What's new

Delved into the world of Kava tonight.

DaddioSidno

My story is extremely similar to Bob Chill's so I'll refrain from posting about what brought me here unless I get hounded about my origin story :). Like I mentioned in his other post in a sub-forum, I ordered some Fijian from Wakacon via Amazon Prime. I have some Stone from N@H coming hopefully this week so I'll get to try what is apparently one of the worst tasting Kava's out there, but I'm excited to do so!

I used about 3 heaping table spoons to 4 cups of room temp water (kinda like how Kavasseur did it in his review) and I kneaded for about 15 minutes. Did a second wash in a separate bowl which I combined with the first bowl. I've been taking about a half-cup swig every 20 minutes or so. Obviously it tastes pretty earthy but still quite easy to put back. It feels quite nice. I have a pretty gnarly body high and my head feels kinda floaty.

I don't know if it's the 3 cups (wife has had a half-cup, and I'm leaving the last bit for her) I've had, or the recent half cup I tried with some fatty coffee creamer in it, but I definitely feel better after this last cup than the cup before that.

It felt like the sensation of the Kava was tapering off towards the end of the 20 min mark until this last half-cup which I'm now 30 minutes into and still very much relishing the feeling. The closest thing I can compare it to is a clean alcohol buzz.

Now my questions to the experts:

• Did I do too much too quickly? A total of 3 cups just at a 2 hour time period on an empty stomach.
  • How much do you guys make and consume per night? Do you all normally make more than one batch per night?
  • The coffee creamer I used is a liquid french vanilla Coffee Mate. Is that the reason my last cup felt more intense, or was it just because of the amount of Kava I had within 2 hours?

Final notes:

The end of the day was particularly maddening. I don't have these sort of days very often. I'm a pretty level-headed and patient guy but every now and then these kinda days just slap you upside the head. The kind where thing after thing after thing just builds up and you're so piping hot your ears are catching fire. That's how I was feeling on my way home, and it's the complete opposite of how I felt 15 minutes into my first tasting of Kava.

After my experience tonight, I know Kava will be the alternative I was looking for and am blessed to have come across it.

Edit: I've had this post open for quite a bit as other things took my attention. It's been nearly an hour and a half since my last cup and I still feel nice.

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
Agreed. Dosage sounds average. I'm currently drinking a similar mix @ 4tbs in 3 cups water and honestly for me that's a mid strength session. Weekends I'll go 8 tbs. It's pretty interesting how diverse everyone's tolerance is.
As for your last cup being stronger, the only question I would have is did you stir your mix thoroughly before each cup? The good grit settles rather quickly.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Welcome to the kava world! Your dosage does indeed sound pretty average. It wouldnt hurt to experiment with lower and higher dosages. I have years of experience and i am still doing that. A low dosage may offer anxiety/stress relief without significant psychoactive effects. A higher dose might allow for an even stronger experience. I do recommend going slow with the stone though.