What's new

first bout with the dreaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
kava dermopathy! Been hitting the kava hard just lately so paying the price! Fortunately its around my stomach so no-one can see it. Wow, its ugly stuff. Will definitely have to cancel the acupuncture session! So bye bye kava for a while - and just when Id ordered some 'Eua from BKH!
I've got the Amlactin so started with that.
Just wondered if anyone else who's had the rash, got little red itchy spots too? Got them around my front and back so I have to be careful I don't get the amlactin on those in case I scratch them and make them bleed.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yes, whatever you do don't let the amlactin touch the red lines. It's a new level of pain. I remember seeing really bright lights, and hearing someone yelling obscenities in the background the last time I did that. On second thought, it was me yelling the obscenities.

Rick.Sanchez

Kava Enthusiast
kava dermopathy! Been hitting the kava hard just lately so paying the price! Fortunately its around my stomach so no-one can see it. Wow, its ugly stuff. Will definitely have to cancel the acupuncture session! So bye bye kava for a while - and just when Id ordered some 'Eua from BKH!
I've got the Amlactin so started with that.
Just wondered if anyone else who's had the rash, got little red itchy spots too? Got them around my front and back so I have to be careful I don't get the amlactin on those in case I scratch them and make them bleed.
Got some small spots on my stomache months ago. They never spread or got noticeably worse despite my continued krunkedness. Hopefully that doesn't change. Switching from a water + milk prep to just using water seemed to make the itchiness go away

Last edited:

schatz

itchin for kava
Me too, taking a couple weeks off and see if it goes away. Just ordered 2 more pound of the Fu'u from BKH but I better take a break. Been drinking kava without a break for a year this month and been watching the little red pimple dots on my left inner elbow, now within the past week or so I had them on my back and left side, is this what you guys are getting? I figured it was from my chinese herbals that my doc gave me, but I think it is kava dermo, so will take a two week break.Very itchy also. Good luck.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Me too, taking a couple weeks off and see if it goes away. Just ordered 2 more pound of the Fu'u from BKH but I better take a break. Been drinking kava without a break for a year this month and been watching the little red pimple dots on my left inner elbow, now within the past week or so I had them on my back and left side, is this what you guys are getting? I figured it was from my chinese herbals that my doc gave me, but I think it is kava dermo, so will take a two week break.Very itchy also. Good luck.
I started off with the itchy red spots - kinda like large acne on my lower chest and back - thought it was from mucinex but obviously not. Then I got the white scaly-type rash and dry flakey skin, and this was on my lower stomach and upper thighs. I've been drinking kava regularly for about a year but only in small amounts, upped my intake about 3 months ago because anxiety was flaring again. Definitely helped with the anxiety, but I don't want to get health anxiety from the two rashes, so will definitely wait until both have disappeared! Good luck to you too!

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Wow this sounds awful compared to what I usually hear about dermo, which sounds like a few flakes and a bit of itchy and dry skin. Thankfully the only real skin problem I've had since I started kava daily is just having totally dry hands. Nothing wrong with it really, in fact I'm used to having sweaty hands all the time which has caused me a lot of anxiety over the years. Now they are dry it feels weird because they are less sensitive to textures I touch and if I put them in my pockets there's this zippy feeling that makes me cringe like the feeling of tent material getting rubbed, kinda like the chalkboard cringing feeling.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Wow this sounds awful compared to what I usually hear about dermo, which sounds like a few flakes and a bit of itchy and dry skin. Thankfully the only real skin problem I've had since I started kava daily is just having totally dry hands. Nothing wrong with it really, in fact I'm used to having sweaty hands all the time which has caused me a lot of anxiety over the years. Now they are dry it feels weird because they are less sensitive to textures I touch and if I put them in my pockets there's this zippy feeling that makes me cringe like the feeling of tent material getting rubbed, kinda like the chalkboard cringing feeling.
The worst, microfiber towels. A kava drinkers worst enemy...if you have texture aversions like me.

Specifically this
micro.jpg

schatz

itchin for kava
I started off with the itchy red spots - kinda like large acne on my lower chest and back - thought it was from mucinex but obviously not. Then I got the white scaly-type rash and dry flakey skin, and this was on my lower stomach and upper thighs. I've been drinking kava regularly for about a year but only in small amounts, upped my intake about 3 months ago because anxiety was flaring again. Definitely helped with the anxiety, but I don't want to get health anxiety from the two rashes, so will definitely wait until both have disappeared! Good luck to you too!
Any luck yet? I wonder if just cutting back to every other night might help after I have taken aweek off. Even if symptoms have not totally cleared for me. Thanks and good luck to you also.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
The dermo has gone - yay for Amlactin! Not had kava for four days now. But the red spots are still around. Maybe they are from a different irritant that I've yet to figure out, but for two of us to have the same reaction makes kava a possibility. BUT the spots seem to be an almost unheard of kava reaction. I wonder if its not due to something else, that it may be due to a particular cultivar? Ive been having mainly SavaSavu and Vanuatu Select, in larger amounts than normal for me.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
oh, just thought - my husband insisted my organic washing machine detergent was not doing a good enough job on his clothes (i only see him once a week and he complains about his friggin clothes) so bought me stuff from Costco. So I've been using that because I'm not washing two loads of clothes. That could be one possibility. I'm going back to my Zum soap organic - even if it costs a fortune.

mzii

Kava Curious
I also get red itchy spots when I overdo kava. But mine typically only show up the night I'm drinking kava and are gone by the next day.

schatz

itchin for kava
I also get red itchy spots when I overdo kava. But mine typically only show up the night I'm drinking kava and are gone by the next day.
How much kava are you consuming, I was a daily or evening consumer.

schatz

itchin for kava
oh, just thought - my husband insisted my organic washing machine detergent was not doing a good enough job on his clothes (i only see him once a week and he complains about his friggin clothes) so bought me stuff from Costco. So I've been using that because I'm not washing two loads of clothes. That could be one possibility. I'm going back to my Zum soap organic - even if it costs a fortune.
I have been using Borogu from Vanatua and F'uu from Tonga mostly with some Lami from Fiji or stone thrown in. I seem to prefer heady kavas more than heavy. I have also had a reaction to laundry detergent, back when I was younger and just starting out on my own in life, I let my mother do laundry for me, and she used Tide and really broke me out in the hives. So I am pretty sure it is not detergent, lotion,body soap or anything of that nature since nothing has changed. I have been seeing an herbalist in chinese medicine since my self medicating with herbs was not helping with adrenal issue that I have had and soon after I started to get the little red itchy bumps around all my lymph node areas. Since then it has gone to other areas and now am really curious if kava is the cause or my herbs, so I kind of have to abstain from kava to really find out, sucks though.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Have you tried regular ingestion of coconut oil? I use capsules and despite frequent and heavy kava use I rarely get worse than dry hands and the odd bit of itchiness.

mzii

Kava Curious
How much kava are you consuming, I was a daily or evening consumer.
About 60 grams a day (6 slightly heaped table spoons). If I stay at this consumption level for too long without taking breaks or cutting back I start to get the red itchy spots and other things like a red face and trouble sleeping even. The kava seems to build up in my system too much and cause problems. I wonder if I might even have a slight allergy to it? Although I don't have these issues with lower consumption or if I cycle my usage..

schatz

itchin for kava
Have you tried regular ingestion of coconut oil? I use capsules and despite frequent and heavy kava use I rarely get worse than dry hands and the odd bit of itchiness.
I drink a quart of coconut water when I do a traditional, and take about 2 Tbs. of coconut oil in my mouth when I do the Alubal, which has been most of the time the last 6 months. Maybe I should go back to mostly traditional in the future. Do you prep traditionally mostly or Alubal it?

schatz

itchin for kava
About 60 grams a day (6 slightly heaped table spoons). If I stay at this consumption level for too long without taking breaks or cutting back I start to get the red itchy spots and other things like a red face and trouble sleeping even. The kava seems to build up in my system too much and cause problems. I wonder if I might even have a slight allergy to it? Although I don't have these issues with lower consumption or if I cycle my usage..
Is that traditional or Aluballin, I am thinking traditional but had to ask. I think I am using 4-5 tablespoons normally everynight mostly Aluballin.

mzii

Kava Curious
Is that traditional or Aluballin, I am thinking traditional but had to ask. I think I am using 4-5 tablespoons normally everynight mostly Aluballin.
Used to be traditional but lately I've been aluballing, doesn't seem to make a difference in my symptoms unfortunately

schatz

itchin for kava
How many cups of the Aluball are you drinking to get in six tablespoons? are you using two Alubal in the one shaker cup? I have been doing a single ball and drinking about 3 first washes and three second washes so six altogether and dont seem to get as dehydrated as traditional since I am drinkinking so much water, 6 x 400ml.
where with traditonal I only drink about 700 ml.

Status
Not open for further replies.