What's new

"Dosing" question

Dmcgee1980

Kava Curious
So i have some KWK borongoru I have been using. I have been making 2 tbsp via aluball and triple washing it. It seems to have a VERY mild chill out effect for me. I would love to feel a much more profound relaxation effect. How much should I be taking?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Try doing traditional prep using 8-12 Tbsp w/ 2-3 cups of water. Drink a shell every 15-20 minutes and see where you get, then go from there to fine tune amounts/shell spacing or whether you should try a different product.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
2 tbsp of medium grind is a very relative amount. It all depends on how much water you're using. From you saying that you do 3 washes with that 2 tbsp of root suggests a very weak brew, and just making 1 wash with 2 tbsp can be very weak if you're using a significant quantity of water.

You'll want to at least double your root quantity. The idea of doing multiple washes with the same root is you use a high amount and each subsequent wash will water it down more to a strength you're more comfortable drinking. Me personally, if I was going to use 8 tbsp with about 500ml of water, I'd be reusing that root for 4 washes. But everyone has a different tolerance. @SelfBiasResistor may need a lot of root to feel the effects properly. It's all on you to gauge how much you need and it looks like so far, 2 tbsp for 3 washes is too weak.

Dmcgee1980

Kava Curious
I've been using 2 tbsp with about 400ml in the first wash, drinking that while I make the second with 300 and drinking that while I make the third with 300. After about an hour and a half the last night I went back downstairs and did it again with a new 2tbsp. It was definitely more pronounced but not quite to the level where it can replace my old alcohol habit. lol. I'll probably grab like 2 more aluballs and try doing 3 balls at 2tbsp each with 3 washes at 500ml and see how that goes, I guess.

It sounds to me like this will be a very expensive habit to replace alcohol with. lol.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
@Dmcgee1980 You're on the right track with using less water for the subsequent washes. A 2nd Aluball helps get you good potency and a 3rd will allow you to make stronger beverages, but with a 3rd ball, you'll want to get a larger beverage shaker to allow for more room for all three balls to fumble around. With less room, the balls can't move as quickly before they either hit another ball or the top/bottom of your shaker.

Consider buying a strainer bag and making kava the traditional prep way. You get decent potency with shaking Aluballs, but strength is more easily achieved by doing it the way the Pacific islanders have been doing for centuries. It's time consuming, I'll admit that, but the strength you get from this method over shaking with Aluballs could make all the difference. A good strainer bag should set you back about the price of an Aluball and you can fit much more root powder in one of those, allowing you to make more kava at once. Kava vendors sell strainer bags, with Kavafied having really nice ones that are a bit spendy, but I hear some nutmilk bags may also do the trick. You want something with around 100 microns or smaller in hole size and something that can take punishment as you're supposed to handle your kava fairly rough when kneading. Use a rubber band or some twine to properly seal your strainer bag so the kava grinds don't fall out.

You may also be going through reverse tolerance, so upping the quantity of powder you use should be incremental until you get more pronounced effects. Sadly, kava has gotten more expensive over the years and some folks around here claim the kava being harvested is weaker in kavalactone content than in previous years, possibly premature harvests to meet damand, plus bad weather that can damage crops. We can only speculate without any insiders over in the South Pacific giving input, so take my guesses with salt since I'm just a consumer myself. One way to stretch your kava out is to save your medium grind solids in the freezer. When you accumulate a bunch, you can use traditional prep to knead that and you can either get a good grog in its own right or at least a liquid you can use along with virgin grind. Just make sure you let it completely thaw or else you'll be kneading it longer than normal.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I've been using 2 tbsp with about 400ml in the first wash, drinking that while I make the second with 300 and drinking that while I make the third with 300. After about an hour and a half the last night I went back downstairs and did it again with a new 2tbsp. It was definitely more pronounced but not quite to the level where it can replace my old alcohol habit. lol. I'll probably grab like 2 more aluballs and try doing 3 balls at 2tbsp each with 3 washes at 500ml and see how that goes, I guess.

It sounds to me like this will be a very expensive habit to replace alcohol with. lol.
I replaced my $5.50/day beer habit with a $4.00/day kava lifestyle. Well worth it. And I drink a lot of kava every day. Then again I usually drank 6 Blue Light every night. Kava’s marginally cheaper but much better in many ways