What's new

First experiences - a report

45rpm

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I thought I would share my experiences over the first 10 days with Kava. I'm a bit 'relaxed' right now, but I will do my best to give you an idea of my experience, in hopes that it will give new folks an idea of what it's like to start up using kava.

I decided to try kava as I lost my career, and I've settled into a much different, not-so-challenging position where I'm not feeling 100% myself. I wouldn't say that I'm mega-depressed, but there is definitely a slow burn, bummed out feeling on a daily basis. After doing a bunch of research, it sounded like kava might do the trick.

Day 1:
I have received my first package from BKH. 1 50g tin of instant green and 1/4 kilo of melomelo. I planned on waiting to try it, since I had just eaten, and wanted to wait for the weekend.

...eh, let's see what this stuff tastes like. I take 3 teaspoons of the instant into a shell. Since I don't have a standard emulsifier on hand, I also mix in my combination powder that I use for my green smoothies in the morning, which consists of flax seed, chia seed and cacao nibs. 8oz of water, and down the hatch. It doesn't taste as bad as I thought it would. I lay about and watch TV for a bit, but no noticeable effects. I have expected this. Before I go to bed, I order a pound of soy lethicin from amazon. Gotta love prime.

Day 2: Today I had a green smoothie for lunch as usual, but no dinner, and when I get home from work, I have another go at the instant. I add an additional spoonful and felt the first effects of the kava a few short minutes after ingesting. A little light headedness, some tingling in my limbs. Pleasant enough, but not fully relaxing. But, it was kinda like that dandruff commercial, you feel that tingling? Yeah, that means it's working.

Day 3: I don't have much instant left at this point, so I decide my hand at making some root powder. I use 4 tablespoons of melomelo and 2 cups of water. Fujian strainer, big bowl, got my soy lethicin from amazon, toss that in there too. Knead for a good 20 minutes, and then put into mason jar. I think I yielded about 1.5 cups of liquid. For the hell of it, I tossed the rest of my instant in the jar, gave it a shake, and put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Slammed two shells of this, and this is by far the greatest effects I've felt. My limbs go heavy, and my head and face tingle. Content to listen to records in my collection that I haven't pulled out in ages. Nice, mild effects for the next 3 hours. I don't usually have a hard time sleeping, but this night I had an incredibly excellent sleep. Woke up feeling fantastic after about 7 hours. The good feelings lasted through the day.

Day 4: Today I tried the blender method, sorta. 6 spoons in the nutrabullet with 1.5 cups of water for about a minute, then kneaded it in the strainer cloth with soy lethicin. Back to the freezer, then to the skull. Best hit yet. Great relaxation, euphoria and some crazy vivid dreams about fresh baked pizza. This was my first experience with mild nausea, not too bad, just a little uncomfortable in the stomach. Slight headache in the top of the head, but oddly enough, I didn't really care, or it didn't bother me. I'm experiencing a pinch of the headache now.

I took the next couple days off, as the idea of drinking kava made me feel sick. The taste doesn't really bother me, so I can't explain it. I also order a 1/2 kilo more of melomelo and a 1/4 kilo of Nambawan.

Day 7: my next attempt, I take the same six spoons, but this time put it right into the mason jar, and shake for about 5 minutes, then on to the strain and knead. This was equally as strong as the blender, and is now my preferred method of extraction. Simple, and less mess.

Day 8: See day 7. It's all good!

Day 9: Surprise package from my brother. PK's Honey Lemon extract. Nice, mild relaxing effects. I decide to take a small ball at work the next day, and it makes for a super relaxing but productive day at work. It allows me to find a little meaning to work, and I'm digging it.

Day 10: Got my new shipment from BKH. I decide to wait until the weekend to try the Nambawan. Tonight I mix about 10 tablespoons with 2 cups water using the shake and knead method. Tonight is the strongest effects I've felt...to the point where I don't think I'd need anything stronger. Digging the sounds of my stereo, very relaxed, nice euphoric feeling. It's coming and going in waves and I'm about an hour after my first shell. Dry mouth, heavy eyes and a little bit of itch in the face. It's cold out tonight, and I'm thankful to have heat. The dog is about as mellow as I am, and when I took her out briefly, it was a nice contrast having the cold air experience.

This brings me to now. Kava has exceeded my expectations. I'm looking forward to experimenting with different types, and learning more as time goes on. Thanks to everyone posting on here to get me on the right track. With that being said, liven it up in here! There aren't many good places to get information on this root.