What's new

Kava Preparation DIY coconut-kava "paste"

Zaphod

Kava Lover
@Mrbinx69 and @verticity I had some free time this week, while at home watching a sick kid, to finally go back and try both of your methods for extracts. First I started with verticity's method of just oil, and a little bit of heat and was moderately successful. The extract was similar to other extracts but, not really that strong - very mild. It was a bit of a mess trying to filter the kava after being in the coconut oil. The second try was using the suggestion of Mrbinx69:
(1) I mixed ~1/4 cup of kava with 5-6oz of everclear - let sit for 1 hour with occasional stirring
(2) Strained the kava through mesh strainer bag (kavafied bag)
(3) Heated up ~1/4 cup of coconut oil and mixed in with alcohol/kava extract
(4) Placed in water bath and slowly boiled off all the alcohol - this took a long time (~1 hour).
(5) There was still a little bit of plant matter in the bottom of the jar at this point so I carefully poured out 90% of the oil trying to keep the remaining sediment in the bottom - if I good sized baster it would have been easier.
(6) Poured the remaineder in a small tupperware and tossed in the freezer.
Mrbinx69's method made a coconut oil extract that at least to my tastebuds/experience is every bit as strong as some of the 70% CO2 extracts on the market. I have no reasonable way to test the KL% but it is pretty high. I can't say I am a huge fan of extracts but there are times where it is convenient and fits the bill. As long as you are comfortable with an ethanol extract then this is a method to get there cheaper than buying one if you have the time. Since I have a large bag of a so-so kava that is pretty weak on its own and not very tasty I plan to continue making these for occasional usage in a pinch. If one is not comfortable with the ethanol extract then the oil only method was acceptable but probably closer to 1/2 as strong...

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Is this method less likely to cause nausea? If so, it would be totally worth the trouble to me.
I know I answered you directly but thought I would throw this out there for the whole forum:
Possibly. I don't tend to get too nauseous when drinking traditionally prepped medium grind. I used to get more nausea with microgrind. You are certainly taking in a lot less water, and root material with an extract so it could. The kava paste strength wise was on par with other extracts that you can buy, but I didn't make a lot of it so I never "overindulged" to the point of nausea. In addition, because it is coconut oil I wouldn't be able to eat that much of it. As tasty as it is it is pretty heavy eating that much pure coconut oil. Sorry I can't be much help....it was fun, and definitely worth trying. I did it with some kava that I didn't really like so I didn't care about wasting it if it didn't come out well.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Aren't alcohol extracts likely to contain more FKB?
Probably, and may not include as much glutathione as a water extraction. That is why I say "if your comfortable with ethanol extracts" it is not a bad approach. Time consuming but cheaper than buying commercially available extracts. I did it mostly on whim with a kava I was not going to continue drinking. Definitely not for daily consumption.
Oh, I should point out this thread was extracted from a much longer previous thread where others were discussing extraction methods.