What's new

Celebrate the life of yo shells...

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
This day marks the loss of my favorite kava shell... it has served me well, but i discovered a crack on it.

I got a pack of 4 from https://www.coconutbowls.com/ . I like to use a slightly oversized shell because i dont fill it to the brim. This was the smallest bowl in the pack, so it was only ~1.333x the size of the Kavafied Alushell give or take.

My fault. I thought my shells were looking a bit dry. I saw it as i was restoring them with a bit of coconut oil. Thats why the shell looks so shiny and new, but ha a huge crack in it. I WAS TOO LATE! :nailbiting:

Now my other shells are polished up, but now I will definitely be better about keeping my shells shiny. There arent a whole lot of coconuts laying around in Baltimore for me to make drinking shells, so i got to work with what I got. BULA!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Señor Chuggs From my past experiments with instant, I've acquired a little square vacuum chamber. I vacuumed a shell down with olive oil when I first got it. It sits above where the heat comes out from the fridge and to this day it's still as water repellent and as dark as it was when I took it out. No cracks. Olive oil seems to work to keep it from drying out.

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
ooh yeah sounds like the vacuum chamber works almost like a curing oven for the thing.

I personally like the aromatics imparted by the coconut oil. It makes my shell look, feel, and smell fresh. Part of me thinks it helps the kava taste fresh too.

on the other hand, olive oil may polymerize better, which might be good for a base coat. Im thinking of it like the way cast iron pans are maintained. not sure if thats the right analogy.