What's new

Kava Preparation Combining medium grind with instant

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Well, I heard you liked kava, so I put some kava in your kava.

After a recent discussion hereabouts concerning the "recipe" for some blends at http://forneyenterprisekava.com/kava-products/fivestar-kava the sense of it instantly occured to me, if somewhat belatedly since it should have occcured to me ages ago. You can achieve effects by combining medium grind with instant, especially if the instant is made from green or fresh kava.

So, in the interest of ....................... SCIENCE!!!!!!!!! I conducted a wee experiment. Gather closely and I shell relate to you the details.

The recipe: 3 TBS Squanch Waka plus 1 TBS Green Vanuatu Instant. Prepared by spreading the two equally into 2 AluBalls, shaken in 500 ml cold tap water for a minute, pour that into a large jug, then do a second wash with 400 ml and shake for two minutes, decant to the large jug with the first wash, combine them by shaking then pour over ice.

Taste: tastes fine, not objectionable but neither gains from being combined. Each has their distinct character on their own and neither improves.

Effects: very pleasant. Has just a bit of extra edge the way forney's do, but this can in no way rival or displace what they produce, they are masters at this. It would take me years of experimentation on this theme before I could come close.

Conclusion: worth doing some time if only to say "yeah, I did that" but I'd be lying if I said you'd really be missing something if you didn't. Given the ingredients, there was no way in hell this was going to be bad, or at least the odds were very very low and it would have been a fluke. I figure I'll mostly leave this to the true wizards and only dabble occasionally. It does have a bit of a kick, though. Oh, and you constantly need to keep shaking or stirring this if you are not chugging as the instant accumulates on the bottom faster than the rest.

Last edited:

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Well, I heard you liked kava, so I put some kava in your kava.

After a recent discussion hereabouts concerning the "recipe" for some blends at http://forneyenterprisekava.com/kava-products/fivestar-kava the sense of it instantly occured to me, if somewhat belatedly since it should have occcured to me ages ago. You can achieve effects by combining medium grind with instant, especially if the instant is made from green or fresh kava.

So, in the interest of ....................... SCIENCE!!!!!!!!! I conducted a wee experiment. Gather closely and I shell relate to you the details.

The recipe: 3 TBS Squanch Waka plus 1 TBS Green Vanuatu Instant. Prepared by spreading the two equally into 2 AluBalls, shaken in 500 ml cold tap water for a minute, pour that into a large jug, then do a second wash with 400 ml and shake for two minutes, decant to the large jug with the first wash, combine them by shaking then pour over ice.

Taste: tastes fine, not objectionable but neither gains from being combined. Each has their distinct character on their own and neither improves.

Effects: very pleasant. Has just a bit of extra edge the way forney's do, but this can in no way rival or displace what they produce, they are masters at this. It would take me years of experimentation on this theme before I could come close.

Conclusion: worth doing some time if only to say "yeah, I did that" but I'd be lying if I said you'd really be missing something if you didn't. Given the ingredients, there was no way in hell this was going to be bad, or at least the odds were very very low and it would have been a fluke. I figure I'll mostly leave this to the true wizards and only dabble occasionally. It does have a bit of a kick, though. Oh, and you constantly need to keep shaking or stirring this if you are not chugging as the instant accumulates on the bottom faster than the rest.
I got my Kava Kauai 5 Star today. The grind looks pretty similar to that of the kava on the website you linked to; very fine and clumpy. Kinda sticks together; easy to scoop very heaping tbs.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Instant is dehydrated Kava juice and medium grind is just pure ground root. I would think the only danger would be if the Instant didn't completely dilute. However, that shouldn't be an issue as you are dunking and squeezing anyhow. I personally don't like Instant Kava because of it's desiccating feeling on the palate. I know, I get a bit carried away with my love for the flavor of Kava :ROFLMAO::p::chugger::::KavaChug::::tanoafull::

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
ah, but if you are drinking nambawan you are drinking instant, at least some, as it is part of the blend. I wonder how many other kavas we all drink might have some instant in the blend? I could see where it would work in equalizing potency across batches. I do think that a lot of the blends we have with euphoria that is often a function of the proportion of the lawena in the mix. But now I am wondering either if instant is already in some mixes, just so I can figure on if I do add instant to medium grind in the future I won't waste my time if it's already there. My guess is you don't want a lot of instant in any mix, just enough, because the grind is the star. Although I think in nambawan it is there as much for the flavour, imparting that real Vanuatu taste, as it is for potency.

disclaimer: the only instants I've ever had are the green Vanuatu, mainly so I could train my palate, but heck, it is lovely, and also the homemade instants I make by milling flakes of dried kava. At the bottom of a shell or jar there is sometimes soft silky sediment left so I pour that on a saucer or plate depending on quantity and I let it dry for about 24 hours or so and then scrape it off and either just eat the nice big flakes, under the tongue, or mill it in a coffee grinder to use as an instant or for adding to smoothies. This works better in the winter, when the ambient air is significantly drier, IMO.
Ha! I've been wondering when you'd talk about your kava flakes again. Its been awhile!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Huh, interesting. I don't recall BKH ever saying as much...are you speculating here or has someone let you in on the secret recipe?
Oooops, sorry, brainfahrt nach Mein Bad, we were talking about Five Star from Forney and I got confused for a moment. Indeed, my statements apply to the Five Star sold wholesale by Forney Enterprises, as they mention that about the blend on their product page. So, this is all just speaking about that, whether it applies elsewhere or to any vendor's product I do not know. I blame extreme old age for my lapse.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Oooops, sorry, brainfahrt nach Mein Bad, we were talking about Five Star from Forney and I got confused for a moment. Indeed, my statements apply to the Five Star sold wholesale by Forney Enterprises, as they mention that about the blend on their product page. So, this is all just speaking about that, whether it applies elsewhere or to any vendor's product I do not know. I blame extreme old age for my lapse.
Pretty sure it applies to Kava Kauai's Five Star too! :)

P.S. Thanks for the clarification; I was wondering the same thing as @Zaphod!
(Though I got a pound of Nambawan on the way in any case! Man, I've been spending A LOT on kava lately.)

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I don't think the 5 star is blended with instant. From the description on the site :

"Five star kava powder, a blend of both green dried lateral and basil root, this product is the highest quality powder we produce"

The term green dried lateral/basil root is referring to the freshness of the dried lateral/basil roots rather than dehydrated green kava juice. It's normally cleaned really well removing components that contribute to bad taste and are devoid of KLs so it's better tasting and stronger than other powders gram per gram.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
No problem....I already forgot what we were talking about.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I don't think the 5 star is blended with instant. From the description on the site :

"Five star kava powder, a blend of both green dried lateral and basil root, this product is the highest quality powder we produce"

The term green dried lateral/basil root is referring to the freshness of the dried lateral/basil roots rather than dehydrated green kava juice. It's normally cleaned really well removing components that contribute to bad taste and are devoid of KLs so it's better tasting and stronger than other powders gram per gram.
Yeah, you're right. I think I will remove my posts on this thread after five days, for whatever archival purposes might have. The experiment was worth doing, in my case, IAE, in the name of science¡¡¡¡¡, but yeah, the premise is faulty.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Yeah, you're right. I think I will remove my posts on this thread after five days, for whatever archival purposes might have. The experiment was worth doing, in my case, IAE, in the name of science¡¡¡¡¡, but yeah, the premise is faulty.
Well, the experiment is interesting either way. I agree, though, that the forney method is very effective.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
At least money spent on nambawan is never wasted.
Speaking of Nambawan, I have 1/2lb and have been really wanting to try it but what do you guys think? I suffer from anxiety. I saw another member say that they would NOT recommend this for anxiety (or Stone or Wow, which I have to use, in my kava cupboard). Does it cause panic? Better for a weekend, day time kava? It sort of turned me off to these very widely talked about as being superior kavas. As we all know, they are exceptional in quality as the price reflects. I want to give them a try. What are your reviews of these particular kavas? Water to kava ratio? I don't want to make it too strong but I do want to feel the full effects of these kavas. Thanks!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Speaking of Nambawan, I have 1/2lb and have been really wanting to try it but what do you guys think? I suffer from anxiety. I saw another member say that they would NOT recommend this for anxiety (or Stone or Wow, which I have to use, in my kava cupboard). Does it cause panic? Better for a weekend, day time kava? It sort of turned me off to these very widely talked about as being superior kavas. As we all know, they are exceptional in quality as the price reflects. I want to give them a try. What are your reviews of these particular kavas? Water to kava ratio? I don't want to make it too strong but I do want to feel the full effects of these kavas. Thanks!
It won't cause panic (unless you drink too much of it, which) it will cause pleasure. But it is not a heavy sedating kava as many who suffer from anxiety are looking for. It may be useful against anxiety because in general that's true of all kavas, but if anyone drinks Nambawan for anxiety I'm recommending low doses, if at all.But really, if there ever was a kava that is not really for medicinal purposes it would be nambawan.

Last edited:

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I've never felt panic from kava but like all kava products, those 3 have changed over time. For me all 3 are great for anxiety. In my experience the difference currently between them is Nambawan: more uplifting, Wow!: more relaxing, Stone: most balanced and best for getting sleep afterwards. I wouldn't consider any of the 3 to be "daytime" kava. FWIW, I also prefer Nangol over Nambawan and Stone over Wow!, taking account this years batches.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Well right now it is giving me extreme anxiety and panic (y)
upload_2018-9-25_11-58-21.png

Then it will get shipped in some strange fashion between Portland and here, following some odd patern only known to USPS - more panic.
Then it will get to my house, and sit in my mailbox while I waste hours on end in meetings - more panic.

Finally once I drink it is when the panic and anxiety ends!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I've never felt panic from kava but like all kava products, those 3 have changed over time. For me all 3 are great for anxiety. In my experience the difference currently between them is Nambawan: more uplifting, Wow!: more relaxing, Stone: most balanced and best for getting sleep afterwards. I wouldn't consider any of the 3 to be "daytime" kava. FWIW, I also prefer Nangol over Nambawan and Stone over Wow!, taking account this years batches.
oh yeah, I'm one of the world's biggest fans of daytime kava and one of the world's biggest fans of Nambawan, but it is not a day time kava. Except on my weekends. :)

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Hmm; are you sure? I mean, isn't all kava composed of dried roots that had once been green? If so, the only difference that would make the five star stand out is if somehow they were dried in such a way that preserved more of the juices present in green roots. That sounds a lot like instant. Aren't all roots "green" when they get pulled out of the ground, still living? I've never once gotten the impression that kava is being harvested after its dead.