What's new

First Time with Dermopathy (Healed/Need Advice)

CCKavaGuy

Kava Curious
So, I enjoyed Kava for many, many months with mostly good effects. It is hard for me to get down, so I had the occasional bought of nausea here and there. That was normally when I had a mild cold and trying to clear my throat went a little too far.
My question is this: I got dermopathy and it was bad. I flaked and shedded and just didn't like it. I probably made it worse by continuing my evening Kava during this time.

I stopped altogether a little over two weeks ago and all of my skin is finally back to normal. I hate to give up Kava altogether. For those of you with experience, how long do I need to wait before I can have a nightly Kava beverage. I know that I was overdoing it a bit (3 drinks, 1 every 3 hours, each with 2.5 TBL's of Micro Kava).

I'd be fine with just one evening beverage, but I would like someone with more experience to let me know how much longer I need to wait before I can give it a shot.

Thanks everyone. This is my first post here. I am happy to have located a community that looks to be filled with great people.

I look forward to your advice.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So, I enjoyed Kava for many, many months with mostly good effects. It is hard for me to get down, so I had the occasional bought of nausea here and there. That was normally when I had a mild cold and trying to clear my throat went a little too far.
My question is this: I got dermopathy and it was bad. I flaked and shedded and just didn't like it. I probably made it worse by continuing my evening Kava during this time.

I stopped altogether a little over two weeks ago and all of my skin is finally back to normal. I hate to give up Kava altogether. For those of you with experience, how long do I need to wait before I can have a nightly Kava beverage. I know that I was overdoing it a bit (3 drinks, 1 every 3 hours, each with 2.5 TBL's of Micro Kava).

I'd be fine with just one evening beverage, but I would like someone with more experience to let me know how much longer I need to wait before I can give it a shot.

Thanks everyone. This is my first post here. I am happy to have located a community that looks to be filled with great people.

I look forward to your advice.
I've had pretty bad dermapothy in the past, and what cleared it up for me (while still continuing to imbibe) was that I swapped over to 100% noble kava. Since that time I have had little to no issues with dermapothy. I'm not sure what type of kava you're drinking, but if it's dirty (aka, mixed with non-noble types) it will give you skin effects extremely quickly compared to drinking noble kava.

CCKavaGuy

Kava Curious
Thank you... The 'vendor' I got it from sells other items besides Kava, but he & I have chatted over the years about various things and he told me it was noble. I don't have any reason to doubt him, but anything is possible. I did use this same stuff for probably 6-7 months without issues. It was when I added in the multiple drinks per evening that I started getting into trouble. About two weeks after that, I had a red rash that moved around, then pretty much a half body flake fest that has finally ended.

I don't want to give it up forever, but I also want to respect my body. I am VERY tempted to have some this evening (just one) and see what happens.

That skin stuff was NOT pleasant. That is how I found this forum. It has the most awesome post regarding it. I think it may have been you that created that, but I can not remember off the top of my head.

Since you have been through it, do you think I should wait longer? Try a different Kava? If so, a micro recommendation available in the US would be welcome.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
To be 100% honest, most vendors who were selling mixed kava...didn't know it either. So it's kind of an eye opening thing for all of us.

I'd suggest that you give another type of kava a shot.

Head over to:
Gourmet Hawaiian Kava - My suggestion is the micronized sampler

Kalm with Kava - Suggestion is the micronized samplers as well

Bula Kava House - They don't currently have a micronized sampler, but the medium grind sample pack is awesome. It'll help you discover which kava you like the most.

CCKavaGuy

Kava Curious
Thanks... I've ordered Kalm with Kava before, but was unaware they had a sampler.
You are awesome, my friend. Thank you!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Try taking coconut oil daily. I normally drink kava strong and daily and since I've been using coconut oil capsules I've had only the mildest skin issues, normally just a bit of itching coupled with dry hands which some emollient sorts out.

CCKavaGuy

Kava Curious
I grabbed some of that too. I plan to shoot for 4 Grams (spread out) a day when possible. Unless you think it is okay to do it all at once.

CCKavaGuy

Kava Curious
I ordered the Kalm sample pack from Amazon, so it will be here for the weekend.

Should I hang tight or is it your opinion that if my micro IS a mix that one time would flare the skin condition back up? I can go either way. I'm 15 days removed from consumption, so another couple of days won't be huge. I have had a couple of days of mentally draining computer upgrades and just want to chill. Not interested in alcohol.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I ordered the Kalm sample pack from Amazon, so it will be here for the weekend.

Should I hang tight or is it your opinion that if my micro IS a mix that one time would flare the skin condition back up? I can go either way. I'm 15 days removed from consumption, so another couple of days won't be huge. I have had a couple of days of mentally draining computer upgrades and just want to chill. Not interested in alcohol.
One time may aggravate the skin condition temporarily, but it shouldn't send you into 100% dermapothy with one session. The 15 days gave you ample padding in terms of time before dermapothy sets in again.

CCKavaGuy

Kava Curious
I went ahead and held off... I still had to put a little lotion on last night for a little lingering dry skin. I'll give it a shot with some of the items you recommended over the weekend. The Kalm with Kava sampler will arrive tomorrow.

I was getting to a good place with 2-2.5 Tablespoons of the micro I have been using. Would you consider that excessive? I was planning to start with 2 Tablespoons of the Kalm product tomorrow night and see how it makes me feel. I usually use minimal water, chug it down, then drink a large glass of ice water afterwards for hydration.

If you have any further tips, I'd appreciate it. I'm two days into taking Coconut Oil now. I'm doing around 4 Grams of that a day, once in the morning and again around dinner time.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:

EQ

Atman
I went ahead and held off... I still had to put a little lotion on last night for a little lingering dry skin. I'll give it a shot with some of the items you recommended over the weekend. The Kalm with Kava sampler will arrive tomorrow.

I was getting to a good place with 2-2.5 Tablespoons of the micro I have been using. Would you consider that excessive? I was planning to start with 2 Tablespoons of the Kalm product tomorrow night and see how it makes me feel. I usually use minimal water, chug it down, then drink a large glass of ice water afterwards for hydration.

If you have any further tips, I'd appreciate it. I'm two days into taking Coconut Oil now. I'm doing around 4 Grams of that a day, once in the morning and again around dinner time.

Thanks again everyone.
Another thing is Micro causes dermo quicker in my experience. Switching to Medium Grind would help. +1 for Coconut oil as well.

CCKavaGuy

Kava Curious
EQ, with medium grind, do have I have to go through a drawn out straining process or is it mix & consume, like the micronized? Thank you for your advice.

EQ

Atman
EQ, with medium grind, do have I have to go through a drawn out straining process or is it mix & consume, like the micronized? Thank you for your advice.
The Traditional Method is to squeeze root in a strainer bag for 5-10 minutes. Many enjoy this for it can be relaxing, and see the value in the better taste it produces. I like kneading.

An alternative is to use a blender, and then strain out the thicker bits.

Medium is cheaper, tastes better, and causes less dermo vs. Micro. I have no experience with Instant.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I (mostly) have switched off of microgrind to medium grind (both traditional prep and aluball) and my dermo issues are much better. I went 7-8 months on GHKs microgrind before the dermo hit bad. I took two weeks off and within 1 week of starting back up the dermo was back in full force. After switching to medium grind I get a little dryness but not like I had it before - dried cracked lips, scaly skin, and styes in my eyes. Not pleasant at all..

CCKavaGuy

Kava Curious
Okay, so my Kalm with Kava products arrived.
Since all of you have a lot more Kava knowledge than i do, what should I expect to be different between Loa Waka and Borogu?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I grabbed some of that too. I plan to shoot for 4 Grams (spread out) a day when possible. Unless you think it is okay to do it all at once.
Sorry, didn't see this. Try to quote or @CCKavaGuy people so they know you've replied. I spread mine out into 2 doses, 2g a time with my meals.

Okay, so my Kalm with Kava products arrived.
Since all of you have a lot more Kava knowledge than i do, what should I expect to be different between Loa Waka and Borogu?
Loa waka is heady, more euphoria. I find I get a bit jittery on heady Fijians. Only tried this one a couple of times and found it to be not what I'm looking for. Borogu is more balanced with a touch of heavy and some sedation afterwards. Overall I find Borogu solid, relaxing and reliable, especially the micro.

CCKavaGuy

Kava Curious
Sorry, didn't see this. Try to quote or @CCKavaGuy people so they know you've replied. I spread mine out into 2 doses, 2g a time with my meals.

Loa waka is heady, more euphoria. I find I get a bit jittery on heady Fijians. Only tried this one a couple of times and found it to be not what I'm looking for. Borogu is more balanced with a touch of heavy and some sedation afterwards. Overall I find Borogu solid, relaxing and reliable, especially the micro.
Thanks... I did 2.5 Tablespoons of the Loa Waka... Very mild effect so far. Thank you for your reply and your tips. What I drank, is that a large amount or normal amount? I'm not really sure on the amounts, as they have 2-4 Teaspoons on their container. I feel a little relaxation, but nothing major. Euphoria sounds good... That's where I'd like to get to tonight. It was a long weekend day at work that I didn't expect.

Thanks again.

EQ

Atman
Thanks... I did 2.5 Tablespoons of the Loa Waka... Very mild effect so far. Thank you for your reply and your tips. What I drank, is that a large amount or normal amount? I'm not really sure on the amounts, as they have 2-4 Teaspoons on their container. I feel a little relaxation, but nothing major. Euphoria sounds good... That's where I'd like to get to tonight. It was a long weekend day at work that I didn't expect.

Thanks again.
That's a light dose.
Try Double.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor

Thanks again.
Is that micro or med grind? For med grind you'd want a bit more but if that's micro then you should be feeling it. Could be just your first time with that root, happens to me sometimes, I don't always get a lot from the first time with a new root.

CCKavaGuy

Kava Curious
Is that micro or med grind? For med grind you'd want a bit more but if that's micro then you should be feeling it. Could be just your first time with that root, happens to me sometimes, I don't always get a lot from the first time with a new root.
It was micro... I upped it to 3 Tablespoons at first and then sipped another over an hour. Much more of a calming effect tonight.
Thank you for your advice. I will continue to experiment.