What's new

Fed Up Of Drinking Kava.. Can i just Ingest the pure powder ??

keeron

Kava Enthusiast
Hi guys.

I love kava but im having real trouble drinking kava now, i can drink 1 or 2 tiny bowls but after that i start feeling sick, not due to the kava itself, just the taste of the kava when its mixed together with water or any other liquid, i cant stomach it anymore.

I take about 7 different supplements that taste awful and worse than Kava.. e.g Choline, TMG, Glycine, Vitamin B5 powder + more. They are all in powder form and taste awful.
I have found a way to ingest awful tasting powders,
Instead of mixing with water, i just put the powder straight in my mouth and then down with water..

My question is:
Is it safe to just consume pure kava powder without straining ??

Im really getting fed up with the whole straining process and the taste of kava mixed with water or other liquids. So im just going to consume Kava by basically swallowing the powder.. Is this ok??

Cheers.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
IMO Doing what you want to do is, to me, is a modified version of "toss and wash" where people mix the kava powder directly with water then chug it. The two side effects I'm aware of with "toss and wash" are possible upset stomach (including nausea) and possibly a higher chance of getting skin dermopathy. But it's also a more potent way to consume Kava.

If I was going to do it, I would get a "micronized" grind of a Kava to make it easier to swallow. Because Kava is a dry powder you would need to make sure that you mix it with water in your mouth before swallowing. Otherwise you'll end up getting it stuck in your throat and choke or accidentally inhale it into your lungs. Both could have bad effects in itself. I speak from a little experience (sort of). I haven't done this with Kava but do it all the time with Flaxseed meal which is roughly the same consistency as some grinds as Kava. If I don't properly mix the water with the Flaxseed (in my mouth) before swallowing it causes me to gag. If I accidentally breath before mixing with water, I breath it causing me to cough for a few minutes or more.

So I think it's doable, but with lots of care. Start with very small amounts.

keeron

Kava Enthusiast
IMO Doing what you want to do is, to me, is a modified version of "toss and wash" where people mix the kava powder directly with water then chug it. The two side effects I'm aware of with "toss and wash" are possible upset stomach (including nausea) and possibly a higher chance of getting skin dermopathy. But it's also a more potent way to consume Kava.

So I think it's doable, but with lots of care. Start with very small amounts.
Ok, thanks for the quick reply.
Like you said, im going to do it with small amounts.

I just wanted to double check if theirs a health reason why its strained.

But i guess even if we strain it, we still get kava powder seeping through and coming through whatever strainer we use.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
But i guess even if we strain it, we still get kava powder seeping through and coming through whatever strainer we use.
Yes!! @infraredz summed it up really well (just a little while ago in fact)

Sorry I can't figure out how to properly link a single post to you. I'll give it to you after I figure it out.

Last edited:

Akava

Kava Enthusiast
The only time I got dermo was from toss and wash and that was even with micronized powder and scooping out sediment

D

Deactivated Account

Ok, thanks for the quick reply.
Like you said, im going to do it with small amounts.

I just wanted to double check if theirs a health reason why its strained.

Its a solid suspended in a solution no matter how we look at it. No matter how 'clean' you could get kava…if you left it in a tray in the sun for a few days, you would simply get a dried powder left. If we did not get a powder left over then we didnt have kava to begin with.

Your most certainly not alone on the taste believe me, nearly all in this forum would have their moments chugging kava. Even after 15 years i can backfire on the stuff. I have a packet now that is as dusty as hell & is the muddiest kava ive ever had….strong but man alive is it hard going.

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
Its a solid suspended in a solution no matter how we look at it. No matter how 'clean' you could get kava…if you left it in a tray in the sun for a few days, you would simply get a dried powder left. If we did not get a powder left over then we didnt have kava to begin with.

Your most certainly not alone on the taste believe me, nearly all in this forum would have their moments chugging kava. Even after 15 years i can backfire on the stuff. I have a packet now that is as dusty as hell & is the muddiest kava ive ever had….strong but man alive is it hard going.
I just gagged on a shell reading this

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
I have to temper my reading here sometimes, just seeing pictures of shells and reading descriptive reports of kava can cause me to gag, even if I am not drinking kava :bag:
I hear ya !! I haven't ran into too many posts about the delightful taste of kava!

D

Deactivated Account

I have to temper my reading here sometimes, just seeing pictures of shells and reading descriptive reports of kava can cause me to gag, even if I am not drinking kava :bag:
Lol...I'm with you V !

10am here on a hot dog danglin' Sunday & I'm in quiet contemplation of a bowl. It's a head fight.

I keep thinking 'maybe I could do some painting out in the sun covered in flies & sweat instead'

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Here's one my favorite descriptions from a Yelp review:

Truth is -- that kava stuff is kind of vile. Tastes like wet concrete mixed with week-old coffee. But just because kava is in the name and on the menu of this establishment doesn't mean [that you have to drink it].

From same review:

- Kava tastes like the blood of earthworms.