What's new

first bout with the dreaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zentri

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe the sediment is the problem, makes sense. And I have been Aluballin alot, its just so damned easy,i guess I will stick with 80 micron traditonal prep just to be on the safe side. Thanks Edward.
The Aluball claims to be 75 microns and so is their strainer bag. Both allow a lot of sediment .. I've never seen a bag advertised as lower.

schatz

itchin for kava
The Aluball claims to be 75 microns and so is their strainer bag. Both allow a lot of sediment .. I've never seen a bag advertised as lower.
Did not remember that, it really captures alot in a second filtering with the Cactus filter even though it is the same microns, I dont squeeze and manipulate it as much thus the better filtering.

Zentri

Kava Enthusiast
Did not remember that, it really captures alot in a second filtering with the Cactus filter even though it is the same microns, I dont squeeze and manipulate it as much thus the better filtering.
The Aluball captures a lot? Sorry I'm confused.

I own the Aluball and the Kavafied Strainer Bag and I mostly use the strainer bag because I'm able to literally knead the kava with my fingers and really rub it up against itself and I get way more sediment that way compared to using the Aluball. Seems like a stronger drink to me.

I even use it for a second batch and still able to get something out (not much, I generally add fresh kava too, but I still see some sediment and oils come out)

If I don't knead the strainer bag and just kinda push the kava around in there and strain, I still get a good amount of sediment and probably still even more than the Aluball .. but I'm not completely sure.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
It was amazing how much sediment was left in the strainer bag after Aluballin. Is the Eua a heady kava?
Can't wait to try this method but am still holding out until my skin clears! And to me the 'Eua from kavafied was balanced to heavy. Very anxiety and muscle tension relieving but with minimal sedation. I could drink it and still work.

schatz

itchin for kava
Can't wait to try this method but am still holding out until my skin clears! And to me the 'Eua from kavafied was balanced to heavy. Very anxiety and muscle tension relieving but with minimal sedation. I could drink it and still work.
Thank you, good to know and keep us informed. I just ordered a couple pounds of Borogu, and will have to wait, but if the E'ua is amazing I may have to splurge.

schatz

itchin for kava
The Aluball captures a lot? Sorry I'm confused.

I own the Aluball and the Kavafied Strainer Bag and I mostly use the strainer bag because I'm able to literally knead the kava with my fingers and really rub it up against itself and I get way more sediment that way compared to using the Aluball. Seems like a stronger drink to me.

I even use it for a second batch and still able to get something out (not much, I generally add fresh kava too, but I still see some sediment and oils come out)

If I don't knead the strainer bag and just kinda push the kava around in there and strain, I still get a good amount of sediment and probably still even more than the Aluball .. but I'm not completely sure.
I am just saying for those of us suffering from whats called dermo or other symptoms of maybe overdoing it I find pouring my kava after Aluballin it through another filter without kneading it and drinking less sediment it seems to help. Not as good of effects, but better than nothing.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I thought the Cactus Kava strainer was 85? Either way I think maybe the aluball let's through more sediment just because of the action of the shaking. I used to drink kava just strained through a single knee high, oof, that was potent but gave me more nausea than I get now. It's a trade off.

Zentri

Kava Enthusiast
I thought the Cactus Kava strainer was 85? Either way I think maybe the aluball let's through more sediment just because of the action of the shaking. I used to drink kava just strained through a single knee high, oof, that was potent but gave me more nausea than I get now. It's a trade off.
With the way I knead my kava in the Kavafied bag there is no way in hell the Aluball lets through more sediment lol. That seems to be what makes the kava strong to me so I drink it ..

I don't really get nausea at all, I get bloated feeling from all the liquid and maybe the sediment, but as soon as I started making my kava stronger and with less liquid I started feeling less bloated.

I literally "chase" all the kava into the "corner" of the bag and hold it there with my left hand and then use my right hand to knead the hell out of it and I swish it around and change the positioning of the kava in the bag and wring the bag out and repeat this a few times. I'm basically kneading it and grinding the fibers up against eachother so more kavalactones are released because at this point basically all the smaller particles have already left the bag and if you look inside it all you see is actual larger fibrous root material.

It makes the darkest thickest kava drink I've had yet but still nothing like "mud" or "sludge" that some people refer to. I'd say it's about as thick as whole milk.

Also I said the Kavafied bag is 75 micron because that's what their Amazon listing for it says.

schatz

itchin for kava
I am not sure about the microns, I just know for some reason I have become sensitive to the root sediment so trying to avoid it. Its strange because I have always been one of those people that has never been allergic to any thing I am aware of and can and do eat anything. Last night I even strained my traditionally strained kava a second time through my Wakacon strainer just letting it drip through and then drank. Good results were obtained and my itchiness and bumps are almost gone, I only used 5 Tbs. last night and had a mellow krunk going on and really enjoyed. So I think drinking through it but really straining is helping.I also am using Borogu and put the F'uu in the pantry for now, when all itchiness and bump are gone I will revisit my F'uu and see if they return. That would be abummer but may only be able to drink it once in a while for atreat.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Well, yesterday I caved in and although the spots are still around (minus the itchiness), I tried some of the "Eua. Funny though, I don't think I was in the right frame of mind to drink kava. I think I was just too anxious about how it would affect me, and sadly:cry:, I didn't like it at all! I didn't get past one small shell! Just the taste, that I usually quite enjoy, made me feel nauseous. I can't say that this is due to this particular 'Eua - I think its more to do with my mind-state. So - going to give it another week or two or until the rash has completely gone, and try again. So if I'm not around, its because I don't want to read how everyone is having such a good time drinking their kava!!
I'll be back!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I am not sure about the microns, I just know for some reason I have become sensitive to the root sediment so trying to avoid it. Its strange because I have always been one of those people that has never been allergic to any thing I am aware of and can and do eat anything. Last night I even strained my traditionally strained kava a second time through my Wakacon strainer just letting it drip through and then drank. Good results were obtained and my itchiness and bumps are almost gone, I only used 5 Tbs. last night and had a mellow krunk going on and really enjoyed. So I think drinking through it but really straining is helping.I also am using Borogu and put the F'uu in the pantry for now, when all itchiness and bump are gone I will revisit my F'uu and see if they return. That would be abummer but may only be able to drink it once in a while for atreat.
Yes, I started to realise that some of the negative effects I was getting were due to the sediment and that if I used more root but strained better I could avoid the downsides but still get a good feeling.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Good news for me - my red spotty rash is vastly improved so you can all raise a bilo of kava to ME today! :meh:;). I'm babysitting adorable little 11 month old grandson today and I will undoubtedly be ready for a nice shell or two tonight! Because he's not only adorable, he's a bundle of mischievous energy.
Going to take it slow and easy though so will be breaking open the Mahakea micronized and see what happens.
Wish me luck!

schatz

itchin for kava
Good news for me - my red spotty rash is vastly improved so you can all raise a bilo of kava to ME today! :meh:;). I'm babysitting adorable little 11 month old grandson today and I will undoubtedly be ready for a nice shell or two tonight! Because he's not only adorable, he's a bundle of mischievous energy.
Going to take it slow and easy though so will be breaking open the Mahakea micronized and see what happens.
Wish me luck!
Enjoy kilakila, and good nerws. Mine went away, drank through it all week doing only Borogu with traditional prep and not drinking sediment at bottom of shell. Tonight I will revisit F'uu and traditionally prepare and drink the same and see if symptoms return.If they do not return I will try the Borogu with Aluball prep again and see if that brings on the rash again, if so its not the F'uu but too much sediment I am thinking.Enjoy your grandson.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Just put the little monkey down for a nap! A shell of kava would go down nicely now. But I have nothing with me! Enjoy your Friday kava session!

S

Summer

I have tried many kavas and had my share of various breakouts and reactions, but now I only drink Hawaiian kava and basically only get minor dry skin. I traditionally prep, and strain about three times through a single nylon. I used to strain more but I found what amount I can drink with good effects and little-to-no adverse reactions. I drink kava everyday.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
I have tried many kavas and had my share of various breakouts and reactions, but now I only drink Hawaiian kava and basically only get minor dry skin. I traditionally prep, and strain about three times through a single nylon. I used to strain more but I found what amount I can drink with good effects and little-to-no adverse reactions. I drink kava everyday.
Yup, for now I'm sticking to the Hawaiian kavas!

schatz

itchin for kava
I dont think my itchy rash is caused by any particular strain anymore. I have been drinking through it for over a week and it has all buy dissapeared. For me The Alu ball method allows to much sediment through the screens and will affect me if I use too much. I have been using the Aluball method almost exclusively for the last six months, and I guess I was overdoing it. It is just so easy and makes it hard to go back to doing it traditionally but I guess you just have to have respect for kava and spend more time in preparing in anticipation of good moments. I think Aluballin will be used every now and the for me from now on, moderation seems to be true for everything I do. Thanks for this thread, really helped me figure things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.