What's new

Dizziness

Asuna

Kava Curious
Had kava for the first time tonight. Ended up consuming 9 tablespoons and 1.5 cups of water for each tablespoon over the span of 2 1/2 hours. My head felt kind of weird at first, but then I ended up just feeling dizzy during the whole experience. Am I doing something wrong?

As a side note. I’d space each serving about 30 minutes apart.

Asuna

Kava Curious
Well, the only reason I went up to 9 is because I wanted to feel more than just a slight tingly head thing. I used Tikaram’s Vanuatu Kava. I had a friend that suggested it, but now I’m looking at getting something different

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
It's the dosage and if you are using a heady kava. Increase and decrease to desired effect. The dizziness has been very severe for me with high doses of Heady kava's
and is entirely dosage dependent.

Asuna

Kava Curious
Hm... I guess I way overdid it. I’m still sick to my stomach 24 hours later. Is this normal at all?

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Used the Kavafied strainer bag. Started out with the 3 tablespoons of kava and 1.5 cups of water. Kneaded it for 10 minutes
I agree with everyone else that you likely overdid it. Also the extended period of nausea may be due to not re-hydrating properly. Work on that and feed yourself some lovely, balanced meals. :)

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Used the Kavafied strainer bag. Started out with the 3 tablespoons of kava and 1.5 cups of water. Kneaded it for 10 minutes
Use WAY more water. 1.5 cups is a small quantity in relation to 3 tablespoons of kava. If you're doing traditional prep, most people make at least 1L of grog, and they'll be using about 3-4 tbsp of powder with that quantity of water. Aluball shaker capacity varies depending on which one you use. Not sure how you're making it, but you're definitely using too little water to powder.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Well, the only reason I went up to 9 is because I wanted to feel more than just a slight tingly head thing. I used Tikaram’s Vanuatu Kava. I had a friend that suggested it, but now I’m looking at getting something different
Tikaram's Vanuatu, IMO, is a very strong kava. 9 TBS would probably kill me. 4 TBS would be too much, but 9 TBS would be more than double whatever "too much" is. Ouch.

Asuna

Kava Curious
Use WAY more water. 1.5 cups is a small quantity in relation to 3 tablespoons of kava. If you're doing traditional prep, most people make at least 1L of grog, and they'll be using about 3-4 tbsp of powder with that quantity of water. Aluball shaker capacity varies depending on which one you use. Not sure how you're making it, but you're definitely using too little water to powder.
Perfect. Will try it this way tonight. Thanks!

Asuna

Kava Curious
Tikaram's Vanuatu, IMO, is a very strong kava. 9 TBS would probably kill me. 4 TBS would be too much, but 9 TBS would be more than double whatever "too much" is. Ouch.
I did some digging and found your review on this! I wish I had read it before trying the kava. I have some instant on the way, so I’m going to have to try it again tonight... this time at 3 TBS.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I did some digging and found your review on this! I wish I had read it before trying the kava. I have some instant on the way, so I’m going to have to try it again tonight... this time at 3 TBS.
I’ll look forward to your report back. 3 TBS of tikaram’s vanuatu is perfect for me, though I am a notorious lightweight. Good root, tho, for budget root.

AlohaAimee

Kava Enthusiast
I've been having kava for just a couple of months and still haven't exceeded 5-6 tablespoon sessions. Take it slow and steady. :angelic

Asuna

Kava Curious
Did 3 TBS last night. Nothing happened. I suppose I’m one of the unfortunate with RT. On a positive note, I didn’t feel like death the next day!
I wonder if it’d be okay to break my kava cycle for 2 days? My micronized shows up in 2 days, and I don’t know how much longer I can handle drinking it prepared the traditional way.

skip L

Kava Curious
Don't waste your kava trying to get through the RT in one night :) It will take a little bit of time but just keep a small steady dosage, and as soon as youre RT goes away you will definitely notice :)

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Did 3 TBS last night. Nothing happened. I suppose I’m one of the unfortunate with RT. On a positive note, I didn’t feel like death the next day!
I wonder if it’d be okay to break my kava cycle for 2 days? My micronized shows up in 2 days, and I don’t know how much longer I can handle drinking it prepared the traditional way.
Don't waste your kava trying to get through the RT in one night :) It will take a little bit of time but just keep a small steady dosage, and as soon as youre RT goes away you will definitely notice :)
@skip L speaks the truth. Don't change your measurements (much) on your kava powder and liquid. Use this same measurement for other powders you're trying. You'll feel something at some point! Give it time.