What's new

Feeling Very Bad from Certain Kavas

JohnofGaunt

Kava Curious
Hello,

So it's been about a year since I first discovered Kava. Now I am into a pretty nice routine of drinking Kava every evening. I have between 4-6 tablespoons of Kava mixed in a blender with about 1.5l of water. I then strain out the liquid and drink it with ice.

I have noticed some Kavas leave me feeling really terrible for days afterwards.

For example I have been drinking this one for about a week now: https://kavaeurope.eu/shop/pacific-elixir-traditional-kava/
During the day I feel absolutely terrible. Tired. Sluggish.Dizzy. Unmotivated. It feels like having a mild brain injury and it lasts ALL day.

Is it likely this is caused by the Kava?I noticed in the past Instant Kava would also make me feel like this, so I never touch it anymore. It's hellish how bad I feel the next day from it.

When Kava hits good, I love it, it's such a nice part of my evening routine. But I hate feeling so bad all day. Any suggestions? I have had other Kavas from this company and not had this problem.

I live in Greece in the EU so it's not so common here.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Is it likely this is caused by the Kava?I
It is impossible for anyone to give you real advice because we don't know your history with other drugs, medications, habits, diet, exercise, medical history, genetic conditions, etc., or any other detail then this specific detail about kava. Perhaps examine your lifestyle and find out the reason. More importantly, consult your physician.

There are far more questions and you have not provided enough variables to provide a valuable opinion although I suspect kava is doing something right for you because you mention drinking it for almost one year.

JohnofGaunt

Kava Curious
Yeah basically I have switched to a new kava and it’s not sitting well with me. Worse than alcohol hangover. Anyone else experience this with some kavas? I have 2 bags of the stuff so don’t wanna get rid of it if I don’t need too. Also it’s the only kava I have right now. But I can’t keep feeling so bad

JohnofGaunt

Kava Curious
I drink a Powerade half before and half after it definitively helps. I think this kava is just very strong and I’m having too much right before bed. So I’m trying just 4 tablespoons and a few hours before sleep

OzKava

The wonderful kava of Oz
Kava Vendor
Australian Importer
Try a different prep method, either traditional or shaker bottle. The blender can cut the kava to something closer to micronised which might explain the effect it is having. You could also reduce the number of tablespoons a little as an experiment.

mlenny

Kava Curious
Hello,

So it's been about a year since I first discovered Kava. Now I am into a pretty nice routine of drinking Kava every evening. I have between 4-6 tablespoons of Kava mixed in a blender with about 1.5l of water. I then strain out the liquid and drink it with ice.

I have noticed some Kavas leave me feeling really terrible for days afterwards.

For example I have been drinking this one for about a week now: https://kavaeurope.eu/shop/pacific-elixir-traditional-kava/
During the day I feel absolutely terrible. Tired. Sluggish.Dizzy. Unmotivated. It feels like having a mild brain injury and it lasts ALL day.

Is it likely this is caused by the Kava?I noticed in the past Instant Kava would also make me feel like this, so I never touch it anymore. It's hellish how bad I feel the next day from it.

When Kava hits good, I love it, it's such a nice part of my evening routine. But I hate feeling so bad all day. Any suggestions? I have had other Kavas from this company and not had this problem.

I live in Greece in the EU so it's not so common here.
It's impossible for me to know, but are you sure it isn't possibly Tudei? That would explain it.

JohnofGaunt

Kava Curious
It's impossible for me to know, but are you sure it isn't possibly Tudei? That would explain it.
That could be it. The website doesn’t say what it is. It’s weird normally I feel fine but this batch is killing be. Think I’ll search for 100% noble. Thank you

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
We can 100% guarantee this is a noble kava blend. It's strong and has heavier varieties but 100% noble.

My advice would be to:
-prepare it the tradition way and make sure you finish your session at least 2h before going to bed.
-use apx 35g to 700ml of water per session. You can adjust it as per preference but this is a good starting ratio.
-make sure you strain it correctly.
-use cool/lukewarm water.

Its possible the blend doesnt sit well with you. For a more uplifting, faster and shorter acting experience, I recommend Kelai, Palarasul, Bir Kar varieties (we stock all here in New Zealand, our European partner only offers Bir Kar out of those IRRC)

L

LizAnn

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for me to be in but I have noticed that when I was drinking Kava initially it was a really lovely experience I felt so relaxed with Melo Melo in the summer but when I bought more in the colder months it felt like the Kava had become deactivated and no matter what I did to ' warm ' it absolutely no effect was felt
It was a waste of time and money and yes I felt rather upset in the stomach and had the ' runs ' so I'm just quite puzzled and disappointed by all of this and find Chamomile tea had y much more effect!
I thought kava had reverse tolerance which in my experience I have found out not to be true in my case

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Kava doesn't become activated or deactivated I'm not sure where you read that but that's not a thing. Kava is not for everybody and I'm happy that you found something that works for you!

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
agreed, try skipping the blender and use a 75 micron bag. blender method/inadequate straining always makes me feel awful.
To me I found a middle way! Low speed - I had also gut and bowel problems. But I fought different fights, and since I changed my diet and other things, it wasn't just the kava. But I normally use my blender on low (3 different speeds) and it also plays a role in all this. It is also nice for the neighbors...

JohnofGaunt

Kava Curious
To me I found a middle way! Low speed - I had also gut and bowel problems. But I fought different fights, and since I changed my diet and other things, it wasn't just the kava. But I normally use my blender on low (3 different speeds) and it also plays a role in all this. It is also nice for the neighbors...
yup same, I was doing high speed but switching to low and straining with a proper bag was a game changer for me

Reactions: Pzk

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Hmmmm.... I have electrolyte drops because of my keto diet and tried carnivore also. I have such a nice heavy kava (Mighty roots) I didn't touch anymore because of hangover and stuff.... perhaps I should give it a new try just force myself to drink lots of water with enough electrolyte drops...

If this doesn't work for me, sadly I have to leave mighty roots alone.....