What's new

DIY micronized/modified toss & wash?

BulaJones

My tongue is numb!
TL/DR: Pulverized my kava powder with mortar and pestle. Has anyone tried this? Would this be similar to micronized or am I just doing a toss and wash?

So normally I do a traditional prep with 2 heaping tablespoons of wakacon powder to two cups hot water, kneaded in a stocking for 10 minutes. Usually two batches gets me where I want to be.

In an effort to cut my costs I decided to try something different.

Process: Working in one level tablespoon batches, I worked the kava for about five minutes. The result was a powder that caked up like fine flour. Tossed it in my stocking and tried to knead it in two cups hot water. I only had to knead for about a minute before I was left with less than a tablespoon of course fiber that I usually see when I am done with the traditional kneading process, so I stopped. Added ice and consumed.

Result: Less bitter and very smooth. It seemed to take a little bit longer to kick in, but I drank it much faster than normal.

Any thoughts? I really want to avoid the negative side effects of toss & wash.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Grinding down traditional (medium grind) powder is equivalent to micronized toss & wash (this applies to every micronized available except those that have the macas removed prior to micronization.)

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Well, you aren't filtering out only fiber, rather by making it finer you are letting more root powder out into the water. So I don't really see the point of doing this vs. toss and washing a smaller amount. Most micronized vendors are removing the coarse fibers from the root before grinding it down at all.

You might try boroguru from GHK, BKH, etc. Wakacon is okay, but it's kinda weak, you might find that spending an extra $5-10 on a strong Vanuatu saves you money in the long run.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I was under the impression that Kava Kava R Us did as well, so I guess I meant most micronized vendors on the forums

BulaJones

My tongue is numb!
You might try boroguru from GHK, BKH, etc. Wakacon is okay, but it's kinda weak, you might find that spending an extra $5-10 on a strong Vanuatu saves you money in the long run.
Thanks @kavadude. Your advice was just the nudge i needed to order 2lbs of boroguru from BKH. ;)