What's new

Deciding which kava to use

hi everybody, I am new to the kava world, still haven’t tried, but I am very interested in trying. I’m an industrial electrician and work long shifts (12+ hours-6 days a week), very high stress and always on the go. I’m needing help with deciding which kava strain to use. I will be ordering from route of happiness and was really just wanting help sorting out what would be good to use for day time use, and for night time relaxing. I know I will be ordering their instant kava due to convince for my on the go lifestyle. So basically, can anyone help me with deciding what kavas I should use for day time and what would be good for at home night time use. I don’t full understand the differences in effects with the didderent variations of kava. Thanks.

Pecorino

Kava Curious
The blue instant kava they have is "heavy" variety, suitable for night time use. You can read more about heavy and heady here: http://kavaforums.com/forum/brdc-document/frequently-asked-questions.1/
I'm not sure about Hawaiian instant, and they didn't give the chemotype. Among concentrates, "Liquid Kava Extract" seems to be heady (chemotype 425 according to the certificate of analysis, however the 2 and 5 are usually associated with heaviness so it may be balanced or even heavy), "Polynesian Gold" seems to be heavy or balanced.
Speaking of chemotypes, generally 2 on the beginning suggests heavy (night time) and 4, especially 46 suggests heady (day time). 2 and 5 are usually associated with heaviness and 4 and 6 with headiness. RoH shows the chemotype on many of their products, so it may be useful knowledge. You can read more about chemotypes here: http://www.kavalibrary.com/Chemotypes.html
If you're just starting out, I'd suggest getting the AluBall and some powdered root in addition to the instant. Getting through reversed tolerance may be quite expensive on instants.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
hi everybody, I am new to the kava world, still haven’t tried, but I am very interested in trying. I’m an industrial electrician and work long shifts (12+ hours-6 days a week), very high stress and always on the go. I’m needing help with deciding which kava strain to use. I will be ordering from route of happiness and was really just wanting help sorting out what would be good to use for day time use, and for night time relaxing. I know I will be ordering their instant kava due to convince for my on the go lifestyle. So basically, can anyone help me with deciding what kavas I should use for day time and what would be good for at home night time use. I don’t full understand the differences in effects with the didderent variations of kava. Thanks.
@Pecorino makes a lot of sense but to add my thoughts I would recommend maybe one of the extracts for daytime use. They are convenient and fast acting. You would need to be careful not to overdo it as a little goes a long way, or it did with me at least. For nighttime use the Vanuatu instant is my favourite instant ever. It's heavy and sedating. If you did want to get involved in medium grind and prep then the Premium Vanuatu is what the instant is made from but it gives a slightly different feel. Something like the Premium Fijian would give you daytime relaxation without knocking you out.