Change background image

Difference btw THC effects and kava?

Discussion in 'In-Depth Kava Discussion' started by Kavaguy, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Kavaguy

Kavaguy Kava Enthusiast

I understand there are some strains of cannabis which mainly cause the user to feel relaxation. To those who might have tried edibles with this effect, how would you describe it compared to kava?
  2. Krunkie McKrunkface

Krunkie McKrunkface Kava Enthusiast

virtually no similarity, except relaxation in small non-intoxicating doses. At very small doses they are similar, but at the level of poisoning or intoxication they are very different.

Also, in both cases, much depends on the person, and how habituated they are to the active ingredients in the plants. I cannot stress this enough. Peoples receptors adapt over time with repeated exposure, especially with repeated frequent exposure. And I mean receptors everywhere in the body, including taste, stomach, brain, ....
  3. Kavaguy

Kavaguy Kava Enthusiast

Good to know, thanks a lot.
  4. Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Zac Imiola (Herbalist) Kava Enthusiast

Kava is what it's like to remove all the extra stuff from cannabis which usually turns people off and keep all the good stuff . But it more resembles a "sativa" strain in effect than "indica" in other words it resembles upbeat cannabis .. even the heaviest kavas are not as sedating as cannabis
  5. Mo'iety

Mo'iety Member

Kava is much more pleasant for me than cannabis. I drink heady kavas primarily and yes one could say it resembles an upbeat sativa, but without any of the anxiety and mind-raciness - quite the opposite actually. It's "calm mental energy" if that makes any sense, and a nice mood boost, as opposed to a somewhat more manic energy of sativa. When the headiness wears off, kava leaves me in a state of deep mental relaxation that lasts an hour or two longer, but is not really sedating. Unless I overdo it in a session, then the secondary effects can get sedating.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
  6. Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Zac Imiola (Herbalist) Kava Enthusiast

Yes cannabis can be super manic
  7. WimblySlop

WimblySlop Member

Both are dose dependent obviously. I would say the broad relaxation and mild euphoria are shared. I find that I get a lot more tired/worn out from Kava, whereas I don't get that feeling from THC. Even a really heavy indica doesn't have the same effect as kava for me in terms of making me feel wiped out. That's also very person to person as I understand it. I tend to get a "hangover" from kava, i.e., I'll be pretty unmotivated and lethargic the next day. I don't think that's the predominant effect (though I'm certainly not the only one).

So, I guess there is mild similarity between the two in terms of relaxation/euphoria, but I think beyond that it's so dose/strain/person dependent that it's hard to say anything that will have broad application.
  8. kavakarma

kavakarma Member

I occasionally cook Cannabis and eat it. Usually leaves. Have used hash/flower, ect. Sometimes mix in dinners [steakpotatoes] or just eat raw in oil. The intention is communion with the cannabis plant. It offers healing and union with the Earth. Kava does too offer its gifts. These are different plants, comparing or contrasting them is not useful.

In my experience, Cannabis cooked by myself are distinct to have spiritual healing and body rest in the first four hours and clear minded, excited energy in the latter. It can completely change your perception of what you know to be reality for twelve hours. Cooked by others, offer incredible medicine value, but seem to be less than I create by cooking over flame in oil for as long as possible.