What's new

First shell being weird

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Anyone else get where the first shell gives them jitters or anxiety and then from there on it's all good? I get all the side effects after my first bowl and weirdly I sometimes sweat, have to go #2, and about 20 minutes later I'm good and ready to continue shelling through the evening with no anxiety or anything.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Also, kava is subtly psychedellic. Maybe blatantly at higher doses. With psychedelics generally there is a barrier to go through which can be an initial period of anxiety or restlessness.

Krunkonaut

The life of a kavaholic
Also, kava is subtly psychedellic. Maybe blatantly at higher doses. With psychedelics generally there is a barrier to go through which can be an initial period of anxiety or restlessness.
A few years back, I introduced kava to a friend of mine who occasionally used psychedelics. He told me that the first effects of kava felt very similar to the first effects of a low dose of shrooms. I found this comparison very interesting. I think it's because desmethoxyyangonin increases dopamine levels. It does feel very similar to my ADHD- medication.

Last edited:

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
The first shell is always my favorite. That feeling isn't anxiety-inducing for me, but rather it's like a mini-rush of energy and feel-good giddiness. But subsequent shells are definitely subtler and bring more of the laid-back relaxation.

IloveKava23

Kava Curious
Nambawan for me does this almost every time if the shell "hits" and works good. That first shell give me jittery anxiousness than it smooths out to pleasantness.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
for me, there are certain kavas...or certain nights with certain kavas...where i can get the jittery feeling 2-3 shells in and after it passes, it's all good. i can use the same kava another night and it won't happen, but still some are more likely to cause it than others. it almost never happebs to me on the first shell though. I remember a time that it did, BKH used to have a different melo melo several years ago and one shell of that, the 1st time i had it, felt like drinking 3 big fresh shells in vanuatu...or like drinking a few ml of ghb or something.It didn't happen like that every night though...there might be a few other times where first shells have done that to me, but there's more night where it's been the 2nd or 3rd shell. For the most part, it doesn't happen to me. I gravitate toward balanced or balanced/heavy cultivars so that might be why it doesn't happen to me often. I also think there's a genetic aspect to how certain kavalactones behave in an individual that can be somewhat different from someone else.