What's new

chewing kava kava

aviavieu

Kava Enthusiast
I read on one side that you can chew the roots of Kava and go to economically.

What should I know about chewing and how it feels compared to a kava. How long do you need to chew? What is the dosage? Are teeth destroyed with this method?

I apologize when it was such a topic but long ago no one wrote about it so I bet

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Chewing fresh root is easy and tastes relatively good. Just chew, swallow the juice...and after a while you spit out the remaining fibers. It will give you a light buzz or mild anxiety relief. You would still have to chew a lot of it to equal the effect of a proper kneaded batch of kava. It’s definitely not some economical trick that will make pinch of root as effective as a traditional mix.

Dry root, which is likely what you would have access to, tastes significantly worse to chew and is much more difficult to chew. It’s not necessarily bad for your teeth, but it’s incredibly labor intensive for your jaw...you won’t want to do it for long.

I’ve chewed entire batches of fresh root, dry whole roots and dry powder. In each case it’s very annoying, unpleasant and unnecessary. None of it resulted in any advantage that would make it worth doing again.

So, in my opinion, the only use for this method is putting one small amount of root in your mouth to chew on for a quick and mild effect. — an effect that could be much more easily attained with a single Aluball or 1 or 2 kava candies.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I chew it all, tiny waka, fat waka, lawena chunks. It's like a minor subset of kava. Pleasant for when you are doing something else or just sitting outside and scratching yourself. It will not give you a krunk, unlike chewing fresh root, but it will give you a short lasting pleasant kava glow, similar to eating a kava candy. It's very enjoyable, though. I especially love taking a fat section of waka and let it sit in my mouth until the saliva softens it up and you sort of scrape the soft kavalactone-rich outer part of the root with your front teeth, much like eating fresh tamarind from their pods with the seed inside, both in technique and in texture, as they are both silky and velveteeny. The taste if fine, tastes like kava, and you get a very strong numbing sensation throughout your mouth.

As a pleasant experience, if you're up for weirdish things it's pleasant. It is not, however, in any way a replacement for drinking grog, just as pointed out by
sɥɐʞɐs