What's new

Chewing roots.

Hello everyone and hope your day is a good one.
I have come across something that has really been helpful this week and I'm sure it's probably been mentioned in the forums. Well, I ran a bit low on Kava (forgot to order) and had to chew on some dry roots for a few days early this week. It's actually nice, to be honest. But, I have found that chewing a root earlier in the day really increases the intensity of my session that night. And it is taking me about half of the usual amount of grind to really hit me hard. Ironically, 1 tablespoon is hitting me harder than 2 would have without chewing a root earlier in the day. I usually have shells at 8 pm or so. But, I'm finding that if I chew on a root around 4-5 pm, it really sets the stage for a great night. Kavalactones in the bloodstream? Placebo? - not sure. But, 1 tablespoon has hit me hard two nights in a row. Even more so than if I would have had a normal 2 tablespoons without chewing. Fingers crossed it will continue. lol
Has anyone noticed this before?
It's about a 4-hour window between chewing the root and then a session. So, I'm assuming its Kavalactones in the bloodstream. But, I do like the effects of a root earlier and then a great session that night. Hope it continues.
A shell to all of you and have a good one.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I'll have to try this and see if I get that effect. I find it quite pleasant to chew roots but only ever notice very mild effects, of course, since it's really a very small quantity when I chew. When I chew waka I just let it sit in my mouth till the outer stuff softens and then I scrape it off with my teeth and usually swallow it, then chew the hard inner root for a few more minutes and then spit that woody stuff out.

I do definitely notice an effect from adding kava to kava, e.g. having some extract after a big shell or a candy. Very nice. Or going the kalmakaze route, drinking shells and then some KWK concentrate drink. Very nice

Thx for sharing!
How are you managing your chewing? I guess you don't swallow it but how much time and how many at a time?
I just take a small piece and chew on it for 20-30 minutes. I am guesstimating the sizes range around the spectrum of .5" by .3" or so. Not too big. I just spit out the fibers thereafter.
Well, maybe I'm on a lucky streak, but this is the third night of doing this and the Kava is really hitting hard. By the way, what is the estimate of the retention of the Kavalactones in the bloodstream? I am betting this is simply an accumulation type of thing. Probably the same if I were to have shells instead of the roots at that time. But, I have noticed the roots seem to cross those walls a bit more consistently.

Last edited:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I just take a small piece and chew on it for 20-30 minutes. I am guesstimating the sizes range around the spectrum of .5" by .3" or so. Not too big. I just spit out the fibers thereafter.
Well, maybe I'm on a lucky streak, but this is the third night of doing this and the Kava is really hitting hard. By the way, what is the estimate of the retention of the Kavalactones in the bloodstream? I am betting this is simply an accumulation type of thing. Probably the same if I were to have shells instead of the roots at that time. But, I have noticed the roots seem to cross those walls a bit more consistently.
It would be neat to have a study done on the half life of kava. I believe we have some estimates but don't know exactly.

This root chewing fascinates me. I may have to try it!