What's new

First time user- drowsiness

S. Smith

Hi everyone, I tried Kava for the first time today from Kalm with Kava. I purchased the Tongan Kava Poini Ono since I was told that would be energizing and mood enhancing but the least sedating of all the varieties. I first tried 1 tsp and got no effect, then tried 2 tsp. After 2 tsp, I feel very drowsy. Is this normal? Is this part of the "reverse tolerance"? I was looking for a variety to cause euphoria and sociability but this just really makes me want to take a nap. :/

Thanks everyone

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi everyone, I tried Kava for the first time today from Kalm with Kava. I purchased the Tongan Kava Poini Ono since I was told that would be heady but the least sedating of all the varieties. I first tried 1 tsp and got no effect, then tried 2 tsp. After 2 tsp, I feel very drowsy. Is this normal? Is this part of the "reverse tolerance"? I was looking for a variety to cause euphoria and sociability but this just really makes me want to take a nap. :/

Thanks everyone
For a very few people heady kavas may have the opposite reaction, I've heard other members mentioning it. Try something that we may consider more balanced or heavy, KWK Vula Waka feels along those lines or a heavier one like KWK Borongoru.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I think it takes a while to perceive "heady" vs "heavy" and everything in between with kava. I'd been drinking almost daily for 20 years before I even heard the terms used.
If you've just started then I wouldn't get too concerned about it...just keep drinking..

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hi everyone, I tried Kava for the first time today from Kalm with Kava. I purchased the Tongan Kava Poini Ono since I was told that would be heady but the least sedating of all the varieties. I first tried 1 tsp and got no effect, then tried 2 tsp. After 2 tsp, I feel very drowsy. Is this normal? Is this part of the "reverse tolerance"? I was looking for a variety to cause euphoria and sociability but this just really makes me want to take a nap. :/

Thanks everyone
fwiw KWK Pouni Ono is one of the few kavas that actually makes me drowsy. It is certainly probably the most sedating heady kava I ever had. I love it, but often drink it blended with a good Fijian waka, to tone down that drowsiness factor a bit and it does work for me.

S. Smith

Glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling sleepy with it. I'm not looking for anything sedating, but rather something more uplifting and would give me energy (that's what the guys at KWK said Pouni Ono would do, anyway). Can anyone recommend something that would be more energizing, good for socializing, whatever is least sedating of all the Kavas, since I didn't have very good luck with this one? Thank you!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling sleepy with it. I'm not looking for anything sedating, but rather something more uplifting and would give me energy (that's what the guys at KWK said Pouni Ono would do, anyway). Can anyone recommend something that would be more energizing, good for socializing, whatever is least sedating of all the Kavas, since I didn't have very good luck with this one? Thank you!
Try Tongans, maybe a Fijian Lawena, there is a good one from Squanch or a Hawaiian like Moi.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Well, if you're new to kava, just remember that "energizing" and such other terms have to be understood in context. Afterall, Kava is consistently understood as a relaxing beverage, whether heavy or heady. I wish I could tell you what to do, but from what I can gather, it
Every kava is going to be somewhat relaxing. I find that what makes me drowsy is hit and miss and requires trial and error. Mo'i, for example, is often cited as among the least drowsy and most heady, but it has made me drowsy none the less. Kava Time's Kadavu, on the other hand, is definitely heavy, but I have found myself fully awake after drinking it and ready to socialize. I just placed a new order of Kava Time's Ovalau's Heritage. I remember that as being heady and non-sedating, I'll try to remember to let you know what my experience is when I get it. Nevertheless, I think everybody's body chemistry is a bit different, so sometimes it just takes some (expensive) trial and error. Recommendations and reviews amount for me as suggestions of what to try, but my experiences don't always match the experiences of others.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
It's a good kava, for sure, and I guess most people find it very heady and energizing, but a few of us find it makes us drowsy. If that bothers you definitely save it and next time you have some decent Fijian waka try a blend. That will offset much of the drowsiness, allowing you to more enjoy Pouni's heady properties, or at least, that works very well for me.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Hi everyone, I tried Kava for the first time today from Kalm with Kava. I purchased the Tongan Kava Poini Ono since I was told that would be energizing and mood enhancing but the least sedating of all the varieties. I first tried 1 tsp and got no effect, then tried 2 tsp. After 2 tsp, I feel very drowsy. Is this normal? Is this part of the "reverse tolerance"? I was looking for a variety to cause euphoria and sociability but this just really makes me want to take a nap. :/

Thanks everyone
Kava is a relaxant and as such won't be stimulating at the same levels of caffeine or other stimulants. Less sedating varieties seem to increase certain neuronal activity which I think is what people perceive as stimulation. For me, generally all kava enhances sleep and makes me tired at a high enough dose. The exceptions would be KT Savusavu and Squanch Waka. I always have a hard time sleeping after them unless I blend or add something heavy.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast

Thanks everyone
Just want to give my first impression of Ovalau's Heritage. It is definately heady, but might be a little sedating; I can't quite tell because I am perpetually sleep-deprived lately. I do think the current batch is a bit more potent than the last one. I think I've had 8 tablespoons plus a second wash from what I drank this morning and I am pretty doped.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Just want to give my first impression of Ovalau's Heritage. It is definately heady, but might be a little sedating; I can't quite tell because I am perpetually sleep-deprived lately. I do think the current batch is a bit more potent than the last one. I think I've had 8 tablespoons plus a second wash from what I drank this morning and I am pretty doped.
I didn't know there was more than one batch of Ovalau's Heritage. The one I got when it first appeared is very strong and balanced and has significant sedative properties, IMO. Tastes very interesting in a pleasant way, as one would expect from KT

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
I think it takes a while to perceive "heady" vs "heavy" and everything in between with kava. I'd been drinking almost daily for 20 years before I even heard the terms used.
If you've just started then I wouldn't get too concerned about it...just keep drinking..

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk
..."just keep drinking." And....microphone dropped.