What's new

Kava Culture Famous people drinking kava gallery

verticity

I'm interested in things
I've been wondering about these pictures of QE II. Traditionally in these cultures, women are not allowed to drink kava, especially in a ceremonial setting. In the above clip, the Queen does not appear to really enjoy the experience. She probably didn't ask to drink kava. Instead it looks like the islanders are kind of pushing it on her, and she is politely taking a little sip because it is expected. Is it because she is the head of state, regardless of the fact that she is a woman? Does power override gender here?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I've been wondering about these pictures of QE II. Traditionally in these cultures, women are not allowed to drink kava, especially in a ceremonial setting. In the above clip, the Queen does not appear to really enjoy the experience. She probably didn't ask to drink kava. Instead it looks like the islanders are kind of pushing it on her, and she is politely taking a little sip because it is expected. Is it because she is the head of state, regardless of the fact that she is a woman? Does power override gender here?
It's a spit cup for her chewing tobacco :D

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Kava never featured in Tuvalu culture, probably as it won't grow on a small low lying atoll, so its more likely that she is drinking just coconut water in that picture. There is some kava drinking there now, but its imported.
On your last point though - I was on Aniwa east of Tanna with the New Zealand high commissioner once and when a quick lunchtime shell was suggested by the village cheif, there was no doubt that she was excluded. She started to follow everyone towards the nakamal but was quickly told to go and wait with the women. So no exceptions for dignitaries

verticity

I'm interested in things
Kava never featured in Tuvalu culture, probably as it won't grow on a small low lying atoll, so its more likely that she is drinking just coconut water in that picture. There is some kava drinking there now, but its imported.
On your last point though - I was on Aniwa east of Tanna with the New Zealand high commissioner once and when a quick lunchtime shell was suggested by the village cheif, there was no doubt that she was excluded. She started to follow everyone towards the nakamal but was quickly told to go and wait with the women. So no exceptions for dignitaries
Could be. My only source for the claim that this is kava is this site selling the stamps, which is not exactly authoritative:
https://www.ebid.net/us/for-sale/tu...g-kava-40th-anniv-coronation-mnh-85465086.htm
That doesn't look anything like a formal kava ceremony either.
For what a formal ceremony looks like there are some great pictures from the same place I found the picture of the Thailand PM:
https://www.facebook.com/I-Love-Kava-303686446312432/

Last edited:

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Yup, that's a green coconut she's drinking from. Delicious, but there's no chance there's kava in that.
She's drunk kava every time she's come to Fiji though. Pics and footage can be found with a bit of googling.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things