What's new

Finest grind?

tribal1209

Kava Enthusiast
Out of KWK, GHK, and BKH
Who has the finest ground (medium grind) kava.

Basically trying to stretch my dollar a little further. Which of these vendors (or perhaps which kava specifically) has the finest grind if them all.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I only have experience with GHK and BKH and overall BKH grind is finer and more uniform than GHK but it don't think it made a bit of difference in the strength or prep of either. I will mention that with GHK I got about the same results from either traditional bag prep or the aluball but for some reason it seemed like the BKH kavas did much better with traditional bag prep. For the same #of TBS I got a much stronger brew with traditional bag prep of the BKH than shaking away...it is likely just the difference in strains and not the grind.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Does the grind make that much difference to the strength? KWK Borogu used to be more or less root pieces with hardly any powder at all and that did the job nicely.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Does the grind make that much difference to the strength? KWK Borogu used to be more or less root pieces with hardly any powder at all and that did the job nicely.
That's a fair point, the grind and potency are two different things; I have tried most of the top seller's kavas and Squanch is superior in strength and amount of washes (BKH is a close second), whether it is traditionally prepped or shaken with the aluball. And yes it's noble.

I would describe his grind as medium-fine.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
I have to say the finest ground I've found excluding micros are Kava Kauwai's grinds. I just had one rounded Tbsp. a little over half a cup of cold
water the kava for tonight is 5 Star. Blended (30 to 40secs) and gulped It is very pricey but at 2 Tbsp.s a night .... well even a little 40 dollar half pound
lasts almost a full month. I've had one and I may have another buy in these lower doses without straining the 5 star can be surprisingly heady and without
straining the effects really stick around much longer maybe in a couple of hours I'll know more but I am thoroughly enjoying this single tbsp, very strong
finely groud kava

Zaphod

Kava Lover
With the way I do traditional prep I don't think it does. Using the kavafied bag I add really hot tap water and pound the root with the end of my long handled scoop to break the cell walls. Then I knead it, but most of the work is already done by pounding in the root. This gives me the strongest brew so far. However, my aluball does seem to make a difference, and strangely enough, it is the opposite of what you would think. The finer more uniform grind of BKH kava seemed to do worse in the aluball versus my traditional prep method where GHKs less uniform and bigger grind seemed to do worse than traditional prep. Again I have no idea if this is grind related or just the strains.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I notice a serious correlation between how much sediment gets into the brew, and how hard it hits you.
This is true for me too although I always strain with the same strainer at the end no matter what method I use so I always get a uniform amount of sediment. More leads to more nausea.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/29/health/29real.html
THE FACTS

The claim has the ring of a myth. But environmental scientists say it is real.

The reason is that hot water dissolves contaminants more quickly than cold water, and many pipes in homes contain lead that can leach into water. And lead can damage the brain and nervous system, especially in young children.

Photo

CreditLeif Parsons
Lead is rarely found in source water, but can enter it through corroded plumbing. The Environmental Protection Agency says that older homes are more likely to have lead pipes and fixtures, but that even newer plumbing advertised as “lead-free” can still contain as much as 8 percent lead. A study published in The Journal of Environmental Health in 2002 found that tap water represented 14 to 20 percent of total lead exposure.

Scientists emphasize that the risk is small. But to minimize it, the E.P.A. says cold tap water should always be used for preparing baby formula, cooking and drinking. It also warns that boiling water does not remove lead but can actually increase its concentration. More information is at www.epa.gov/lead or (800) 424-5323 (LEAD).

THE BOTTOM LINE

Hot water from the tap should never be used for cooking or drinking.

[email protected]

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Please keep the hippie Gluten free Red Scares out of my thread.
It was requested so I obliged .
If hot tap water doesn't hold more dissolved solids there would be no reason to use heated water in the first place. No Red scare just simple science.