What's new

First incident of vomiting on kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
I had a conversation with the toilet last night too. Was drinking some waka, and went too fast too hard. Woke up at 2am. no fun.

Too much DHM in PK fijian?

brett123

Kava Curious
@Blomdor No worries, I hope you weren't sick for too long. I've underestimated my kava in the past to the point of getting sick, nausea always disappeared after the upchuck though. I am still real susceptible to kava nausea, benadryl taken about a half hour before kava has been preventing it, but seriously increases the sedative effects. Now when I prep my kava, I always mix the second wash in with the first, take smaller shells than before, and space them apart about 30-40 minutes. No more surprises, and my sessions are a lot more relaxing now.

The gritty black stuff at the bottom of your grog is probably "sand," little bits of root bark that got ground in with the rest of the root. I mostly drink Boroguru and always have the sand in my cup/bowl.
the sand found in the bottom of kava bowl is pay dirt and gold rich save it up then pan for gold ;)

Blomdor

Envoy of the Dealfish
: P But I likes to drink it. Wah!

Sorry to hear that, Skywalker (fellow Star Wars fan here, BTW! May the Force be with ye and remember that ye must learn control!). Nausea has become a fairly consistent guest of mine during my evening kava sessions, but it's generally quite mild. I'm drinking BKH's Fijian Waka now, myself, and it is usually not too difficult for me to stomach. Last night, coincidentally, I, too, underestimated waka and used a large dose of one part kava to two parts water, which ended up literally landing me sunk in the recliner for about an hour before I felt like getting up and doing anything. Major nausea involved in that one...my vision could barely focus.

Tonight's bowl wasn't as strong, and I was not expecting to be floored or anything, but it's successfully made my ears ring a bit and my vision a little blurred. Don't underestimate the waka.

I don't suppose I'm the only one that sometimes experiences dizziness and mildly blurred vision after drinking kava. Perhaps it is a sign that I am making it too strong. I wouldn't really mind it if it weren't for its exacerbation of the nausea...

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
I had a conversation with the toilet last night too. Was drinking some waka, and went too fast too hard. Woke up at 2am. no fun.

Too much DHM in PK fijian?
Not to be messed with this pk Fijian !! I've had some near chucks with this stuff ..I''ve found less is more with this root ..I mix more water and just drink less potent shells. I found it easier to gauge whether or not I've had enough

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
I've thrown up from kava four or five times now. It's generally not about amount for me, just patience and waiting between shells. I also sometimes keep my kava grounds longer than I should for repeat use, which can make a brew that is not kind to the tummy.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
@Ed! Have you found the amount of time it takes for kava grounds to go bad? I've had a couple experiences where i think i let the used grounds go too long. For me, it just made a bad tasting beverage and maybe some nausea but i guess what i'm asking is anyone figure out kava's "consume by" date?

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
I do three washes with my kava. I start with the traditional method, then throw the grounds in the fridge. Then I do a hot water method, and throw my grounds back in the fridge. Then I amass several sets of grounds from the first two methods (maybe 4-5) and do a third wash with hot water and an old-fashioned masticating juicer

With that third method my grounds can be sitting in the fridge for a long time while I amass enough to do it. I only notice an issue if I'm away from my kava for a month or two, so it's pretty storable.

I will say, that's the grounds though, not kava itself, which goes bad much faster. The moisture seems to be the key. If you wring out your kava grounds pretty good then they can keep in the fridge for quite a while without going bad.

Then of course if they do go bad you'll smell it. That odd chemical rubber smell that old kava gets. My problem is that I'm cheap and I don't want to waste it, so I drink it anyway. Usually that doesn't even cause issues. It's only when it's really pungent that I threw up.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Thanks for the info! I guess my kava never makes it that far, don't think i've experienced the rubbery smell.

Hey there.. funny you should mention. 2 days ago was my 2nd experience with Kava.. my first being at a kava bar in NYC.. anyway my experience at the bar was very pleasant with great uplifting, euphoric, and sedating effects. I also purchased a lb of nambawan from bkh, which not really knowing the proper dosage, I think I may have overdone it.. i used probably a little less than 1/4 lb throughout the night of the nambawan, and although I did have great effects and felt very euphoric with heady effects, the next morning was not a great experience. I woke up feeling very disoriented and dizzy and as soon as I got to work, vomited what seemed to be every single shell that I drank the night before. The disgusting thing is that my mouth was numb from the kava yet again, even on the way up. I spent the rest of the day in bed and woke up at about 8pm still having my stomache in a knot.. possibly overexcess? I think so.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Nothing to worry about. I'be been enjoying kava regularly for many years and still get caught out by the occasional projectile vomit - most recently last night in fact.
It was my last shell of the night and my stomach just did not want it. As soon as it bit the bottom of my stomach I knew it wasn't going to stay long. Strangely it was clear, not kava coloured, so perhaps that means none was wasted.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
2 years of kava drinking, never thrown up. Not that I haven't been really nauseous because of drinking a large volume of it. Ginger beer, ginger ale, orange juice alongside the kava really helps get that flavor out of your mouth after having a shell. even better is eating some fresh fruit. The main cause of my nausea is having kava on an empty stomach for too long. The best experiences with kava I've had is when I time the drinking of enough shells to having a good meal afterward. The right food will only enhance the kava floating around in your stomach as your stomach starts working. Plus, it'll soak that mess up and won't leave you feeling like a water balloon that's about to burst.

EDIT: I'll also say that my tolerance of sheer volume of kava drops considerably when I'm drinking Micronized as compared to medium grind root, tradtionally prepared and strained. The sediment factor is just much more apparent with micronized. I am giving a good test of Kava King's Micro Vanuatu drink at the moment we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I've never gotten sick, but I came close when I switched kava strainer bags a few weeks ago. It was a coarser bag and so let more through, and I squeezed twice the amount that I normally do. Couldn't walk straight. Was very unpleasant but didn't spew. Probably would have been better if I had. I was super dizzy for a couple of hours.

KavaCat

Meow.
I have never actually thrown up kava, though there were a couple of times where boroguru made me feel like I might. So I would say like everyone else, and ease back on the strong stuff. Also, I notice that about the motion sickness with the strong kavas, too. Exact same experience here. It's not weird! I know when I post questions like this here on occasion, I just want to know that this isn't "just me". It's not just you. :)

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I love necro threads!

I have had one episode of pufferfish face (as in it never escaped the gullet), but I forced that stuff back down. GHK can be pricy no wasty for me!
:eek::sick:::chugger::

K

Kava Steve

the new Vanuatu strain from Kava Kava R Us.... Just tried 1tbs two times, 1 hour apart and both times the taste made me want to throw up... Mouth salivated but didn't follow through... I won't be having any more of this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.