What's new

Cleaning strainer bags

amani

Kava Curious
Hi
After re-using my 3 strainer bags for several weeks I became deathly ill for several hours. Could not getting the bags clean cause illness?

Mixnpickngrinnin

Kava Curious
not sure if its that but i did learn that with some types of kavas (mostly Vanuatu and Solomons IME) they can leave a sticky waxy like resin on the bag thats hard to clean. Rubbing alcohol does the trick. Moslty i just hand wash with soap and hot water.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I usually just rinse the bag out and make sure the bag is clear of root. My bag is one that Cactus Kava used to give away with every order years ago. Its not made of natural fiber, so that may make a difference as a natural fiber bag such as muslin might be more prone to retaining microbes.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi
After re-using my 3 strainer bags for several weeks I became deathly ill for several hours. Could not getting the bags clean cause illness?
Use dish soap and warm water, once a month (sooner if you drink a lot). They should last about a year or two. They are inexpensive enough to have at least one as a backup. Always rinse thoroughly between uses with warm water.

Coral Sea Kava

Kava Vendor
I make sure when cleaning mine I thoroughly rinse both inside and out, and then massage some dish soap in for 5-10 seconds before rinsing again. Then I hang it on my dish rack to dry.

I’ve found soaking my bag for 5-10 min occasionally in near boiling water with dish soap after rinsing it out will remove quite a bit of the lactones built up. I’ll stir it and dump the water out and if it needs it do another pass or two. Usually after the first soak most of the buildup washes out. After three it’s cleared out. There might be staining on the bag especially if it’s nylon mesh but it will be clean and strain effectively still.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Love that fresh taste. Boiled my strainer and squished it under running cold water with gloves on, stretched it out, plopped it in a clean rinsed bowl of ice cold water
Measured and dropped in 1/2 cup waka Squanch roots into the open strainer. With well rinsed gloves squeeze for a few minutes.
Freeze roots in bag seal the air out
Rinse strainer inside and out, hang to dry
Mix kava well, drink a Bula Shell!

Dylan Knable

Country Grits
I typically just rinse my bag out and hang it up to dry. Every once in a while I’ll make sure to throw it in some boiling water to get the buildup off. Otherwise, I never have any issues!

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe it is different in very humid climate where microbes could grow? No problems so far. Cotton absorbs more. Nylon - not so much.