What's new

Companies the peel kava.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I think it's definitely a taste/effects thing. You can tell when the root is peeled. I feel like it's old news that GHK peels their kava. I haven't had any BKH medium grind lately but their instant powder is super smooth. I wouldn't be surprised if peeling fresh kava for making instant affects the final product.

jim lahey

Shamanic Herbalist
I think it's definitely a taste/effects thing. You can tell when the root is peeled. I feel like it's old news that GHK peels their kava. I haven't had any BKH medium grind lately but their instant powder is super smooth. I wouldn't be surprised if peeling fresh kava for making instant affects the final product.
So ghk does peel their kava I was told that they don't.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
From what I understand, Chris peels the stumps, but doesn't peel the laterals. I might be mistaken though. @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava should be able to answer this.
I do peel the stump, there is no need to peel the lateral roots because they are not exposed to the sun. The above ground part needs to be peeled, I have always done this for over 30 years now. Aloha.

Chris

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I do peel the stump, there is no need to peel the lateral roots because they are not exposed to the sun. The above ground part needs to be peeled, I have always done this for over 30 years now. Aloha.

Chris
You are right from the point of view of safety etc, but the reason why many people prefer peel more than just the sump is that seemingly this makes the kava smoother/better tasting and easier on the stomach. But it may well be a matter of personal preference. Obviously the thin rootlets are hard to peel, but a pressure washer removes much of the skin and all the dirt anyway.

For the record, Chris' kava is extremely clean and smooth, as everyone who's had it can surely attest.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
After spending a lot of time drinking well peeled lateral roots from Vanuatu I can really see a difference in how my body responds to whatever is in the dried lateral root bark. The taste of Hawaiian kava isn't as negatively affected by having more of the bark remaining on the laterals as Vanuatu cultivars but when it comes to dermo and stomach irritation it still makes a difference. I'd like to see Hawaiian root processed with Kava Society or 5 Star methods but I also understand the labor cost of having it done in HI would be greater compared to doing it in Vanuatu.