What's new

Cleaning strainer cloth

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
Just finished squeezing out a very nice batch in my Fiji strainer bag. As I usually do, I placed it on a rack behind my sink to air dry, while I went off to enjoy the well earned fruits of my labor. Later on, or tomorrow morning I will empty the dried gunk out into the garbage can and wash it really well with just water and again dry it in the rack for the next time. I've done this now, maybe 2 dozen times or so (I honestly haven't kept track of exact numbers).

But it has me thinking. Am I taking care of the strainer cloth well enough here? Am I setting myself up for some kind of issue from a lack of proper sanitation on the strainer? Or maybe there is just a limit to the number of times you use one of these things.

Any thoughts or advice on this topic much appreciated!

Thanks.

D

Deactivated Account

Later on, or tomorrow morning I will empty the dried gunk out into the garbage can and wash it really well .
I only ever use stockings however back when I did use a straining cloth i remember the worst thing to do to it was let it dry out with old kava in it. It just seemed to really block it up.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I found that the bag will eventually take on a slight starchy feeling regardless of what you do. Emptying the old kava and "washing" it right away just prolongs the time before this will happen.

I found that turning the tap on as hot as you can handle it and "washing" laundry-style the old fashioned way (without the washboard) gets it out rather well.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I always empty out the kava after I finish kneading, give it a hell of a good squeezing/rinsing under some water. If theres a limit on the number of times you can use one, I havent found it yet. It's dank and leaves yellow stains on paper towels but it still works the same.

D

Deactivated Account

I remember I used to use a woman's hair scarf & I would occasionally drop it into the washing machine with my clothes. That cleaned it right up. It can be a steep hill drinking kava...you don't need to make it steeper through negligence of method.

Doobie Doo

Thanks for the replies. My take away is to always wash it out right after a squeezing session..instead of waiting a day.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I'll dump the squeezed kava immediately into another container, add water and store in the fridge until i use that leftover in part of a new batch of kava sometime later. Just in case there are any rogue kavalactones hanging around :joyful:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
After each batch of kava I make I rinse my strainers out in scalding hot water, and roll them up in a dish towel (which, consequently, has been tinted a bright yellow color) squeeze, and then set them back in the drawer. If you want to clean all traces of kava, then get yourself a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and soak them in it for a few minutes. Only do that if you're using colorless strainers, because I believe the isopropyl can react with the colorants.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
After many many years of drinking 'Awa (Kava) and using as many different straining methods I could, I just use the short nylon knee high stockings at wall-mart, I use it for as long as it lasts and then get a new one, I put one stocking in the other so it is doubled up but it works real well, especially if you use the boiling method to prepare your 'Awa.
Aloha

Chris

Doobie Doo

Kewl method Henry.. I like it. Sanitized for your protection...or for delivery of a child....which ever needs comes first. :bored:

ravahavakava

Kava Curious
I use a Fijian bag, which rinses or very easily, but eventually gets kind of tacky from resin. I drop it in a solution of oxyclean, which goes bright yellow. Agitate, then rinse thoroughly. Good as new.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2