What's new

Cutting down/too much

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
So,

I am definitely taking too much Kava, and my wallet isn't happy. The problem is, it's early days so I'm hitting it harder than I should be, and I'm still figuring out the best times to take it. The problem is, I have quite a lot of free time at the moment, so on my days off I usually drink it all day.

Today for example, I started around 10.30am. I started with about 60g, followed by a rewash a few hours later. Then another 50/60g sometime after that, and then another rewash after that. It's only 7pm now, so I'll probably have some more once the effects die down in a bit.

I'm an addict so I'm used to taking things to the extreme, I'm slowly learning that you don't need to do this with Kava. And truthfully, I enjoy it more when I only get to take it at the end of the day after work or whatever.

Any tips/ideas are appreciated.

Cheers!

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
So,

I am definitely taking too much Kava, and my wallet isn't happy. The problem is, it's early days so I'm hitting it harder than I should be, and I'm still figuring out the best times to take it. The problem is, I have quite a lot of free time at the moment, so on my days off I usually drink it all day.

Today for example, I started around 10.30am. I started with about 60g, followed by a rewash a few hours later. Then another 50/60g sometime after that, and then another rewash after that. It's only 7pm now, so I'll probably have some more once the effects die down in a bit.

I'm an addict so I'm used to taking things to the extreme, I'm slowly learning that you don't need to do this with Kava. And truthfully, I enjoy it more when I only get to take it at the end of the day after work or whatever.

Any tips/ideas are appreciated.

Cheers!
The lines you wrote take readers from one extreme to the other and it's like you have outlined the answer to your own situation.
I think back to a Hawai'i of long ago** and you see extreme drinking there also. But amongst the workers, farmers, fisherman it
was just as you write: " truthfully, I enjoy it more when I only get to take it at the end of the day after work or whatever."
As my friend Jerry Konanui used to say- "Keep it simple" (stick to that practice).
** "An abundance of `Awa was a sign of a truly wealthy ali`i, as is seen in the story of Keawe-nui-a-`Umi (Kamakau 1961). 'To him (`Umi-o-ka-lani) the people made their gift offerings, torches burned constantly for him and his chiefs, the old men among his followers drank `awa constantly – it was clear that he was a rich lord'. (Kamakau 1961) Ali`i were, as alluded to in the above writings of Samwell (1779), probably also the only ones with enough power and wealth to drink `Awa more than once a day".

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
@Alia Out of curiosity, what sort of ritual/ schedule do you follow , I would also be curious to know with fresh kava readily available in Hawaii, do you still make powdered? Thanks.

Mixnpickngrinnin

Kava Curious
I generally do not like drinking kava during the day. Earliest I will drink is around 5/6 but more often i drink it at 830 (once the kids are to bed). I do not enjoy it during the day and I really love this about Kava. As one prone to addiction myself, It is sometimes tempting to drink it earlier but for me Kava mostly goes well with sitting and doing nothing, which is not really what i want to do in the morning or midday. My prior drugs of choice were not like that. I know it can be hard, but just see if you can delay that gratification a little bit and stick to one session per day. It can be a big one, a long session, but not all day. Good luck

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
I generally do not like drinking kava during the day. Earliest I will drink is around 5/6 but more often i drink it at 830 (once the kids are to bed). I do not enjoy it during the day and I really love this about Kava. As one prone to addiction myself, It is sometimes tempting to drink it earlier but for me Kava mostly goes well with sitting and doing nothing, which is not really what i want to do in the morning or midday. My prior drugs of choice were not like that. I know it can be hard, but just see if you can delay that gratification a little bit and stick to one session per day. It can be a big one, a long session, but not all day. Good luck
Thats good advice, thank you!

Where I’m still new to it, im still figuring out where it fits into my life, and at the end of the day is where seems to be the sweet spot. I am going to delay usage today and I don’t think it will be hard.

Will let you know how I get on.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
@Alia Out of curiosity, what sort of ritual/ schedule do you follow , I would also be curious to know with fresh kava readily available in Hawaii, do you still make powdered? Thanks.
I am quite strict to drink only after 5pm when the "workday" is over. For me the work day is tending to my 'awa plants and vegetable garden, house chores etc.
A few strong 5 ounce servings. Used to be always fresh, sometimes harvest same day and grind in Corona Corn Grinder. Other times fresh frozen.
Rarely prepare fresh anymore simply due to my age and the fact that processing fresh is a lot of work. Honestly, a few cups of good quality dry kava is fabulous too.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Rarely prepare fresh anymore simply due to my age and the fact that processing fresh is a lot of work.
If I am ever in Hawaii I will be more than glad to volunteer the manhandling portion of that job, lol.

Bula, hope you are enjoying the weekend, tending to kava plants sounds like a wonderful activity to keep you busy!