What's new

Dry kava lifespan

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Anyone have experience with really old kava? Normally I don't go any further than 12 or 18 months back but I have an unopened bag that I found from 2.5 years ago... I also found a bag of previously opened Paradise "Premium Hawaiian" kava. Normally I would throw that out but I remember it being very good and it smells better than any kava I remember, even still. It smells like kavalactone extract...

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
So long as it smells OK it should be fine.
I've had kava that had been sitting at the back of my cupboard for around two years, but there are other anecdotes on this forum from people who've had even older kava than that.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
As long as it is well sealed it should be fine for a long time. If not well sealed it gets mould spores and smells bad. I've had up to 3 years old and it was OK.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I recently did a video on "Drinking Old Kava" on my website. I had a Stone Kava that was little over a year old, and it was still pretty potent, though certainly not as potent as a fresh bag.

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
Anyone have experience with really old kava? Normally I don't go any further than 12 or 18 months back but I have an unopened bag that I found from 2.5 years ago... I also found a bag of previously opened Paradise "Premium Hawaiian" kava. Normally I would throw that out but I remember it being very good and it smells better than any kava I remember, even still. It smells like kavalactone extract...
I've had Tongan Kava that had been stored away for over 10 years in Taovala mats and it was fine. Only change was a more woody taste. Tasted like the woven mats smelt. If its stored properly in a cool dry place you can store kava for a really really long time. I've had old kava that was stored in ziplock bags in hot conditions (ie under the seat of a car for a year) and that makes the kava have a harsh plastic chemically taste which I don't recommend.