What's new

Coconut Kava cup,few questions....

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Alright guys,so trying to stay as traditional as possible while enjoying kava...everyone wants a coconut cup or shell...
I see them for sale at various places online,all different sizes and shapes ect,I originaly ordered mind from ebay,got 2 for 12bucks or so...
Well when I got them they are tiny! The ones I got are nothing like the ones I see everyone else use,they could prolly hold 1-2oz max!
Looks like the good ones hold around 4-6oz...
So instead of wasting more money on more coconut shells,and have to pay way to much for shipping them,I decided to look into making them,read few pages about it from google,also watch few videos on youtube,looks fairly straight forward:)

So last night while at the grocery store I checked out the coconuts,there cheap,$1.50 apiece...so I got one,a large one,that when cut in half should hold plenty of kava:)
So I cut it in half,proceeded to scrape out the coconut meat and relized that instead of spending an hour scraping out the coconut flesh,I figured out that u can simply slide a knife in between the outside shell,and the back of the coconut flesh,when u slide knife in and pull back,it breaks off perfectly,so I was able to have a perfectly cleaned out coconut shell in 10mins!
Now Im going to spend a little while with different sand papers and clean out and smooth out the inside and outside,and clean up with rim of the cup as well...already looks great but I will post pics when its all finished:)

What does everyone else do to drink kava? do u use a regular glass or do most of you prefer to drink out of coconut shells?
Also,to anyone that makes there own cups/shells....do u have any helpful hints or tricks to it?
I kinda might wana try a light stain on the outside,not sure but heard your sopose to use a safe kind for use with food?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
That is great that your making your own coconut kava cups, it sounds cheaper than the ones you bought. If you get a few hundred of them I will buy some from you. ;) I drink kava so much that I just use my instant or micronized kava and put it in an old bottle with a lid, I add the kava and the water and I shake and enjoy and then sleep soooooooo gooooood. :sleep:
Aloha.

Chris

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
haha I bet! :)
I love working with my hands,and after hearing about possibly being able to make them at home,I was like...what the heck! I kinda like the fact that coconuts are all different shapes and sizes,will make for some interesting kava shells :D
I will try and get few pics up as soon as I finish the one Im working on,but defently glad I decided to make my own!
Another cool thing would be to carve in some cool designs or somthing,I do love art and drawing ect,so maybe down the road I will see what I can come up with,lol...:)

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
just looked at that company,they have alot of stuff! alot of different coconut shells as well,looks like minuim order is 50bucks,which sucks,and they charge 10 extra for ordering only 50 bucks worth,lol...
well wont be putting up pics tonight,i sanded down my shell I made,looked great,but I think I should have used the other end of the coconut for the cup instead,I used the end with the 3 hole things, "kinda like bowling ball" for by bottom,figured they were hard,......nope,
sanding out the inside and got a finger sized hole in the bottom,so gona restart again and get a few different coconuts next time,well tomarrow lol...this time I will use the other end as my bottom and should work fine:)

blindy107

Kava Lover
I picked up one from whole foods. So that means it was priced double what it should have been. That being said, it holds like 1.7 cups of liquid. Big shells! With micro I use a protein shaker with metal ball to break up the clumps.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I can get get them for $1 a piece, already sanded. No minimum order but you'd have to pay postage from Asia. Maybe someone in the US could buy a bunch, then distribute to other forum members at cost?

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I can get get them for $1 a piece, already sanded. No minimum order but you'd have to pay postage from Asia. Maybe someone in the US could buy a bunch, then distribute to other forum members at cost?
Years ago I made my own. I was told how some people do it in Fiji and it worked well but took a long time. I cut a coconut in half and then after clearing out the meat, I took pieces of glass and just scraped and scraped away until it was blade-like thin. I might have sanded it a bit too. I was told they also bury them in mangrove mud to impart a darker color, but there weren't any mangroves at hand.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
I might have sanded it a bit too. I was told they also bury them in mangrove mud to impart a darker color, but there weren't any mangroves at hand.
Yes the sanding is necessary because the glass leaves it pretty rough and scratched.
Mangroves row over the best mud, but any swamp or always-wet drain will do :)