What's new

First time....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
IMO, soaking is pretty pointless if that's what you mean. Kavalactones aren't water soluble so it doesn't really do anything. It won't hurt it though.

karly

The fluffy pic.
Wow, 4 tablespoons of Nambawan to two cups of water, a double rinse and spaced each shell by 20 minutes each and nothing. lol Oh my goodness. AND I kneaded the crap out of it too... sigh.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Sorry to hear that, sounds like you are still going through some reverse tolerance. Empty stomach? FWIW I've been drinking for years and would use 8-12 tbsp of nambawan.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
If that meal you made earlier was eaten right before you had your kava, that would definitely impair the buzz. There should always be several hours after eating, when you drink kava, if you have the choice. Also, like kavadude said, it would take about 8+ tbsp to have a full effect. It requires more root when you make the traditional prep., compared you micro.
All is not lost, you could always pop some micronized right now and see if it kicks it all in.

karly

The fluffy pic.
Sorry to hear that, sounds like you are still going through some reverse tolerance. Empty stomach? FWIW I've been drinking for years and would use 8-12 tbsp of nambawan.
Omygoodness, that's a lot! Maybe I'll try some instant right now. Funny, they said that the Nambawan was not for newbies (I think they meant because of the taste) but it tasted better than the micro. That does NOT mean it tasted good!!!!!! :D

FYI to anyone, I chew a stick of gum after drinking a shell, that's my chaser. And no on the empty stomach, I ate prior to drinking it.

~ Kava ♥ ~

karly

The fluffy pic.
If that meal you made earlier was eaten right before you had your kava, that would definitely impair the buzz. There should always be several hours after eating, when you drink kava, if you have the choice. Also, like kavadude said, it would take about 8+ tbsp to have a full effect. It requires more root when you make the traditional prep., compared you micro.
All is not lost, you could always pop some micronized right now and see if it kicks it all in.
Ahhhhh ok, maybe it was the food. Micro it is then!

Last edited:

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Kave doesn't seem to help my delayed sleep phase syndrome. It may be making the occasional non-24 hour cycle happen faster. I really need to detox from caffeine. It's just so tiring being 93.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
IMO, soaking is pretty pointless if that's what you mean. Kavalactones aren't water soluble so it doesn't really do anything. It won't hurt it though.
One question. If I understand the biology of kavalactones, one needs to break the cell walls to release the k̶r̶a̶k̶e̶n̶ kavalactones. Soaking, then, might weaken the wall?

I'm not a supersoaker. My current method is to put it in the strainer bag, put the bag in water, knead for five minutes, and then pour into a serving container.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
plant cell walls are actually pretty tough! in my experience, soaking in water doesn't really do anything to them. the majority of the breaking-down is during the grinding process and then the kneading is just to force the kavalactones to mix with water.

karly

The fluffy pic.
Update: About 5 hours after the last shell (of which was two of the 11 year) after 5 of the Namb, I fell into a very dark emotional place. It's a place I don't like to visit but was pretty much overwhelmed by it. Lasted about 40 minutes and then I ate something and slept pretty sound and long. This morning I felt a bit hazy but nothing to write home about. Not sure if I'm going to have any today.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I've been there, Karly.

We don't talk about it here much because it's really not that common. The first time I noticed it was when I was drinking Shaman and watching the Doctor Who cartoon "Dreamland." The character of Jimmy Stalkingwolf isn't generically anti-government, he is specifically anti-government because he's an aboriginal American, and the government has screwed his specific First People's Nation in the past in specific ways that makes him very untrusting. Elizabeth and I were having problems playing it properly, so we rebooted and tried again.

The first time he said "Yeah, Cassie, and they're the Army. They can do whatever they want. They've been doing it ever since the Bear River massacre," the kava hadn't kicked in, and I found the line to be almost silly. It's that whole ironic vibe of the early 21st century. The second time, I teared up. Kava makes one sincere.

The best way to avoid falling into that dark place is to be sincere and to surround yourself with sincerity. My prefered method is My Little Pony. It has a large following because it is part of a new sincerity movement. Sarcasm, cynicism, and irony are such a huge part of normal life, but kava smashes through all of that, and it can either leave you in a mess or it can lead you out of the prison.

Sorry we didn't warn you. You had to find out for yourself.

karly

The fluffy pic.
I've been there, Karly.

We don't talk about it here much because it's really not that common. The first time I noticed it was when I was drinking Shaman and watching the Doctor Who cartoon "Dreamland." The character of Jimmy Stalkingwolf isn't generically anti-government, he is specifically anti-government because he's an aboriginal American, and the government has screwed his specific First People's Nation in the past in specific ways that makes him very untrusting. Elizabeth and I were having problems playing it properly, so we rebooted and tried again.

The first time he said "Yeah, Cassie, and they're the Army. They can do whatever they want. They've been doing it ever since the Bear River massacre," the kava hadn't kicked in, and I found the line to be almost silly. It's that whole ironic vibe of the early 21st century. The second time, I teared up. Kava makes one sincere.

The best way to avoid falling into that dark place is to be sincere and to surround yourself with sincerity. My prefered method is My Little Pony. It has a large following because it is part of a new sincerity movement. Sarcasm, cynicism, and irony are such a huge part of normal life, but kava smashes through all of that, and it can either leave you in a mess or it can lead you out of the prison.

Sorry we didn't warn you. You had to find out for yourself.
It's ok, it's a place I need to come to terms with anyway and I know that but it was painful nonetheless. Really it doesn't surprise me that that's where I went as it's in the forefront of who I am right now. It did surprise me last night though! lol I was feeling the kava a bit last night but not really knowing how it's supposed to feel I'm having a hard time identifying it as, "hey, this is the kava!" Although, while engulfed in the dark place, I knew it was the kava.

This is a journey and I imagine each journey is different. I'm not giving up or pulling out and I'm fine being honest about my experiences. Thank you so much for your insight and guidance, I appreciate it very much. I feel very much at home here ironically enough.

~ Kava ♥ ~

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
We gotta have a sunday night chat again. I had a nice chat with Karly the other night while I was enjoying a bowl of my mojo mix.

We can all hold a flash light for each other. Wee, flash light train! ::awesomesmiles::

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
@karly I've seen a good portion of your posts on the forum prior to fully reading this thread; I'm glad you're smoothly riding the waves of kava to see just how you feel each and every time you make the next batch. It was quite the conundrum initially for me, what with the preparation and all, but in contrast to others I never exactly experienced a reverse tolerance for w/e reason. Regardless that was before and now it has yet to let me down in any manner (excluding preference of cultivar etc...). I'm very grateful I discovered kava in the first place....or that it found me?;) It's not something I feel I *need* but something that's versatile no matter when I choose to partake in it.

Now to address another point you've made: I've been in that dark dreary place with kava before but I personally came to a realization that this particular herbal remedy has the ability to enhance or heighten certain characteristics of your disposition; mood is one of those things. When you're upset and stay that way even after kava's consumed (sad but it can happen) it allows you to choose for yourself whether or not you're going to continue expressing that emotion. Don't get me wrong though, I actually see this as a plus because due to the hyper-awareness I'm able to reevaluate my attitude (y). Overall many feel that heavier kavas can be the culprit in these situations; heavy specifically because Dhm (sedating/muscle melting compound) laden cultivars tend to have that impact on me more so than ones leaning more towards kavain.

Lastly it's not the least bit strange that you feel at home here and quite a few members've said the same of this forum. We're a big family and for the most part our continuous reunions are in merriment. ::amirite::::awesomesmiles::::chugger::

D

Deactivated Account

Wow, 4 tablespoons of Nambawan to two cups of water, a double rinse and spaced each shell by 20 minutes each and nothing. lol Oh my goodness. AND I kneaded the crap out of it too... sigh.
My kava ideas are often diff to main stream but I would bet London to a brick you've got a batch of crap kava & believe me they exist.

Your doing nothing wrong.

I've thrown kilos of it into the garden over the years.