Change background image

Enjoying alcohol less now?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by WaitingForGrogot, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Dear Kava-aficionados,

Do any of you just enjoy drinking less these days? I don't mean stopping/cutting back because kava holds more appeal; rather when you do drink, does it feel less pleasurable for you? British culture is quite alcohol orientated, especially around celebrations/funerals/weddings etc, and not drinking can come across as a little rude, so I tend to partake when it feels obligatory. However, since drinking kava regularly I've noticed that alcohol just isn't as nice anymore. I don't like the loss of coordination, I can feel it hanging around in my system hours afterwards marking me groggy, and hangovers seem to be worse (thought that's probably me just getting older!) Has anybody else had this experience?
    Mrbinx69 and Intrepidus_dux like this.
  2. Krunkie McKrunkface

Krunkie McKrunkface Kava Enthusiast

That was a phase I went through after I started drinking kava. I never rejected alcohol directly but found myself again and again opening a beer, having a sip and then forgetting about it and throwing it out st the end of the night. I only stopped opening a beer to begin with because it seemed pointless and a waste of money. For me it really was not a case of rejecting alcohol, but simply losing desire for it. FWIW I don’t honestly think I would have or could have stopped any other way. Ymmv of course.
  3. fait

fait Position 5 Hard Support

I've lost much desire to drink alcohol and I have a full liquor cabinet full of stuff to drink on the rocks or to mix with. It's not related to my drinking kava. I've had many dry spells of kava and I've only started drinking it semi-regularly the past month or so. But I feel like drinking makes more sense in a social context when I'm with friends. At home, I used to have a beer with dinner or a lowball when I'm in the mood, but these have become less frequent the past year.

I can't say I'll stop drinking alcohol altogether but my moods for it come and go.
    Intrepidus_dux likes this.
  4. Krunkie McKrunkface

One thing that seems to be a pattern for many who do not stop drinking alcohol together after becoming acclimated to kava's lattitudes is they do drop their consumption to a much lower and less harmful level so it really doesn't matter if they actually stop or not, as the potential harms of alcohol get reduced to a very manageable and non-threatening level.
    Zaphod and WaitingForGrogot like this.
  5. readyman

readyman Member

16 years ago i had to stop drinking alcohol period or die found kava Jeffery at nakalahome taught me how to learn to drink kava it was still no piece of cake but kava kept me sober
  6. Krunkie McKrunkface

One really nice thing for me about kava is though I really have nothing against alcohol, neither do I miss it. It's less like a sacrifice and more like I gained something, or at least that's what it felt like for me. Nothing helps prevent relapse like absence of craving or obsessing on the "forbidden fruit."
  7. readyman

readyman Member

RIGHTON
  8. Pauluk

Pauluk Kava Enthusiast

WaitingforGrogot
    I'm in the UK and part of a drinking family too. My experience has been the same as yours. I occasionally drink when out. (never at home anymore) . It is not as good. I do not enjoy it like I did. I figure it's because before I started drinking Kava booze was all I had. I wouod abstain all week and look forward to a drink Friday and Saturday. That first couple were like an angels tears. If I'm honest it wouod be the first time all week that I felt good. Now I drink so rare there isn't that dependence. Plus I can have kava all week when I want so stress isn't building up.
  9. Kapmcrunk

Kapmcrunk The Kaptain of Crunk KavaForums Founder

For the record. Threads like these save lives.
  10. Intrepidus_dux

Intrepidus_dux Kava Enthusiast

I made German glühwein as is traditional for me on Thanksgiving, but did not drink it on Thanksgiving because kava is clearly more fun. I had a couple glasses the next day, and I agree that it is less enjoyable now. I dumped the rest of it out after one glass the day after that. Before kava I would drink 2-4 beers almost nightly for pain and relaxation. Some would call me an alcoholic and I would vehemently deny it. I found kava and in around a month stopped drinking because kava was simply better. This was about two years ago now. In 2018 I've had less than five drinks. I've never been able to count it on one hand before!
  11. Pauluk - That does sound very similar to me, there are quite a few nightly drinkers in my family and social circle - and that's before we've even got to celebrations and festivities! A few years ago I'd think about getting to Friday or Saturday night after a hard working week and not drinking as a total waste, not any more. It's remarkable how kava can alter the lifestyle of people culturally and socially habituated to alcohol. It's almost like there's some neuro-plasticity or brain rewiring going on, the change can be quite profound. I really think kava has a role to play in harm reduction for heavy drinkers - though it is a journey that can take time for some.

Intrepidus_dux - The same story here, I've had about 5 or 6 drinks this year, and not enjoyed any of them anything like I used to, waking up groggy the next day. It might be psychosomatic but a few hours after a drink it just feels like there's a toxin running through my system, whereas I don't get anything like that with kava.
  12. Intrepidus_dux

Another thought; choosing kava over alcohol doesn't have to be a decision of whether to choose to socialize with the masses in their way. Bring the masses to you. Host a game night, arrange for families to come together and make reservations for a hayride, meet together with everyone for kava and then go to the bar for games. Even those who do not partake in kava can participate in the kava shells before departing by being present and joking around. Kava is not for everyone, but in my experience I've had a grand time with mixed groups of alcohol drinkers and kava drinkers, particularly when hosting. I must admit though, most eventually move towards the kava, at least when I am the one to introduce them. ;-)
    HeadHodge likes this.
  13. Zaphod

Zaphod Kava Enthusiast

Short answer is yes. Longer answer is I went from my early 20's where I only drank when I went out, to my 30's where I started to drink ~2 drinks per night. I spent a good 15 years drinking almost nightly. More of a habit than anything else, never felt I "needed" it and had no problem going without it. Once I started onto kava mostly for anxiety and better sleep and got to the the 2-3 month mark I noticed that the typical euphoria from a 2-3 drink buzz felt markedly different. I still feel the sedative effects, and the effects on motor coordination - but kava has clearly changed the euphoria from alcohol to the point where I don't get the same effect. Without that euphoria and energy the want to drink alcohol pretty much disappears. I still like to drink craft beers, and bourbon - but that is because I truly enjoy the taste. Do I occasionally miss the "fun 2 beer buzz" sure, but it is a fair trade imho for the benefits of kava over alcohol.
    HeadHodge likes this.
  14. Krunkie McKrunkface

you're very persuasive.
  15. Intrepidus_dux

Maybe, in the right situations. Passion is an infectious energy as you know from your lovely prep videos.