What's new

Dry, irritated lips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
So just an update, I've learned that the redness around the lips is actually caused by licking them ("lip lickers dermatitis"). So...don't lick your lips, and use chapstick sparingly, and it won't get that bad.

Jay

Kava Curious
I have used 250g and 25g instant in just under 2 weeks. 3 kneading and squeezing sessions.
My hands are dry and my top lip is dry.
Now, I'm pretty sure I could use gloves and be more careful when I take a shell to prevent this.

Is this why u find kava in topical soaps sometimes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
kavadude

Regular chapstick will actually cause more chapness, and dryness because of the petroleum.
Hopefully you are using a chapstick without it.

As for the issue at hand.
The Dermatitis. just means Im doing it right! :p
I find that a good electrolight mix usually clears it up nice, I generaly eat a banana everynight "I drink Kava almost every night" and that seems to combat it a little bit.
Plus makes for some Lucid dreaming.

I also think that a different approach should be used on the persuation on Kava on Noobs.
I've noticed that the Kava community generaly consist of intellects, and we all might know what some definitions are; but others might not know them in the "medical" term.
So I have found that changing some of the technical terms to more laymans terms has helped a great deal at the persuasion of people to come into the world of Awa.
Such as changing words like Dermatitis, to "dry skin"
It seems people get more scared when technical terms are used. o_O

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
No, since its kavas diuretic effects that cause it and not contact with the skin. However, since I stopped licking my lips, it hasn't bothered me at all.

Jana

Kava Enthusiast
I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer" but ... Every time you guys post all the dermopathy problems I'm taken back a bit. How in the world can we tell the world that Kava is safe when people are walking around with a trail of skin flakes following them? I only drink Kava 3 times a week max and do so in moderation and I hope that saves me from the dreaded Dermopathy. I guess the vitamin B in my home brewed beer (which I drink on my off days) makes me immune.
I'm just saying .....
I don't think it's necessarily out of place to note that the skin is our bodies' largest organ.

D

Deleted User01

After watching the dermo thread for a while (a few years), I have come to the following conclusions:
Some people are more skin sensitive than others.
Some strains are prone to causing dermo more than others.
Taking Kava in moderation helps.

I still don't get Dermo but I primarily do what I consider 2 of the noblest kavas, Moi and Nene. And 1 or 2 tablespoons of Micronized is plenty. But I have noticed that some people people, especially the fairer skinned, have a tendency to get rampant dermo when others have milder side effects if any. Anyway, every really good drug has some side effects and a little dry eye, dermo, or dry lips is a small price to pay for the benefits. Drink lots of water people!

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I've been experiencing really dry lips as well. No other issues unless I go really hard on Kava the night before. Then my eyes are a little dry. I've found that coconut oil and organic honey help. Many lip balms will actually dry your lips out more.

D

Deleted User01

@chandra and the gang, just buy a bunch of that inexpensive Carmex healing balm. I have those tiny jars in the bathroom, the office, and in the car. Don't leave home without it (on your Kava days).

Status
Not open for further replies.