aughts that it's now recovering from. Another reason we need to ensure that kava on the market is safe to consume.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Off the top of my head: A lot in Florida with very hit and miss reputations, two in N.C. owned by @Andrew Procyk, one in Austin, New York, a handful in Hawaii. I'm sure there are a couple others I am missing, but there's probably less than 30 total outside of Pacific island nations.

And of course as @Roaddog said kava hit a massive legal stumbling block most everywhere in the early aughts that it's now recovering from. Another reason we need to ensure that kava on the market is safe to consume.
I own a floating Nakamal but by invitation only!!! :)