What's new

Effects of Smoking Kava?

KavaJazz

Kava Curious
The reason I was wondering in the first place though was that the reports I read said that smoking gave all of the effects with a very small amount of kava. If one were to take an aqueous extract of kava like we normally drink, then allow it to sit in a dish with lots of surface area until the water evaporated, maybe it wouldn't taste be so bad in a vaporizer. You could get more effects with less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spacegirlelt

Daydreamer
I *can't* imagine smoking Kava would be that great. Lighting the Kava would basically destroy the kavalactones in it and render it useless. I've read some of those Erowid reports and while they sometimes feature really insightful stories and are a good resource for user experiences, I wonder if those people would just smoke anything.

Last edited:

KavaJazz

Kava Curious
@spacegirllelt yeah that's true. Usually they end up being incredibly disappointed with what they smoke though.

spacegirlelt

Daydreamer
As I've seen. A lot of the people there are into the 'herbal highs' kind of stuff, which usually produces no desirable effects for them. Smoking kava must smell terrible, from what I have heard.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Just to let you guys know, a friend of mine used to sell kava to smoke and he stopped selling it because everyone said it did not work, he used the dried leaves and a little bit of 30% kava extract. I never tried it because I do not smoke but everyone I talked to that did try it said it did not work.
Drinking it is much better for me and healthier than smoking it, especially since we do not know how the kavalactones or other ingredients change after being heated up so much by smoking it. Again there is thousands of years of success with drinking Noble kava and not much time or success with smoking the kava. Drink Noble and be happy. :)
Aloha.

Chris

Last edited:

KavaJazz

Kava Curious
Possibly a way to make it more worthwhile and safe would be to first do an aqueous extract like what we drink and then evaporate it into a sort of concertante.

KavaCat

Meow.
My thought is this: If the islanders who have had kava around for a long, long time, don't smoke the stuff, then you can be pretty sure it isn't worth smoking. Given the taste, I'm sure they would have tried. People try to smoke just about anything and everything. Kava is not the green goddess. You can't make it into anything you want it to be (as unfortunate as that is). Just drink up!

KavaJazz

Kava Curious
Yeah. However, many cultures never smoked anything until it was introduced.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
My thought is this: If the islanders who have had kava around for a long, long time, don't smoke the stuff, then you can be pretty sure it isn't worth smoking. Given the taste, I'm sure they would have tried. People try to smoke just about anything and everything. Kava is not the green goddess. You can't make it into anything you want it to be (as unfortunate as that is). Just drink up!
Yes, I agree. Much Love. Roaddog....

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
As a young teen experimenting with things to alleviate my anxiety and muscle pain, I admittedly tried to vaporize a concentrated paste I concocted, it produced some ear ringing and a little bit of headiness, tasted HORRIBLE, and left my lungs feeling damaged. I wouldn't recommend it at all. Vaporizing it was awful I can't imagine how much worse smoking it would be.

KavaJazz

Kava Curious
Well, I succumbed to my curiosity. I smoked a bit out of a water pipe. It was very hard to get much smoke due to how densely packed the kava gets, but it wasn't too harsh of smoke. I feel nice kava-like effects that I'm pretty sure aren't a placebo.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Well kavassuers, there you have it. The first official kava forums kavanaut.

KavaJazz

Kava Curious
Reporting back,
I had a few more hits and felt a tad anxious and felt nothing else. I'm a little regretful because of the unknown effects of the chemicals when smoked, but I'm sure I'll be fine.

KavaJazz

Kava Curious
Haha. No longer anxious, but still wondering about the safety of what I did. Time will tell.

KavaJazz

Kava Curious
Well, I'm still here. Wasn't worth it, the effects got no stronger with the more lungful a I took, meaning it must've been a placebo after all.