What's new

Fallen right into the Kava Life

Paul Peno

Kava Curious
So I've been drinking Kava for the past month or so pretty much every night after work and must say I love the relaxation and the deep restful sleep I've been getting from it.

Usually I 4 ball Squanch and supreme and pound it for the instant krunkness but I ran out of squanch and decided to substitute it for Nambawan and whoa it's an awesome feeling, think this could be my go to mix.

The best thing is that I also haven't touched a drop of alcohol where i was having a few beers most nights to get my buzz and relax after work, now with Kava I wake up the next morning feeling rested and in a good mood rather than varying states of hungover.
Another thing I've noticed , pretty much all the Kavas that I've heard taste like crap are actually more palateable to me than those that are supposed to taste great like tongan family reserve. The Vanuatans seem the better tasting ones to me so far.

Only downside is that I've probably gotten through around 3lb in the past month so this could be an expensive hobby haha.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
So I've been drinking Kava for the past month or so pretty much every night after work and must say I love the relaxation and the deep restful sleep I've been getting from it.

Usually I 4 ball Squanch and supreme and pound it for the instant krunkness but I ran out of squanch and decided to substitute it for Nambawan and whoa it's an awesome feeling, think this could be my go to mix.

The best thing is that I also haven't touched a drop of alcohol where i was having a few beers most nights to get my buzz and relax after work, now with Kava I wake up the next morning feeling rested and in a good mood rather than varying states of hungover.
Another thing I've noticed , pretty much all the Kavas that I've heard taste like crap are actually more palateable to me than those that are supposed to taste great like tongan family reserve. The Vanuatans seem the better tasting ones to me so far.

Only downside is that I've probably gotten through around 3lb in the past month so this could be an expensive hobby haha.
Welcome home.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
there are ways to make it more affordable. I drink on average 3L of kava a day every day and it costs me about $4 a day. Well worth it, IMO. Especially for all the reasons you described above. Sigh..... I love a happy ending. It is better, isn't it? No hangovers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jiro

there are ways to make it more affordable. I drink on average 3L of kava a day every day and it costs me about $4 a day. Well worth it, IMO. Especially for all the reasons you described above. Sigh..... I love a happy ending. It is better, isn't it? No hangovers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I’m very new to lava and enjoying it a lot so far. Would you please elaborate on how you can drink so much for only $4 a day? Thank you very much krunkie I know I can learn a lot from you guys in this great community.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
In terms of effects, side effects and cost it's more accurate to compare the amount of actual root used. I've been using the CTAHR method which yields just over a liter of prepared grog at 50 grams root (3 washes blended and strained). Sure I could dilute it and have more grog to drink but then I'd end up with less kava effects which, for me, would defeat the purpose of drinking kava to begin with.

As far as costs and using 50g/a day example I'm paying about $7-10 a day (including shipping) which isn't very economical... especially if you add in the cost of moisturizers, lotions, eye drops, etc needed to deal with long term side effects like dermo. I've cut back quite a bit the past couple months but the cost to benefit ratio is still hard to continue to justify at 50g/day.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
In terms of effects, side effects and cost it's more accurate to compare the amount of actual root used. I've been using the CTAHR method which yields just over a liter of prepared grog at 50 grams root (3 washes blended and strained). Sure I could dilute it and have more grog to drink but then I'd end up with less kava effects which, for me, would defeat the purpose of drinking kava to begin with.

As far as costs and using 50g/a day example I'm paying about $7-10 a day (including shipping) which isn't very economical... especially if you add in the cost of moisturizers, lotions, eye drops, etc needed to deal with long term side effects like dermo. I've cut back quite a bit the past couple months but the cost to benefit ratio is still hard to continue to justify at 50g/day.
Your point is an excellent one and I hope everyone gets it. Many people’s experience with kava can be different. My 50g/day project is as good an example as any, since instantly we saw in one post it’s just right, in the next it’s too much and in the next it’s insufficient.

OTOH, my only real point “one can achieve considerable economies through techniques” is a universally valid one.

Last edited:

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
If you actually use 10 dollars worth of kava a day. Take a day off a week .
This will save you 40 a month off your kava purchasing.
2 days 80.
3 120.
You'll feel better anyway
I know. Over a long period of daily drinking it does become a habit/routine and taking days or weeks off isn't quite as easy to do as it once was. It also requires something else to replace it with but it doesn't look like it's going to be sustainable with market prices continuing to be as high as they are and the general quality still on the decline.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I know. Over a long period of daily drinking it does become a habit/routine and taking days or weeks off isn't quite as easy to do as it once was. It also requires something else to replace it with but it doesn't look like it's going to be sustainable with market prices continuing to be as high as they are and the general quality still on the decline.
This is out in left field but why not try getting some good quality isa and spike your nobles with a little bit, just enough to push the strength or “quality” to the desired level?

FWIW 90% of me drinks kava for the 90% of its benefits which might be delivered to me systemically in the hours day and weeks after I drink it. To be sure, the 10% of me that loves the 10% of kava’s benefits which are immediate really enjoys the krunk or subtle gradations of it that don’t go all the way to krunktown station. But that’s a distraction, IMO, like being a fan of Rachel Wiesz because she has great tits which is fair enough, she does but she’s a fascinatingly intelligent woman and one of the finest actresses of our age, if only they’d give her good scripts and directors, and she seems to bring great happiness to her husband, Daniel Craig, another actor capable of far better than the drivel he gets stuck with, and oh yeah, great tits, if you're Into that thing. Similarly, kava has great benefits on all manner of fronts and, oh yeah, as an added bonus kava can have great tits. Sometimes big, sometimes small sometimes overwhelming and sometimes homeopathic (anything over a mouthful is wasted or as in Vanuatu spat out) kava has great tits.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
This is out in left field but why not try getting some good quality isa and spike your nobles with a little bit, just enough to push the strength or “quality” to the desired level?
That is an option but I'd rather not make it part of my every day routine at this point. In the past we've had noble or noble-ish products that have met all the criteria that I look for in a good kava. I know what you or myself consider quality isn't the same but that's OK. Your drinking style is very different from mine but it's great that it works for you. That's why herbal medicine is so important. With research and experimentation we are not bound to the chains of the medical system and pharmaceuticals that have a long history of failure.

For me the immediate and long term benefits go hand in hand. Anxiety relief, muscle relaxation and deep sleep are what I want and what I used to get with most kava products. By itself drinking every day does not provide these effects and they only last as long as the kavalactones are active. When they end, the benefits end. I'm fine with that, I just want to experience the recreational and medicinal value I did in the past.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
That is an option but I'd rather not make it part of my every day routine at this point. In the past we've had noble or noble-ish products that have met all the criteria that I look for in a good kava. I know what you or myself consider quality isn't the same but that's OK. Your drinking style is very different from mine but it's great that it works for you. That's why herbal medicine is so important. With research and experimentation we are not bound to the chains of the medical system and pharmaceuticals that have a long history of failure.

For me the immediate and long term benefits go hand in hand. Anxiety relief, muscle relaxation and deep sleep are what I want and what I used to get with most kava products. By itself drinking every day does not provide these effects and they only last as long as the kavalactones are active. When they end, the benefits end. I'm fine with that, I just want to experience the recreational and medicinal value I did in the past.
Agree! Whatever way works for each person is the right way.

The cost has gotten me too recently. I've been buying Mood and Mind off Amazon as a cheapie alternative. Sometimes I get a great batch and sometimes not. It's so hit or miss.

bogmonkey

Kava? Yes please!
I drink kava exclusively on the weekends...keeps it very affordable.
I usually use 4 rounded tablespoons and two aluballs. It's a stout mix!
Kava does not feel like a drug, it feels natural and in alignment with the universe...and I've done enough drugs that I know that "I'm taking drugs" feeling only too well.
Hell, I'm crosseyed krunk as I'm writing this!
:LOL:::chugger::