What's new

Does kava upregulate gaba receptors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I'm worried splitting into two doses won't help. I've always taken one big dose at night. If I cut it in half and take am/pm I'm worried I will be in wds during the entire time. Not positive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Head over to the addiction and recovery section for my thread on tapering if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotwired

Kava Curious
I know exactly what you mean, but I'm just watching out for ya. Never before have I reacted to a substance quite like I have with Phenibut. It's a godsend, too good to be true for those of us with anxiety. But even with going 3 - 4 day wash outs between use I would begin to feel the onset of rebound depression/anxiety/panic multiplied ten fold of the reasons I began using it in the first place. I've been on Benzos my whole life practically and phenibut is just, bleh, it's something else. Maybe it has something to do with its gaba-b activity vs gaba-a, I don't know. All I know is that I wish I had never found the stuff.

Anyway, Cheers. Like I said just watching out for you.
I keep Phenibut to once per week. It is funny, when I take Kava later in the afternoon (I take phenibut around dawn), it's like someone mainlined me with Phenibut. It's really wild.

starscolliding

Kava Curious
Guys, lots of good comments here, I'll just add one thing. In western medicine, as far as I know, anything that messes with Gaba-a becomes a drug-dependency. From what I understand there are three or four studies that show that Kava does not mess with Gaba-A, and two that show that it does. So they aren't 100% sure, but it is possible that Kava has a different route to the anxiolytic effects. That, or it does do it but it also simulatneously does something else that we don't yet understand. The other herb that has this effect but does not cause addiction is Valerian. I believe in both cases it is not well understood in the west how it can have these effects yet not cause any addiction. If I understand correctly, a large part of alcohol addiction is the Gaba-a interference and I know for benzo's that is the main part of it.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Can you explain everything that you just said in more detail for a noob like me??

I wanna understand everything regarding Gaba-A and Gaba-B a bit better, and where addiction falls into all of that...

Thanks

ThePiper

Kava Lover
If I recall correctly magniolia bark is supposed to upregulate GABA A. I think it's done indirectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.