What's new

Drinking kava throughout the day?

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Is this bad? I've heard its supposedly not physically addictive so unlike alcohol i will not have to continue drinking it just to function without life threatening withdrawal symptoms but how bad is it to drink it all day throughout the day? I have terrible anxiety and it has been a miracle for me.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
You can drink it throughout the day. You'll eventually just find yourself not drinking it as often. For me it's truly self-regulating.

Also you are correct. No withdrawals, no addiction.

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
Yeah I too drink it throughout the day...some days more than others. Just depends on that particular days stress levels really. Usually if I've had a rather heavy kava day, I find that by evening I'm pretty much NOT wanting any.

infraredz

BULA!
I agree with Kapm. There have been times I've drank it twice a day but over time I just find that I enjoy it more once a night. Like you said, regarding anxiety, it has no sense of time so that's really the only time I would drink it more than one time.

However, like Kapm and Kavagurl said, because Kava isn't addictive you won't have a desire to do it over and over. In fact, I've felt like my body just tells me what is enough (dose and frequency) and I rarely vary from that. I think that's what Kapm meant by it being self regulating.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Just typed out a long explanation, but infraredz hit it on the head. That's exactly what I meant.

infraredz

BULA!
Also, just because I think it's worth noting, drinking kava throughout the day usually doesn't make me feel very good (only speaking from fairly limited experience on this). Because your appetite is suppressed with kava, it's hard to eat normally and that leads to issues. Also, the diuretic effect is something you have to worry about even more than normal. Plus, I just got too foggy headed for it to be anything beneficial. I find that the anti-anxiety effects can last for a day, sometimes two without losing mental clarity whereas higher consumption just leads to more fogginess (for me).

I love Vekta's description of it being a "shield", it is for me too and that effect can last longer than the 'initial' kava experience.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Unfortunately i have yet to experience after effects from it. I drank quite a lot of kava last night and then experienced anxiety this morning.

infraredz

BULA!
Hmm, what sort of kava and how much are you drinking?

I've found that the "heavier" strains are the best for longer lasting anxiety relief.

infraredz

BULA!
I'm not familiar with that (other than it's sold on Amazon). I could almost guarantee you will have a better experience with Boroguru and Stone.

Especially Stone, that's kind of the gold-standard for heaviness.

Dan

Kava Enthusiast
Y'all are made of sterner stuff than me. Serious kava day drinking is, alas, about as appealing as alcohol day drinking. Every time I drink kava before, say, 5:30 or 6pm, I'm just completely zonked (not in a good way) for the remainder of the day.