What's new

Favorite things to combine with kava?

Codar

Hello all, I recently got back into kava and have been loving it. I never tried anything besides micronized before but have been preparing root using the blender method. It has been great, I started drinking much less without even really trying, feel like I sleep better and wake up feeling better, and I absolutely love the blessed out calm, almost meditative feeling I feel when I get just the right amount of kava in me.

Anyway, are there any other herbs or supplements you like to use to enhance or compliment kava? Perhaps when you are low on root, want to feel extra relaxed, or just whatever.

My favorite thing has become smoking CBD flower when I feel the kava. Normally, I don't really feel or notice much at all from it, but with kava I feel incredibly nice and relaxed with it and it reminds me of the old days when I enjoyed regular herb and it worked well for me.

Besides that, so far I have tried taking a dose of valerian root along with my kava and liked that I could actually notice a specific addition of effects and also did not feel like I needed to drink quite as much kava. I have tried skullcap with it as well, but I have not noticed a lot from skullcap before either taking normal doses.

I am curious about trying passionflower with kava and feel they would pair really well but here not long ago, I made a very strong batch of kava, got very krunk, and woke up with one of the worst headaches I've ever had that lasted almost a full 2 days. After much speculation, I came to the conclusion that the large dose of kava, combined with taking rhodiola rosea which I take every week day (but that day took 2-3 doses instead of just one) as well as having taken passionflower earlier in the day may have caused an MAOI related reduction in tyramine tolerance and that is what made the awful headache. I've only had a few headaches in the past similar to this and tyramine was a conclusion I've came to before. I refrained from kava but after day 2 of no relief, I decided to finally try some again and it was actually the only thing that helped fix it. But I've been weary of large doses and tyramine since. However, I think it would be possible to get nice effects from mixing kava and passionflower while still avoiding such a headache.

Anyway, I am rambling like crazy. I assume most people enjoy kava just by itself (which I do too) but if there is anything you like to use to spice it up, let's talk about it! :D

Codar

Oh you mean herbs.
I think passionflower works good, along with ashwaghanda
I do like ashwaghanda. I haven't felt a need for it in a while but occasionally like it for some mood boost. Ashwagandha, kava, and CBD I feel like is the ultimate anxiety cure