What's new

Experimentation: Phase 1

SuicideAnomaly

somewhere between raising hell & amazing grace
Hi people. I just toss'n'washed my first 2 tbsp. of kava root powder ever. I am a recovering addict (benzos, pain killers, etc) and anything prescription is pretty dangerous in my posession, however , I also suffer from severe ptsd, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and a host of other fun mental illnesses. Therefore I often require aid for super hard days when I can't function properly. After much reading and debating, I decided to try this. I have been a K@ user for quite some time now, almost daily two spoonfuls in the morning so I can feel generally cheery about doing mundane day to day things .... always relying on the "toss'n'wash" method bc let's face it who wants to TASTE that awful taste long enough for blended drinks and grog? Not me. So, today, after reading that taking kava with warm milk/fatty things that it was absorbed better, I gave it a go with a cup of coffee with milk, 1 tsp. coconut oil and sugar , swished and swallowed (It tastes like licorice, but after taking the Maeng Da so long, I can tolerate it fairly easily. I am not expecting a giant effect, as I've read about the reverse tolerance thing also. The numbing effect in my mouth was immediate. I hope it works that well on my brain. Open to suggestions, advice, constructive criticism, and experiences. Please feel free to share. -JoJo

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Hi people. I just toss'n'washed my first 2 tbsp. of kava root powder ever. I am a recovering addict (benzos, pain killers, etc) and anything prescription is pretty dangerous in my posession, however , I also suffer from severe ptsd, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and a host of other fun mental illnesses. Therefore I often require aid for super hard days when I can't function properly. After much reading and debating, I decided to try this. I have been a K***** user for quite some time now, almost daily two spoonfuls in the morning so I can feel generally cheery about doing mundane day to day things .... always relying on the "toss'n'wash" method bc let's face it who wants to TASTE that awful taste that long? Not me. So, today, after reading that taking kava with warm milk/fatty things that it was absorbed better, I gave it a go with a cup of coffee with milk, 1 tsp. coconut oil and sugar , swished and swallowed. I am not expecting a giant effect, as I've read about the reverse tolerance thing also. Open to suggestions, advice, constructive criticism, and experiences. Please feel free to share. -JoJo
Welcome to the forum! Suggestion: filter your kava instead of toss'n'washing (unless you are using micronized or instant). Your tummy will thank you!

SuicideAnomaly

Welcome to the forum! Suggestion: filter your kava instead of toss'n'washing (unless you are using micronized or instant). Your tummy will thank you!
I've also read about straining, grog, etc. It seems rather tedious a process , would pills be better and as potent? Furthermore, how much exactly is known about the actual need to strain? Is it somehow safer that way? I wouldn't think so, considering no matter how you dice it , it's all the same stuff. What's the difference? I'm curious

verticity

I'm interested in things
I've also read about straining, grog, etc. It seems rather tedious a process , would pills be better and as potent? Furthermore, how much exactly is known about the actual need to strain? Is it somehow safer that way? I wouldn't think so, considering no matter how you dice it , it's all the same stuff. What's the difference? I'm curious
It's not that bad. You just knead it in a stocking for ten minutes. I like to put on some music while I am doing it. Three pop songs later: grog. Pills are convenient, but not as potent. If you want to go that route, the capsules from Gaia are pretty good. I think there is some evidence that it is safer to do water extraction rather than consume the whole root. Water extraction tends to extract just the "good stuff" and not as much of the potentially toxic compounds in the whole root. And like I said, if you toss'n'wash you are placing yourself in grave danger of a bout of explosive flatulence or worse. (Believe me)

SuicideAnomaly

It's not that bad. You just knead it in a stocking for ten minutes. I like to put on some music while I am doing it. Three pop songs later: grog. Pills are convenient, but not as potent. If you want to go that route, the capsules from Gaia are pretty good. I think there is some evidence that it is safer to do water extraction rather than consume the whole root. Water extraction tends to extract just the "good stuff" and not as much of the potentially toxic compounds in the whole root. And like I said, if you toss'n'wash you are placing yourself in grave danger of a bout of explosive flatulence or worse. (Believe me)
and what would you know about mixing it WITH K@. I mean... I had my usual dose of K@ early this morning. It's been 8 hours since. I'm not going to die. I feel fine. Just wondering if u had any intel I am not privy to.

verticity

I'm interested in things
and what would you know about mixing it WITH K*****. I mean... I had my usual dose of K***** early this morning. It's been 8 hours since. I'm not going to die. I feel fine. Just wondering if u had any intel I am not privy to.
Not much. I know K*** is a mild opiate, and kava acts in a completely different way, but they can both be sedating, so you might experience some extra sedation when you combine them.
Maybe someone else with experience can chime in here.
Kava can be useful for withdrawing off such things, though.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Stay away from any extracts or pills that aren't well known or tested. Gaia Herbs ones have passed muster here on the boards.

When you toss-and-wash medium grind, you're getting a lot of maka fibers (the long, fibrous structures that run the length of the root) which don't grind down very well, don't digest very well, and cause me a ton of stomach upset. If you were taking whole root, micronized is better since makas are removed prior to grinding (in GHK's case) or filtered out during processing (most other micronized providers.)

10 minutes tops to squeeze all the good stuff out of the bad stuff in a nylon knee-high, and it's MORE effective than other methods in my experience. I've still gotten the strongest effects from a traditionally prepared medium grind kava.

SuicideAnomaly

Oh, and Welcome to the Forums!

I think you'll find some relief in kava. Kava has chopped my anxiety down to its lowest levels in years.
I am unsure of what kind of grind I am dealing with. I was inexperienced and uninformed when purchasing. Luckily I didn't toss n wash very much, just three level tablespoons , and have experienced no stomach trauma as of yet. *fingers crossed I can skip that lesson* . After reading several hours now on ingestion in it's many varieties. I've decided to make my own cocktail (a "grog" of sorts) then just do shooters of that until desired relief is achieved. The packaging reads that it's 100% organic lateral root origin: Tonga . Although it DID work a little, for a short while, I was hoping for a more sedating effect . Perhaps I will achieve it with this next endeavor. Trial & error... Cover me... I'm goin' in.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I am unsure of what kind of grind I am dealing with. I was inexperienced and uninformed when purchasing. Luckily I didn't toss n wash very much, just three level tablespoons , and have experienced no stomach trauma as of yet. *fingers crossed I can skip that lesson* . After reading several hours now on ingestion in it's many varieties. I've decided to make my own cocktail (a "grog" of sorts) then just do shooters of that until desired relief is achieved. The packaging reads that it's 100% organic lateral root origin: Tonga . Although it DID work a little, for a short while, I was hoping for a more sedating effect . Perhaps I will achieve it with this next endeavor. Trial & error... Cover me... I'm goin' in.
If it doesn't specifically say it is instant or micronized, then it is almost certainly regular medium grind.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I'll opt for the instant next time I order... is it just as potent?
Instant is potent, but it is relatively expensive per serving. Micronized is equally potent but less expensive than instant (but more expensive than medium grind) Gourmet Hawaiian Kava makes good instants and micronized.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
If I may offer a personal thought, I would suggest that you try some herbal isolation and stick with kava for awhile to really see what it does to you without that other stuff in your system. If you really want to experiment, you really must isolate. The K@ is a variable that will throw your experiment off.

I was mildly curious about K@ at one point but I found that it is very hard to verify it's purity. A lot of cutting (diluting) can occur before it leaves Indonesia and after it crosses other borders. I wonder if there is a forum for that stuff with a @Deleted User kind of guy that does tests on samples to let the public know what's up with the product. I must say that I lost interest in that topic. I once inquired about it and the vendor needed me to process the first part of the order online and complete it on the phone in order to interfere with government tracking. No thanks.

SuicideAnomaly

If I may offer a personal thought, I would suggest that you try some herbal isolation and stick with kava for awhile to really see what it does to you without that other stuff in your system. If you really want to experiment, you really must isolate. The K***** is a variable that will throw your experiment off.

I was mildly curious about K***** at one point but I found that it is very hard to verify it's purity. A lot of cutting (diluting) can occur before it leaves Indonesia and after it crosses other borders. I wonder if there is a forum for that stuff with a @Deleted User kind of guy that does tests on samples to let the public know what's up with the product. I must say that I lost interest in that topic. I once inquired about it and the vendor needed me to process the first part of the order online and complete it on the phone in order to interfere with government tracking. No thanks.
Luckily it is legal in the US in most states, including mine otherwise, I'd have never discovered or bothered with it. The potency of K@, does indeed, always vary. It's a touch & go type situation. You either feel it a lot or sometimes not at all. I have been faithful to certain brands after trying many and finding what works best for me. Capsules literally get lodged in the throat and do not digest well, therefore straight powder is the best way to go. I will have to taper off the K@ in order to notice the full and uninterrupted effects, this is true, as K@ is a stimulant much like coffee or caffeine, which would be counterproductive when trying to slow things down. The cutting and diluting is commonplace with anything being sold in any market . Everything's stepped on unless you're grinding the kava root yourself (which i hear is a tedious chore), I'm sure just about EVERY brand regardless of how expensive cuts corners to save money. Sad but true. Nothing's truly pure unless you create it yourself.

verticity

I'm interested in things
The cutting and diluting is commonplace with anything being sold in any market . Everything's stepped on unless you're grinding the kava root yourself (which i hear is a tedious chore), I'm sure just about EVERY brand regardless of how expensive cuts corners to save money.
Actually, in the case of kava, if you buy from one of the reputable vendors on this forum, you can be assured you are getting consistently potent kava that is not "cut" with anything. Our member Deleted User does independent testing on samples people send in to ensure this.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
Luckily it is legal in the US in most states, including mine otherwise, I'd have never discovered or bothered with it. The potency of K*****, does indeed, always vary. It's a touch & go type situation. You either feel it a lot or sometimes not at all. I have been faithful to certain brands after trying many and finding what works best for me. Capsules literally get lodged in the throat and do not digest well, therefore straight powder is the best way to go. I will have to taper off the K***** in order to notice the full and uninterrupted effects, this is true, as K***** is a stimulant much like coffee or caffeine, which would be counterproductive when trying to slow things down. The cutting and diluting is commonplace with anything being sold in any market . Everything's stepped on unless you're grinding the kava root yourself (which i hear is a tedious chore), I'm sure just about EVERY brand regardless of how expensive cuts corners to save money. Sad but true. Nothing's truly pure unless you create it yourself.
Yes, it's legal in my state too. The legality is up in the air though as far as the future is concerned. It is something that is being looked at. Like most plants, I don't have any issues with it but people will do anything to make a buck and are often okay doing so if it is "legal." If you need a nice stimulant that goes beyond coffee, might I suggest one that lots of athletes use, including me. It's simply Bronkaid and a caffeine pill, often called an EC stack. I only take mine in the morning but many athletes take it three times a day. I love the buzz. As far as purity, you needed to talk to @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. His name is Chris can walk you through his process and he has some great photos of his equipment too. The purity of his product is confirmed by @Deleted User and True Kava. When you put them together, I think you would be impressed if you care about purity. My own research on K@ provided me with nothing close to what these guys are presenting. In fact, GHK is quite brave. To me, the information that they share with customers (and another vendors) is like Colonel Sanders posting his spices online. Good luck with the experiment. I hope yours goes better than mine!