What's new

Driving under the influence of kava

OldUser01

While we know that medicinal doses of kava probably do not impair driving (http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15389588.2012.682233#.U5jmAPmSx8E=, it seems that larger quantities MIGHT. There have been a few cases of people being either detained or actually sentenced for driving under the influence of kava in NZ: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=160349 . Sometimes, the judge concluded that it there isn't sufficient scientific evidence to determine whether kava can actually impair one's ability to drive: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=160349 What do you think? Do you drive after drinking kava?

Last edited by a moderator:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Nah. If I'm doing it right, it will impair my ability to drive. Kava doesn't cause dyskinesia but it certainly, to me, would cause a lack of focus and delayed reaction time.

infraredz

BULA!
I personally don't consume enough kava to impair my cognitive functioning (except once, by accident) so if I have a few "shells" worth of a non-heavy, sedating kava, I do drive, and don't notice any impairment.
Of course, I am mindful of the fact that I had some kava and usually end up driving more cautiously and definitely am more relaxed when it comes to aggressive drivers and such and it's incredibly rare when I even have to drive after kava.

Any time that I feel any sort of possible impairment from say, drinking a "night-cap's worth" of Boroguru, I stay on the safe side and don't drive. This also goes for other, non-sedating kava too.

Jack

Kava Curious
We'll I do not drive but I have notice that when I drink kava and walk things don't shock me or I just gaze over it for example a leaf fluttered past my face (thought a mother bird swooped me) my body reacted but my mind had no shock or anything so I could see how it might make you less attentive but then at the same time if your easily stressed the kava will calm your nerves so you can focus on the road I reckon if you don't feel like you have a need to sit down and chill with kava then your fine, I go for walks on kava and I'm much more aware of my surroundings etc when crossing the road as my sight and sound is heightened but inside a vehicle this may prove a hindrance cause when I drink kava and go for a drive with someone I end up zoning out watching the street lights zoom by and the culture in town happening. In 2 days my kava skin break is up so I'll be bike riding krunked rather the. Walking but yeah I would feel fine to drive but I wouldn't do it on a whim it would have to be a preconcepted thought before I drank said kava

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well, I wait 2 hours to drive on the road. But ill take a glass of kava, with me on the tractor. I love to kava out and ride the ATVs. I imagine I would be fine to drive, even on a lot of kava. I just don't, Its one thing to risk my life. Its something different to risk others. I do get a bit of a drunk feeling from Kava. But not nearly as impairing. So I guess my answer is yes I would drive a car, 2 hours after consuming kava. That's generally when the drunkish feeling goes away, for me. I feel I'm safe after that, but no, I would not drink kava, and start driving a car. But ill drive anything else, on Kava. I drove my 4 wheeler today on kava. Its fun to feel the wind in your hair. Also I had bails of hay to drop off in the pasture. The cows are not going to be cool with me waiting till I am not on kava. They want there hay at 6am prompt.Being that Kava is the first thing I do when I get out of bed, there are lots of things I do on it.lol. I like my kava and java. Much, love. Roaddog....

Jack

Kava Curious
Well, I wait 2 hours to drive on the road. But ill take a glass of kava, with me on the tractor. I love to kava out and ride the ATVs. I imagine I would be fine to drive, even on a lot of kava. I just don't, Its one thing to risk my life. Its something different to risk others. I do get a bit of a drunk feeling from Kava. But not nearly as impairing. So I guess my answer is yes I would drive a car, 2 hours after consuming kava. That's generally when the drunkish feeling goes away, for me. I feel I'm safe after that, but no, I would not drink kava, and start driving a car. But ill drive anything else, on Kava. I drove my 4 wheeler today on kava. Its fun to feel the wind in your hair. Also I had bails of hay to drop off in the pasture. The cows are not going to be cool with me waiting till I am not on kava. They want there hay at 6am prompt.Being that Kava is the first thing I do when I get out of bed, there are lots of things I do on it.lol. I like my kava and java. Much, love. Roaddog....
I like how you explained it, how many tbsp do you consume in your morning ritual? Feeding cows is fun my family has a cattle farm for beef what are yours ?

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I use rounded tea spoons, I guess a tea spoon is about twice what a table spoon is, give or take a pinch. So 4 or maybe 5 teaspoons, or 2 to 2 1/2 table spoons, rounded of course. That and then I drink a cup of coffee, kind of sets the pace for the day.:shameshame: Much love. Roaddoggy....

Jack

Kava Curious
I use rounded tea spoons, I guess a tea spoon is about twice what a table spoon is, give or take a pinch. So 4 or maybe 5 teaspoons, or 2 to 2 1/2 table spoons, rounded of course. That and then I drink a cup of coffee, kind of sets the pace for the day.:shameshame: Much love. Roaddoggy....
Hehe thanks mate for the info so you find kava and caffeine a good mix ? I personally found drinking kava after green tea just led me to being a normal relaxed feeling no special anti anxiety effects or sleepiness etc

Roaddog

Kava Who?
^^^I actually drink a very weak coffee, more like a coffee tea with no sugar or cream. I really just drink it to get the liquids flowing so to speak. Much Love Roaddog....

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
If I'm driving, I never touch any alcohol, because I know how easy it is for one to lead to another, and before long you reach the stage where you don't *realise* that you are unfit to drive.
This does not happen with kava. One does not lead to another. It does not screw with your mental clarity, so you should know when you are not fit to drive.
Yes, I have driven after drinking kava, but never after more than 3 shells.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Smaller doses or heady kava I drive. High doses of heavy kavas.....nope. I have had double or wobbly vision, stumbling, slow reflexes etc with enough kava.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk