What's new

Eating after Kava effects and scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
I find it quite hard to fit Kava into my life schedule. I was told not to drink it until at least 4 hours after you eat so I always try to aim for mid afternoon but the prep alone takes some time and by the time I get to it it just seems I never have enough time in the day to really enjoy it. If I eat dinner at 6 I would be expected to wait until 10 for a kava session which is just too long and doesn't give me enough time to enjoy it at night so I try to do it at about 4 but by the time I'm done prepping and doing all my shells (maybe one every 20 minutes) I'm already pretty much on the brink of eating. Sad thing is I notice I've got a good buzz going and once I've eaten within about 20 minutes the effects just vanish which sucks.

Not sure what your guys experience is with doing Kava before you eat but I'd like to hear how you fit it into your life. It'd really be nicer to do it more so in the evening but there really isn't enough time if I'm expected to eat to survive.

Alvin

I always take the Kava the first thing I do in the morning and then I eat something that doesn't need much digestion. It usually eat soy yogurt without anything in it, and I sometimes just mix the Kava in it. This has worked out very well for me for over a year. Also I don't prepare my Kava at all. I use the root powder (not micronized) in a glass of water or hazelnut milk (highly recommended to mask the taste), but directly in something like yogurt seems to give a much larger buzz for me. I've also noticed that eating something like bread right after Kava kills an ongoing buzz for some reason, just as you said.

I'm taking Kava for OCD, and this method works surprisingly well.

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
I always take the Kava the first thing I do in the morning and then I eat something that doesn't need much digestion. It usually eat soy yogurt without anything in it, and I sometimes just mix the Kava in it. This has worked out very well for me for over a year. Also I don't prepare my Kava at all. I use the root powder (not micronized) in a glass of water or hazelnut milk (highly recommended to mask the taste), but directly in something like yogurt seems to give a much larger buzz for me. I've also noticed that eating something like bread right after Kava kills an ongoing buzz for some reason, just as you said.

I'm taking Kava for OCD, and this method works surprisingly well.
How much kava powder and what brand?

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
I don't want to drink so much kava when I'm taking care of my children, so I just take 1 cup on empty stomach before dinner and then more after the kids are alseep. I don't eat very much at dinner time.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Increasingly, I have been having experiences with food potentiating Kava. Sometimes it's actually a little bit unpleasant. I'll lose my appetite, and then when I force myself to eat it doubles the effects of the Kava and seems to increase (at least a feeling of) body temperature. Soup (Ramen in particular, and the good kind that you get in restaurants) seems to really potentiate the Kava. I feel like the effects of Kava don't feel as good when you have a "full" feeling.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I think I mentioned on that other thread I eat a big breakfast and lunch and no dinner. Lunch at 12 to 2 ish and kava anytime from 6 onwards. I drink with milk so don't need food to potentiate anything. This can get in the way of life with a non kava drinking partner and a social life but works fine for me. If I go out to eat in the evening I just have 3 hours off after eating and then have a couple of quick shells before bed.

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
Increasingly, I have been having experiences with food potentiating Kava. Sometimes it's actually a little bit unpleasant. I'll lose my appetite, and then when I force myself to eat it doubles the effects of the Kava and seems to increase (at least a feeling of) body temperature. Soup (Ramen in particular, and the good kind that you get in restaurants) seems to really potentiate the Kava. I feel like the effects of Kava don't feel as good when you have a "full" feeling.
Maybe that is why I'm so thin...

Alvin

How much kava powder and what brand?
One tablespoon each time I dose. It's enough for me, I'm thin and very sensitive to substances, 3 tablespoons and i start getting problems with my balance and a bit too giggly. I've used Kaolik and Taveuni from globalkavaexports. Skål.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
I find it quite hard to fit Kava into my life schedule. I was told not to drink it until at least 4 hours after you eat so I always try to aim for mid afternoon but the prep alone takes some time and by the time I get to it it just seems I never have enough time in the day to really enjoy it. If I eat dinner at 6 I would be expected to wait until 10 for a kava session which is just too long and doesn't give me enough time to enjoy it at night so I try to do it at about 4 but by the time I'm done prepping and doing all my shells (maybe one every 20 minutes) I'm already pretty much on the brink of eating. Sad thing is I notice I've got a good buzz going and once I've eaten within about 20 minutes the effects just vanish which sucks.

Just drink more Kava. Yes the effects are much better on an empty stomach, but if you keep drinking it, even after you eat, you will feel it. I usually try and eat lunch around 2pm, then drink some kava between 5-8, then eat.

Kava_Joe

Kava Curious
Due to blood sugars issues this is a problem I deal with all the time. It's not good for me to go without eating 2-3 hrs, 4 max. If time allows , Bula a shell or two before eating. Then stagger your meal between Bulas and drink Kava as your beverage while you eat. When I'm done I just keep drinking it. For me this works like a charm.
Keep us posted and many Bulas !

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
One tablespoon each time I dose. It's enough for me, I'm thin and very sensitive to substances, 3 tablespoons and i start getting problems with my balance and a bit too giggly. I've used Kaolik and Taveuni from globalkavaexports. Skål.
Same here! Thin and sensetive.

Kravatomill

Kava Curious
I personally like to start to drink around 4-5 pm, usually eat lunch before around noonish.
however, I never do kava without some snack afterwards, it just makes me feel kind of "bluergh", usually I'll have a banana or some peanuts after a shell, I don't feel it interracts with the effects at all, if anything it makes the whole experience better for me, and it also makes it easier to wait with real dinner until 8-9 pm, which is ideal for me.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
In my experience, Kava seems to be potentiated when you eat something after drinking the Kava. It may be just cereal, as that's what I've just eaten. It's (maybe) definitely not placebo because eating, after drinking Kava, also potentiates the dizziness and double vision. Now, if the brain can cause dizziness and double vision just through the placebo effect, I'd be amazed.

Normally I need to have a very empty stomach to get strong effects. I had heard about eating afterwards punching it up a level, and experienced this as well. but right now eating afterwards is a must! Whether it is the kind I am using or just the fact that I'm doing a ketogenic diet, even 4 tablespoons of micronized Fiji Loa Waka does almost nothing until I eat! the label says 1 tablespoon, but I have had as much as 3 on a ravenous empty stomach and sat there waiting to feel something! Food afterwards and I'm plowed! This has been my consistent result now since going on keto... don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Saghloqh

Kava Curious
Normally I need to have a very empty stomach to get strong effects. I had heard about eating afterwards punching it up a level, and experienced this as well. but right now eating afterwards is a must! Whether it is the kind I am using or just the fact that I'm doing a ketogenic diet, even 4 tablespoons of micronized Fiji Loa Waka does almost nothing until I eat! the label says 1 tablespoon, but I have had as much as 3 on a ravenous empty stomach and sat there waiting to feel something! Food afterwards and I'm plowed! This has been my consistent result now since going on keto... don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.
Kavalactones are very fat soluble, so it's likely that the high-fat aspect of keto is helping with absorption. I have definitely noticed that mixing some heavy cream into my grog will punch the strength up a significant amount.

However, I do notice that while onset is a bit slower, the timing of kava doesn't seem to vary in strength based on not having eaten vs. Right after a meal.

I've been on a keto diet for years though, a quite strict one as I use it for anxiety control... So I am for about 70% fat in my diet. It's possible this makes it so even if I have just eaten, the increased solubility outweighs any negative in regards to a full stomach.

Also, good to see another keto kava'er!

Munsoned

Kava Curious
Being that I eat low carb and/or keto, I find that the kava works fine whether I have just ate or fasted beforehand. I went to a local kava bar today post lunch and I found myself feeling real good after a bowl, and then I felt really good after a couple of bowls.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I'm not keto but avoid too many bread type products for health reasons. It makes a big difference in my kava experience too. If I'm starving and want a kava session, I usually have fresh fruit with it and that goes over very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.