What's new

Finding the sweet spot...

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Ehhh I'm not really sure what I'm looking for here. Advice? Maybe just sharing the learning curve? (always have a learning curve when I switch a batch, but what I learn is rarely applicable to the next time!)

I've gone through 8oz in the last week of KWK Loa Waka micro after switching from lat root KK. I don't feel like I'm through RT yet...having effects but that kinda 'watching yourself have effects', not the being-one-with-the-kava (not talking krunk, just finding the groove). It is a very fine line between feeling anything and intense nausea, as well. I had the Loa Waka micro a few years ago and it was a good match for me, I didn't need much either, only about a tbsp...this batch isn't talking to me...yet. I'm taking up to 4tbsp at a time, on an empty stomach, and aside from some impressive nausea I've not had much in the way of benefits.
couple o questions...what's your opinion on breaking through RT (assuming you believe in RT at all--I sure do, having gone through this a few times with same strains, same prep)? is it quantity consumed or does timeframe play a role as well? Last time with this kava I took 8oz over 4 weeks and I was through (naturally, batch discrepancies could play a role here, too). Should I pull back on the amount while I wait for my body to catch up? Just wanna maximize the good stuff I've got before returning to my makatastic brew...
(a side note: my dermo has really cleared up since I started the KWK. could be in part the supplements I'm taking, but good to observe nonetheless...)

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Ehhh I'm not really sure what I'm looking for here. Advice? Maybe just sharing the learning curve? (always have a learning curve when I switch a batch, but what I learn is rarely applicable to the next time!)

I've gone through 8oz in the last week of KWK Loa Waka micro after switching from lat root KK. I don't feel like I'm through RT yet...having effects but that kinda 'watching yourself have effects', not the being-one-with-the-kava (not talking krunk, just finding the groove). It is a very fine line between feeling anything and intense nausea, as well. I had the Loa Waka micro a few years ago and it was a good match for me, I didn't need much either, only about a tbsp...this batch isn't talking to me...yet. I'm taking up to 4tbsp at a time, on an empty stomach, and aside from some impressive nausea I've not had much in the way of benefits.
couple o questions...what's your opinion on breaking through RT (assuming you believe in RT at all--I sure do, having gone through this a few times with same strains, same prep)? is it quantity consumed or does timeframe play a role as well? Last time with this kava I took 8oz over 4 weeks and I was through (naturally, batch discrepancies could play a role here, too). Should I pull back on the amount while I wait for my body to catch up? Just wanna maximize the good stuff I've got before returning to my makatastic brew...
(a side note: my dermo has really cleared up since I started the KWK. could be in part the supplements I'm taking, but good to observe nonetheless...)
For my case only, when it is “not happening for me” it is directly attributable to my attitude at the time. Given the right circumstances, my attitude could zap the life out of even the best kavas. OTOH, with the right attitude, I can tweak some major euphorias out of even medioce kava (because KAVA IS GOOD). So I try to work on my attitude. But as I say, this is probably just me. Also I have worked with computers and software long enough to notice the problem is usually in the chair.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
For my case only, when it is “not happening for me” it is directly attributable to my attitude at the time. Given the right circumstances, my attitude could zap the life out of even the best kavas. OTOH, with the right attitude, I can tweak some major euphorias out of even medioce kava (because KAVA IS GOOD). So I try to work on my attitude. But as I say, this is probably just me. Also I have worked with computers and software long enough to notice the problem is usually in the chair.
I'm usually the first to assume user error...only it's a known parameter that the effects bunk off when I switch strains. I expected my RT to be over at the end of that 8oz, so I don't think my expectations are interfering...perhaps some more complex brain variables...
thanks for chiming in KmK x

Last edited:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I’m not experienced in RT, but maybe just do whatever you feel it would take to learn the strain? Either up the dosage or give it time, just do the one you feel would be best for you to adapt to it.

When I try a new kava, I go balls to the wall with it even though that method isn’t recommended. The reason I do this is because I want to figure out all the levels of that kava right away so I can then have a good idea of dose and timing the next day.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Well, I doubled my dose the last two days and that's about all I can stomach without hurling. Now rather than feeling some nice effects, I'm feeling nothing at all, and have gone through a helluva lot of micro to boot. gaaah back to a couple tablespoons and hoping.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Well, I doubled my dose the last two days and that's about all I can stomach without hurling. Now rather than feeling some nice effects, I'm feeling nothing at all, and have gone through a helluva lot of micro to boot. gaaah back to a couple tablespoons and hoping.
I've had a lot of kava over the past couple of years that has been very mildly effective. I can drink these weak batches until I'm bloated and nauseated and give up after only feeling the faintest of effects. If you want to stick with micro, the 11 year from BKH is a potent one.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Update: have now gone through more than 24oz. Have tried up to 6tbsp per chug (barf). With that dose I get about 10 mins where it feels like the effects are coming on, then it goes away. A reminder not to buy huge quantities of a single kava, even if it's worked for you before. Damn. I'm putting this one aside and hoping my body is better synced to it down the track.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Update: have now gone through more than 24oz. Have tried up to 6tbsp per chug (barf). With that dose I get about 10 mins where it feels like the effects are coming on, then it goes away. A reminder not to buy huge quantities of a single kava, even if it's worked for you before. Damn. I'm putting this one aside and hoping my body is better synced to it down the track.
yeah, not a problem, just set it aside for a while and come back to it later.

I think some kavas are more prone to that effect than others. e.g. To get the full euphoria from TFR I try to wait at least a month between but Squanch is Squanch every single time I have ever had it, without fail, and that is many many times, probably coming up to a hundred. Also, if I drink the blend of TFR : Squanch it is always the same good effects. It's just TFR on its own I have to stretch out the time between sessions. Plenty of other kava for me to drink during the wait so that is not a problem. Because I have a lot of different types of kava in the pantry, I can get a small amount and it stays in rotation for a long time before it is gone, just because there's so many others.