What's new

Family Time Means Kava Time

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Sunday night dinner with family. That used to mean a fair quantity of wine to make tolerable. Hoping that kava will render the usual passive aggression, snark, criticism, and general negativity powerless. Even if all it does is turn down the reactive volume in my head, that'll be a win

We'll see
Report back?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
All went fine. Was everybody else just behaving nicely, or was it less reactivity in my own head? Either way, I'll take it.

How much grog to get through the holidays? We shall see!
Life ravels, kava unravels. Also nips things in the bud before snowballs can run downhill. Doesn’t prevent mixed metaphor, tho.

Thanks for checking in. I loves me some happy endings, sure enough and yes I do.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Sunday night dinner with family. That used to mean a fair quantity of wine to make tolerable. Hoping that kava will render the usual passive aggression, snark, criticism, and general negativity powerless. Even if all it does is turn down the reactive volume in my head, that'll be a win

We'll see
Wonderful to read your post! In a Hawai'i of long ago, this was also the case. I have a few good articles to demonstrate that but the best is --
"The historic model presented through oral histories in “Hawaiian ‘Awa Master’s Thesis”* recalls family story telling around the ‘awa bowl “...‘awa’s role in the daily story telling sessions that occurred in the evenings. ‘Awa would be drunk, food would be eaten, and then stories would be told.” Today, “...alcoholic beverages have completely replaced ‘Awa as the traditional drink amongst (many) Hawaiians. Alcohol’s hold over Hawaiian society is so strong that even the resurgence of ‘Awa in mainstream culture has not been due to a resurgence of ‘Awa traditions within families.” Rather it has been facilitated by establishment of ‘awa bars similar in concept to alcohol bars.
*available download at website of 'Awa Development Council

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
I don't even have a tough to deal with family. But years of using alcohol in so many social situations made it either hard work or at best dull when I went in dry . Kava works great in those situations .

Bu-Laa Tribe

Kava Curious
It would be nice if the family would partake as well, but little chance of that. My mom is in poor health, and my sister is on Prozac. And everybody else would probably be totally put off by the taste. Maybe some day.

Bu-Laa Tribe

Kava Curious
Another gathering tonight. Prepping right now with some Aluballed Supreme. Will take along some KWK guava concentrate to mix with mineral water as my libation.