What's new

Does anyone else go through reverse tolerance when changing type of Kava?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElDudarino

Kava Curious
So I've been drinking Mahakea....quite a lot for a few years now. I recently switched to Ikaika, which is supposed to be stronger. First time I took it, on a fully empty stomach, I felt very little effect. I'm pretty experienced with Kava by now and it was a full dose that would usually get me fully crunked.

I kept taking just Ikaika for a couple days, and just now, took it the 4th time and I'm fully crunked.

So this is a weird phenomenon to me, especially since I didn't experience reverse tolerance the first time I ever took Kava. Anyone else?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So I've been drinking Mahakea....quite a lot for a few years now. I recently switched to Ikaika, which is supposed to be stronger. First time I took it, on a fully empty stomach, I felt very little effect. I'm pretty experienced with Kava by now and it was a full dose that would usually get me fully crunked.

I kept taking just Ikaika for a couple days, and just now, took it the 4th time and I'm fully crunked.

So this is a weird phenomenon to me, especially since I didn't experience reverse tolerance the first time I ever took Kava. Anyone else?
Yes! I get this nearly every time I swap kavas that I've been drinking for long periods. No matter how strong the next kava is, it never feels as strong as it does the 4th day.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I get changes in taste, even within the same prep. e.g. the first shell of nangol noble I tasted was like a bitter Vanuatu root I didn't care for. By the 4th shell it tasted like a smooth, rich, deep, complex sweet expensive Vanuatu root, almost as good as nambawan, which is sheer heaven on my taste buds. Had similar taste effects from Pouni Ono and Leka Hina, as my ? what? tongue adjusted? something, I dunno, but I do believe we adjust to new kavas.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
fwiw I avoid this effect, which is a very real and common one, by never drinking the same kava twice in a row. In general when I drink a particular kava it is usually at least 2 or 3 days before I drink any of it again, there's always something different in the rotation. To the best of my knowledge few people do this. Most just get one type, or two or three, drink their supply and order more. I like having a large variety on hand so that I can match the grog to the mood, time of day, needs, etc either with a specific variety or preparing a blend. I have gotten pretty good at this, being a rootista or it just could be I really know my guinea p, er, patient.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
fwiw I avoid this effect, which is a very real and common one, by never drinking the same kava twice in a row. In general when I drink a particular kava it is usually at least 2 or 3 days before I drink any of it again, there's always something different in the rotation. To the best of my knowledge few people do this. Most just get one type, or two or three, drink their supply and order more. I like having a large variety on hand so that I can match the grog to the mood, time of day, needs, etc either with a specific variety or preparing a blend. I have gotten pretty good at this, being a rootista or it just could be I really know my guinea p, er, patient.
“Rootista” hahaha.
Very interesting perspective! I wish I had the ability to do such things. I’m lucky to be able to keep two varieties at a time. Usually only have one on hand. Very cool to know what the variety is useful for though.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
“Rootista” hahaha.
Very interesting perspective! I wish I had the ability to do such things. I’m lucky to be able to keep two varieties at a time. Usually only have one on hand. Very cool to know what the variety is useful for though.
I also find it's like books or records. Sometimes I don't really grok a grog at first, might take a while before I "get it"

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast

I experience short term reverse tolerance, 2-3 uses in before it falls off again. If I change a type of kava I also don't get much, something to do with getting used to it I assume. I also have Ikaika coming in today (which I'm real excited to try soon) but I've been mixing my leftovers of Borogu and Moi which is currently my favorite combo. Repeated plenty of times so I know it's not in my head, kava when it really hits me hard is not subtle. I'll have to pay closer attention to how I react to Ikaika over a couple days of just that.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I know it's not in my head, kava when it really hits me hard is not subtle. I'll have to pay closer attention to how I react to Ikaika over a couple days of just that.
I think that subtly hitting you hard is the mark of a few rare and exceptionally wonderful kavas. Often Tongans.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
I think that subtly hitting you hard is the mark of a few rare and exceptionally wonderful kavas. Often Tongans.
I haven't had Tongan before (or maybe I tried one before but can't remember off the top of my head), I've mostly hovered between Vanautu and Hawaii. I remember this one I tried that fits that bill though from Bula Kava House called Akau, there was literally almost no body to it but it was extremely soft and uplifting mentally. Really showed me how diverse kava can really be.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I haven't had Tongan before (or maybe I tried one before but can't remember off the top of my head), I've mostly hovered between Vanautu and Hawaii. I remember this one I tried that fits that bill though from Bula Kava House called Akau, there was literally almost no body to it but it was extremely soft and uplifting mentally. Really showed me how diverse kava can really be.
yup, Akau is a very lovely but subtle Tongan. Also love the BKH Eua.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
yup, Akau is a very lovely but subtle Tongan. Also love the BKH Eua.
People compared it to that in reviews, the only other I tried from BKH was their Nongol Noble.

Just got the Ikaika in, yup this is gonna be potent alright. I can smell it and the grind is nice again. When something smells chocolate-y and peanut buttery to me (that's what a lot of stronger kava smells like to me honestly) I know I'm in for a good time. Nongol Noble that had the same scent profile was way too bitter and heavy for me though. I'm hoping the taste isn't as bad with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.