What's new

Kava Physiology First shell vs the other?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
If you guys have just 1 shell of moderate potent grog is it stimulating ? Vs the other ones tend to melt you away a little more?
Yes, typically the more you drink the more sedated you get. Kava isn't a stimulant so those types of effects are short lived and fade into a more sedating and relaxed vibe as you continue to shell. Of course all effects on the spectrum vary widely depending on what you are drinking.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
For me the first shell is the most important, and can set the tone for the rest of the night. I find if I go light on the first shell, that subsequent shells don't quite get me to the headspace I want to be in no matter how strong or how many I have. In my experience I like the first shell to be wicked strong, and then shells after that are weaker or smaller amounts to keep the good times rolling.

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
For me the first shell is the most important, and can set the tone for the rest of the night. I find if I go light on the first shell, that subsequent shells don't quite get me to the headspace I want to be in no matter how strong or how many I have. In my experience I like the first shell to be wicked strong, and then shells after that are weaker or smaller amounts to keep the good times rolling.
How do you prep? How much?

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
On average 8-10 TBS per night. Usually my first shell is 4 TBS worth. Most of the time I do traditional prep with a strainer bag. If I am in a hurry or need to grab and go I use the aluball.
Used to drink a ton of kava till i started getting crazy anxiety the morning after. Then one day after a long break had a whole bunch and woke up with an insanely puffy red face and swollen everywhere. Really red, was crazy! Haven’t touched it till last week, probably a year off. Just had 2tbs traditional prep of kava supreme. No bad reaction. Maybe thinking I gotta ease into it. Still treading lightly.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Used to drink a ton of kava till i started getting crazy anxiety the morning after. Then one day after a long break had a whole bunch and woke up with an insanely puffy red face and swollen everywhere. Really red, was crazy! Haven’t touched it till last week, probably a year off. Just had 2tbs traditional prep of kava supreme. No bad reaction. Maybe thinking I gotta ease into it. Still treading lightly.
Just for reference we see this happen occasionally with people who may have consumed alcohol too closely in conjunction with kava. If that isn't the case I would definitely suggest you go easy because it sounds like you may have the beginnings of a kava allergy.

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
Just for reference we see this happen occasionally with people who may have consumed alcohol too closely in conjunction with kava. If that isn't the case I would definitely suggest you go easy because it sounds like you may have the beginnings of a kava allergy.
But wouldn’t it happen every time ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
But wouldn’t it happen every time ?
If it's a kava allergy then it most likely would happen almost every time if not every time. If it's a "one off" issue like a medicine or alcohol conflict, then no it shouldn't cause the inflammation and rash every time.

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
If it's a kava allergy then it most likely would happen almost every time if not every time. If it's a "one off" issue like a medicine or alcohol conflict, then no it shouldn't cause the inflammation and rash every time.
It’s only happened once, maybe twice but I can’t remember.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
It’s only happened once, maybe twice but I can’t remember.
Ah ha. If it were me, and I'm pretty hard headed, I'd try different strains from other vendors to see if that might be the issue. It's possible that the specific batch you've gotten just doesn't agree with you in some odd way.

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
Ah ha. If it were me, and I'm pretty hard headed, I'd try different strains from other vendors to see if that might be the issue. It's possible that the specific batch you've gotten just doesn't agree with you in some odd way.
So far supreme has been fine on two occasions but it’s been very small
Amounts like I said.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So far supreme has been fine on two occasions but it’s been very small
Amounts like I said.
If you're doing small amounts and not seeing the reaction, I'd say it's the way this specific kava is interacting with your system personally. If you get the same rash with other kavas you're most likely experiencing kava allergy.

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
If you're doing small amounts and not seeing the reaction, I'd say it's the way this specific kava is interacting with your system personally. If you get the same rash with other kavas you're most likely experiencing kava allergy.
Thought so too.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Always best to take it slow. I do think there is enough variblity in kava strains that you could have had an issue with a particular strain and/or method of cleaning, drying and grinding of the kava.