What's new

Do you feel a better intake, when combining with black pepper?

Pauli

Kava Curious
I have read black pepper makes some medicine better taken in by the body, that said to be the case with K@,
so I tried it with kava, and think ist works. What are your experiences?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I have read black pepper makes some medicine better taken in by the body, that said to be the case with K@,
so I tried it with kava, and think ist works. What are your experiences?
This makes sense as black pepper can act as a strong CYP3A4 inhibitor. As to it's effect with kava, however, I'm not sure the inhibitory effects carry over to it as kava is metabolized by CYP2D6, so it may be something to do with the "spicy" effect. We've found foods that have spice heat to increase the effects of kava. Not really sure why this happens, but it seems pretty common that it does.

Below is a research paper on the CYP inhibitory properties of black pepper:

Bhardwaj RK, Glaeser H, Becquemont L, Klotz U, Gupta SK, Fromm MF. Piperine, a major constituent of black pepper, inhibits human P-glycoprotein and CYP3A4. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2002 Aug;302(2):645-50. doi: 10.1124/jpet.102.034728. PMID: 12130727. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12130727/

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not sure if pepper works in raw form.
Because what's known to work in the supplements you refer to, is technically Piperine, an extract of the plant, Piper Nigrum, usually.
Using raw black pepper may work. I'm just not sure how the potency compares to the Piperine extract

KavaBobo

Kava Curious
I think piperine assisits in absorbtion of supplements that are fat soluble so, might also help with Kava. Don’t know how much you would use per dose. I usually add a tbsp of organic flax seed oil, olive oil or organic lecithin granules to my Vitamix blender to assist absorbtion . Heavy dairy or coconut cream works also.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Ha, thought I heard someone say we weren't allowed to say THAT "k" word on the forum here.
Well, we're super strict about it on the other platforms (reddit/facebook), but here we do allow the mention when making a comparison or just a reference.

Direct discussion is still off the table, as it would be outside of our main focus, kava :)