What's new

Explaining what kava taste is like...

Steve

Ozia - KavaKava Candy
Kava Vendor
Over the years, I've found it rather difficult to explain to a first time user what kava really tastes like....rather than sound like a food critic and prepare someone with all the angles - I created this little visual. For some reason adding a little humor and a lot of truth; it really makes sense and people are much more open when it first hits the palate. Yes, I told them the whole muddy water thing but putting it in relation to society and friends...it surely sits better :)

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
When I introduce people to kava then always say how does it taste. I say not good, it tastes like plant roots, licking a wet rock, or drinking mud. Then I wait for the reaction, either they say oh ok not so bad or they wretch. When they wretch I pour the orange Tang in their shell and all is better for the ones who really can't drink it.
I look at it like the time my buddy took me for my first tattoo. It was a long drive and the whole time he kept telling me it hurts awful, it feels like they are peeling your skin off, yadda yadda, but you can do it, I will be right there. I was terrified but wasn't going to wimp out. After it started I looked at him and he smiled as he knew he had me so pumped up it hurt even less then they actually do.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I tell people that it tastes like, in no particular order, dirt, wood, soap, listerine, a touch of black pepper (esp. vanuatu varieties),
and a little pine.

Mmmm. Kava. :)

When I first started drinking kava, I made it too weak. The taste was actually not bad at all. Making it strong enough to
get decent effects, however, WOOF.

I envy @Kavasseur's genuine enjoyment of the flavor!

verticity

I'm interested in things
@Judd Rench said that many traditional Chinese medicines have a similar "earthy" taste. Maybe I should tell my spouse that. She is second generation Chinese American, so she knows what Chinese medicine tastes like from her parents giving it to her. That probably would not convince her to try kava, though, lol.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
If you're going to drug someone without their knowledge, the drug would need to not have a very strong disgusting taste, I think.
Seriously! Kava bitterness is so deep and penetrating, it often infects my chaser bite with it's repulsiveness.
I wonder how America's dad masked the bitter chemical flavor of quaaludes, if he did find a way to mask it, I'll start using it as my kava chaser. Then something good will have come of all these Jello-puddin' rapings. ::awesomesmiles::

verticity

I'm interested in things
Seriously! Kava bitterness is so deep and penetrating, it often infects my chaser bite with it's repulsiveness.
I wonder how America's dad masked the bitter chemical flavor of quaaludes, if he did find a way to mask it, I'll start using it as my kava chaser. Then something good will have come of all these Jello-puddin' rapings. ::awesomesmiles::
I don't know; I think the only good that could possibly come of it would be to raise awareness of women about the danger of creeps like him, and reduce the stigma of coming forward when they are raped by someone who happens to be famous and powerful. Of course, an accusation is not a conviction (Michael Jackson was truly innocent IMO), rights of defendants must be protected in equal measure to those of accusers. There will always be opportunists trying to cash in by accusing rich/famous men of raping them, of whom we should be wary as well. But in Cosby's case, the evidence is so overwhelming (he actually basically confessed in his civil suit testimony), I can't wait to see him behind bars, as he should have been a long time ago (in my opinion)

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
If I brew Kava just right and it has that frothy top layer then I think it tastes amazing. I guess my palate just associates the taste of Kava with instant relief. I'm a true Kavahead and love the flavor of the root. But yeah, I remember the first few times I tried it I really had to work to get it down.
I've got to agree with the Kavasseur on this one, I truly enjoy the taste of cold frothy brew, especially a nice light Hawaiian or Fijian strain. On my Kava journey I have only experienced one that really tasted like mud. If they all tasted like that one I wouldn't be able to do it.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Quaaludes actually taste like candy canes if you chew them. True fact.
(But seriously he masked the chemical taste with hard liquor. I wouldn't recommend that as a kava chaser)

Last edited:

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
@Kavasseur when you say "frothy" do you literally mean like a layer of froth on top like a latte? I have never seen that. Do you use soy lechitin or something in your prep to get that?
The frothy shell used to be a myth, or at least a difficult goal. I used to make batches of Kava and swing them around in a pail or post-mix them vigorously with a spoon.

And then came along the @Kavafied AluBall.

Fill an AluBall generously (if you do it in a bag you can do more than half a ball) and then shake it for about one minute with 400 ml of water. Pour immediately into a shell and you'll see a thick, Guinness-like layer of Kava sitting on top of your brew like an ice sheet. It really gives Kava this kind of textural kick that makes it unbelievably delicious.

Attachments