What's new

Clean socks as strainers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firedog

Kava Curious
Hey guys i was wondering if i should be wary of using clean socks as a cheap trad prep method, on account of residual detergent that might be in the fibres. I dunno maybe im being anxious over nothing but the last batch a made ended up tasting like a laundry basket :grumpy:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hey guys i was wondering if i should be wary of using clean socks as a cheap trad prep method, on account of residual detergent that might be in the fibres. I dunno maybe im being anxious over nothing but the last batch a made ended up tasting like a laundry basket :grumpy:
Better than dirty socks, anyway. I have a kava that smells and tastes like laundry, sort of laundry crossed with what a small wad of $20 bills smells like. It's not bad kava, either, and I drink it. Just taste like laundry is all.

I would suggest that the sooner you can get some decent prep gear, be it proper strainer bags or nut milk bags or a blender with fine strainers or AluBall, the better. The two reasons being, of course, proper extraction of the max kavalactones and avoiding ingesting the indigestible bits of dried, ground central waka root, and lawena, for that matter, both of which can cause stomach upset and increase the odds of getting dermo (though it is true that ingesting that stuff does make you a bit krunkier, especially the heavy and couchlocking parts of the krunk, but that comes at a risk or cost, alas - all strictly IMO, of course, I have no idea if it is actually true). In the meantime clean pantyhose from the store, white T-shirts, cheesecloth, etc, these will all do the trick as a short term solution, but I think proper prep gear is a much better way to go.

Firedog

Kava Curious
Better than dirty socks, anyway. I have a kava that smells and tastes like laundry, sort of laundry crossed with what a small wad of $20 bills smells like. It's not bad kava, either, and I drink it. Just taste like laundry is all.

I would suggest that the sooner you can get some decent prep gear, be it proper strainer bags or nut milk bags or a blender with fine strainers or AluBall, the better. The two reasons being, of course, proper extraction of the max kavalactones and avoiding ingesting the indigestible bits of dried, ground central waka root, and lawena, for that matter, both of which can cause stomach upset and increase the odds of getting dermo (though it is true that ingesting that stuff does make you a bit krunkier, especially the heavy and couchlocking parts of the krunk, but that comes at a risk or cost, alas - all strictly IMO, of course, I have no idea if it is actually true). In the meantime clean pantyhose from the store, white T-shirts, cheesecloth, etc, these will all do the trick as a short term solution, but I think proper prep gear is a much better way to go.
Yeah i think thats the way to go. Also i actually strain my grog when i pour it into a cup through a little tea seive after kneading it up, just to catch any sneaky fibres or sock bits or dog hairs (they get everywhere, even into my dang grog ). Seems to work for now but yeah ill definitely be looking for something dedicated so i dont have to keep stressing out my socks and having laundry taste.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah i think thats the way to go. Also i actually strain my grog when i pour it into a cup through a little tea seive after kneading it up, just to catch any sneaky fibres or sock bits or dog hairs (they get everywhere, even into my dang grog ). Seems to work for now but yeah ill definitely be looking for something dedicated so i dont have to keep stressing out my socks and having laundry taste.
That sieve at the end is an excellent idea. Salvaged a few mishaps that way.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Kavafied's cheapest strainer bag has lasted me almost a year with no complaints and still going strong. Its listed at about 7 dollars.
But yeah, personally, I wouldn't be too paranoid about detergent. I mean- if that amount was gonna kill you, I'd think they'd have a warning on it not to use it on baby clothes.
If I was gonna be paranoid, I'd just be paranoid about residual feet that didn't get replaced with detergent. Ew.

Though if you got white sock but want them to match a pair of yellow shoes, then by all means...

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Kavafied's cheapest strainer bag has lasted me almost a year with no complaints and still going strong. Its listed at about 7 dollars.
But yeah, personally, I wouldn't be too paranoid about detergent. I mean- if that amount was gonna kill you, I'd think they'd have a warning on it not to use it on baby clothes.
If I was gonna be paranoid, I'd just be paranoid about residual feet that didn't get replaced with detergent. Ew.

Though if you got white sock but want them to match a pair of yellow shoes, then by all means...
Greasy
Neon lemonygreen, specifically.

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
I think an actual strainer bag (or at least pantyhose) will last longer, work better, and be less sketchy in general.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah. Also i try to limit fibres as much as possible. For whatever reason if i get too many makas in my grog i get into hangover territory.
If you're like me you don't have many guests. But if you do have guests, I'm guessing the use of your clean used socks might not go over the best either.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hmmm, yeah nope. I would have to be real desperate to use a clean sock. It might work okay in a pinch, but I would be more likely to toss-n-wash then use a sock. If you got amazon prime order up a few kavafied strainers and they will be at your door in a jiffy. I have had two different nylon strainer bags and they have lasted well over a year, with careful washing afterwords.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Like others are saying, even with the cheapest strainer bag you'll probably get better results. I was travelling and forgot to bring a strainer. So frustrating since I brought all my other prep gear. I tried using a T-shirt, it looked like it would work well since I could partially see through it but it didn't let enough particles through so the grog was very weak. Gotta keep a spare strainer in the car now just in case.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
If you're like me you don't have many guests. But if you do have guests, I'm guessing the use of your clean used socks might not go over the best either.
my wife is so pretty I would happily drink grog out of her dirty socks but please please please oh merciful heavens don't tell her I said that or she'll make me actually do it just to prove I'm not full of crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.